Kahr P9: Are they holding up?

Gun Rags???

I just luv the folks who bash the gun magazines for doing what most of us do...Make Money.

Any idiot who reads an article in a gun magazine, and goes out to buy the gun based on that article deserves the piece of crap they may get. We cannot forget "the buyer beware" when we buy guns. Whenever you buy anything, you take a risk. It seems to me that if Kahr is willing to stand behind their product thats good enough for me.

Kahr has only been around for 10 or so years and the P9 is a relatively new product. Its going to have bugs. Heck, people are still buying 1911s for $600.00 or more with the understanding its going to need upgrades to work right. When the P9 has been around for 5 years, I may give a hard look, but for now my personal policy stands.

"Never, never, never buy anything brand spaking new off the drawing boards. Give it some time at let the other idiot have all the problems. In 5 years the bugs will be gone and when I buy a new one, it will probably work."

Stop blaming the gun rags, and look in the mirror...thats the consumer...beware!!!

update on my return for premature slide lock. he hehe that sounds nasty :).

Anyway. I called Kahr and they did agree to repay me for shipping charges to the factory. I just faxed them the recipt from UPS.

Now I'll have to wait and see if it works when it gets back.

shiro

To Petergunn: I didn't have the luxury of waiting 5 years to see if the P9 worked. I live in California and I knew that new Kahrs could not be sold here after January 1st, 2001. They are not on the list and I don't know that they will ever be available for sale here again. I agree with you though, it is better to give a new model a few years before you buy. I think that the P9 has been out for at least 2 years.

Update on my Kahr sent back to the factory. It has returned and i've shot it. I did have two failures in the 70 or so rounds fired. One was the slide stop came partially out of frame and locked the slide in place. This happend while I was trying to camber a round from a new mag. It was not the first time firing after disasembly. This bodes ill.

The second time I don't blame the P9 as it was unusual. I was trying to improve my trigger control and I wanted to have a mix of live and dummy rounds. Not having any snap caps or similar things I loaded some empty shells in alternating with live rounds. Surprise the heck out of me that the p9 fed them perfectly even empty but one of the absoulutely refused to come out the second time (an empty reused) I had to bang the slide open. Too much friction I guess. I then stoped using empties.

I have yet to recieve promised reimbersment for my shipping charges and will have to call the factory again.

Here it is.
View

I notice the slide stop spring (under the slide top) now has a screw holding it down. I think this was added during the fix as I remember the slide stop spring plastic plate protruding away from the frame when removing the slide stop pin. I thought it was unusual at the time. Now there is a screw holding the little seperate plastic plate on the frame over the spring under the slide stop pin. Anyone have an unfixed one and wan to confirm or deny the screw ?
Here is a pic of the screw.
View

shiro

Shiroikuma,

You are not seeing things. P9's that do not have the screw and do not have the rotating slide release are the defective ones. My P9 came with the new slide release and it also had the screw to hold the slide stop spring. I have had zero failures with nearly 600+ rounds. A friend of my bought his with the previous design faults. He has had no problems since receiving it back from the factory with the modifications. Before the fix, he had the same problem as you. As for the slide stop, I believe it should be very difficult to push out. Even to the point where you need a punch to get it started (gentle pressure). If it comes out easily that could be another problem with your P9.

I believe the P9 will prove to be as dependable (already as accurate) as the K series or any other quality firearm. Khar is having some teething problems with a new product but who does not from time to time.

Miles

Mine worked fine with only the free-spinning slide stop pin. It had a square plastic plate on top of the spring. Now, whether there was a screw underneath there, I do not know. I never detail stripped the frame.

Hi Victor,

The screw should be thru the plastic plate that holds the spring and it would be visbile when you remove the slide. You may want to get the modification. The spring cover plate to frame connection is fragile and could break off from repeated disassembly (the slide release lever rubs against this plate when you remove it). When the plate is gone you will see either failures to lock on an empty mag or premature lock on a partially full one. Once the plate is gone, the spring easily gets out of alignment during firing and causes the failures.

Miles

I am waiting for MP-9.

It looks like they are fixing the slide lock problem.

Anyone concerned about the fact that P-9 is actually a spin off from a steel gun. It's a design adaptation, rather than original solution. The plug on the grip portion of the frame. The front steel rails that are offset vertically, and then another set of front rails (plastic) in line with rear rails. Anything can be made to work, but it's nicer if the components are gliding along smoothly.

Would you guys that own the guns report how they are holding up after 5-10K rounds?

$600???

I just saw a NIB P9 with factory night sights for $519 out the door.

Other Kahrs (K9, MK9) are going for $419-$440 in my area.

Shake

Back