Karate vs. Judo

are you serious

I see so many of you recommending Judo over some form of Karate. Have any of you actually taken Judo? Karate? How long?

I've been in Karate (TKD, Tang-so-do, and others) over 20 years. Have a 4th black in TKD, red in TSD, and green in Judo. I tend to show up at other schools to see how they train and their techniques (no, I am not there to challenge or be tough, I keep an open mind).

I understand the original poster wanted to take just one semester. Pitiful. You will learn so little, and unless you practice what you learn often, you will forget. It would be like taking a basic NRA pistol class then never touching a gun again.

If self defense is what you are looking for, pure self defense, search around for a real good kick-boxing class taught by at least a state champion. The trouble with Judo is you have to get within kissing range to throw your opponent (though when you do throw, hard, it can take the fight out of anyone). Most people are not going to let you to go around hugging them. They will either keep just a bit of distance and punch and kick the dickens out of you, or when huggy time comes, elbow your teeth out.

Check the class you would want to take for such as this:

a) no kids in class, b) by the end of class everyone dog tired, c) lots of hands on self-defense and sparing, d) the instructor has rigid control over class (yes rigid, no joking, no talking, no goofing off. When he pops the whip, you do.), e) read the flyers the class puts out. If any 'you don't need a gun, this art will do all' type stupidity is printed, skip the class.

Put forth 110 percent at each class. Then practice outside of class what you have learned. Stick with it for at least a year. Who knows, you might just like it enough to become you idea of exercise (which is what happened to me). I consider Karate both my exercise and my basic form of self defense, just like I consider IDPA my form of relaxation as well as my training for self defense.

Deaf Smith

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. If one only had a limited amount of time, the balance one should learn almost immediately in Judo should, alone, be worth the (admittedly meager) investment. OTOH, the same amount of training in TKD is likely to get the user having his rear handed to him, if he tries to use it.

Posted by Deaf Smith:

"I understand the original poster wanted to take just one semester. Pitiful."

we all have to start somewhere.

and Rakekniven did say "Anyway, I plan on shopping around more for good local marital arts training, but at this moment I'm looking for something cheap that will give me a foundation to build on."

someone once told me that there are as many different martial arts as there are people who practice them. (if you take my meaning.)

Yes, I am serious.

Deaf Smith,

You make some very good points about how to choose a martial art for self-defense, but I think that you are not addressing the main question.

I have studied judo (a very long time ago), TKD (only a little), and more recently some jiu-jitsu. I have also gotten with a friend who is a Daitoryu Aikijitsu (sp?) expert for some individual training. All have their strong points and their weak points. I feel that a good jiu-jitsu school can offer some of the best self-defense training because of the variety of techniques which are offered. But, as you very correctly pointed out, you must take a very critical look at the instructor and the school to see exactly what and how they teach. Often it is not the style, but how the instructor presents the material and what he/she expects out of the student.

But Rakekniven does not appear to have the freedom to do this. He has two choices and they seem to be more in line with recreational activities than serious martial arts training. For all we know, the karate instructor could be Chuck Norris and may be able to give him some excellent training in a limited amount of time, much better than the judo class could give.

But that's the point. We DON'T know, and apprarently neither does he. He may not be in a good position to be able to judge.

What this question really brings out are our feelings and opinions about the various types of martial arts and what would, all other circumstances being equal, would be the best introduction for a new student.

I will stick with judo as a beginning step. But I will definitely keep and recommend to others an open mind to other styles and schools.

I heard a great quote that was attributed to the swordsman Miyamoto Musashi (I hope I got the spelling correct):

"There are various ways, each man practises as he feels inclined."

Frosty
MOLON LABE

One year of falls

Yup,
1958---One year plus of learning judo falls(Oahu Buddhist temples). No judo mats in Hawai--practice on grass or gravel covered ground)or sometimes on the wood floors. . 1960--jiujitsu on gravel covered ground, no mats...sensei's house (yards)in San Mateo, Ca.

These are not commercial schools. Many a night we practiced only in starlight or moon light.

FPrice,

Even better, 'take what is useful, discard what is useless', Bruce Lee. While I am not a fan of his, or Chuck Norris, or Van Damme, or any movie star for that matter, I am very much a believer in that statement he made.

I only hope the origional poster decides to take more than one semester, be it Judo, TKD, JKD, TSD, Kempo, or even boxing (which isn't bad at all, as long as someone is not trying to break your legs).

I took TKD in collage as a lark, it just grew on me. It served as a good base of knowledge. Later, since I really hate fancy uniforms, belts, etc... and after I sold my school, I became a 'free spirit' and started going to other schools in the area. Not to earn belts, but to learn. If I see a technique I like, and think it fits my mental and physical style, I flat steal it! Muy Thi, Hap Ki Do, Hwa Rang Do, whatever, and where ever I encounter training. I keep an open mind.

And my favorite quote, 'The spirt is to win, what ever the method' by none other than Musashi. Go Rin No Sho is one of my favorite books.

Deaf

Back