Keep a Long Gun in the Trunk?

Logicman said:
Was curious on what people think? Good idea or bad idea...?

Is it going to be a problem for you the next time you are pulled over for speeding? Mr. Logicman, do you have any weapons in the vehicle?

Are you the sort who would leave his car for service or drive through a bit of NJ without remembering the longarm in the trunk (I certainly am)?

Not saying it's a bad idea, just that you would want to take into account fairly ordinary interactions.

No CCW in Canada so I legally keep this in the back seat of my truck.

79Pvx0Pl.jpg

Leave the shotgun in the bedroom and bring a rifle with you. If you already conceal carry a handgun, guy a carbine that uses the same mags as your handgun. I doubt you'll be shooting further than 150 yards, so you don't need a rifle cartridge.

This is why I'm a big fan of the Kel Tec Sub 2000. Sure, the trigger isn't great by any measure, but they have a good reputation for reliability and folding it up saves a lot of space and it can be tucked away in a backpack or a suitcase if you need to and have it out and ready in seconds.

Oh, but you like in New York, the land where pistol grips are deadlier than Heroin and Big Gulps. Look into the Ruger PC Carbine.

If you're not carrying a pistol, then I would go with a Mini-14 or a lever action in .357 Mag.

I started contemplating this several years ago when a group of belligerent sport bikers accosted the driver of an SUV after a collision that was induced by the rider who was struck. It was ugly.

I really wanted to put together a .300blk AR pistol, but could not envision a scenario in which I could access it without putting myself in greater danger than if I remained at the wheel. Provided the vehicle is not incapacitated, it is a formidable weapon unto itself, and one that is at the ready at all times when you are driving. A defensive/offensive driving course would probably serve as well or better than a tactical rifle course.

All said, as long as you can mitigate the chance of the firearm being stolen and you are not putting yourself in any legal jeopardy by simply possessing it, it could certainly provide a sense of security. I'm not very familiar with NY law, but my vote would be for whichever would be the shortest and handiest legal option, in the event that you need to use it within the confines of the vehicle cabin.

not a good idea, think of how likely you would ever be in a situation to use your firearm during a mass shooting or something like that?

probably one in a million chance right?

now think of the chance on your car getting broken into while parked in your driveway late at night?

the chances on the gun getting stolen are much higher than ever having to grab it to defend yourself in public.

A bolt through a sturdy piece of metal (floorboard, trunk support, etc.) holding a piece of chain or cable and a combination lock through the trigger guard should prevent theft.
Having a long gun with you is a good idea because you can use it if you are at work, or are forced to stay somewhere because of inclement weather, riots, and the like.

I always kept a Henry Survival Rifle behind the seat in my truck. I can't give it a super review. It is better than nothing though. I'd say, if it was heavier, it would make a good club.

On its face, admittedly not knowing a ton about .30 carbine ballistics, I have to question how that would be advantageous over a .357mag, especially when considering a much shorter barrel and the much wider selection of ammunition.

On its face, admittedly not knowing a ton about .30 carbine ballistics, I have to question how that would be advantageous over a .357mag, especially when considering a much shorter barrel and the much wider selection of ammunition.
I have a .357 Blackhawk & a Firestar .45. Both very dependable. I usually shoot .38s in the Blackhawk. I had a .30 caliber carbine. So so. It is lightweight though, and easy to swing around. I know there was an M2 & and M3 carbine. One full auto & one ( I believe ) designed for infrared.

I have a .357 Blackhawk & a Firestar .45. Both very dependable. I usually shoot .38s in the Blackhawk. I had a .30 caliber carbine. So so. It is lightweight though, and easy to swing around. I know there was an M2 & and M3 carbine. One full auto & one ( I believe ) designed for infrared.

Yes, the M1 Carbine is not without merit. I'm questioning the merit of a revolver chambered in .30 carbine over a much more commonplace, for what I can only assume good reason, revolver chambered in .357mag.

Back