K98 Mauser consistiantly shoots poor

Well, the bedding job is complete. It didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. The biggest frustration is obviously my novice 'smith skills , but no big deal were only talking a beater Yugo M98 capture rifle so it's not like I hagged out a valuable C&R piece. The main problem was the Devcon got into the threaded holes for the action and locked them up solid. Even though I lubed the screws it was still a major PIA to break the screws free. The Devcon also stuck to my action in a few places , and which aggravated me further was the dam Devcon did NOT stick to certain areas of wood where I wanted it to. The putty also leeched into the trigger slot and the trigger does not move all the way back so some sanding is in order.

Is the picture you posted showing the rifle being bedded? A few things I would have done differently if it were my rifle.

1. There are too much hanging there. The scope, the mount, the trigger etc, they should be dismantled.

2. I would put at least one layer of 20 mil pipe wrap on the barrel to make sure the barrel is free floating when the compound cures. If you plan to bed the barrel channel that is.

3. All metal surface is covered with relief agent, and all wood is covered with tape, even in areas that are not supposed to be contact with the compound.

4. Pay special attention to mechanical locks. All holes are plugged with clay, except holes for action screws.

5. Action screws and holes are thoroughly treated with relief agent. Q tips are used as guides for the action going into the stock, so that no compound is left on the threads. Actions screws should be in and they are to be turned loose a bit after one hour.

6. Compound is poured along the lowest point in the stock. It oozes out as the action goes in. That way there won't be any void when it cures.

7. Woods needs to decreased, roughed, or even drilled with angled anchor holes to promote adhesion.

8. When removing wood, reference points are purposed left untouched at key locations to properly locate the action in the stock.

-TL

" Devcon did NOT stick to certain areas of wood "

Did you THOROUGHLY degrease the wood surfaces, before applying the epoxy ?
If not, there's your problem. Devcon sticks "like glue" to wood - but DRY wood.

Did you drill mechanical lock holes where the epoxy was to be placed ? It is customary to drill a number of shallow (1/8" - 3/16") holes, about 3/16" dia., in the stock at different angles....where the epoxy will be placed. When the epoxy is placed, you first press it carefully into the holes to fill them, then apply the rest. This produces a "mechanical lock" of the epoxy with the stock, in addition to the adhesive qualities of the bedding material.

If the Devcon didn't stick in significant areas, then, re- degrease these areas with mineral spirits, drill some lock holes and apply more Devcon, etc.

Lastly, the problems you describe of getting epoxy into the action screw areas, trigger recess, etc. are just mistakes on your part, probably due to inexperience. Don't feel bad. It happens. What matters is how the bedding works when cleaned up. As long as the action isn't permanently glued into the stock - it can be fixed.

wpsdlrg said:
Did you THOROUGHLY degrease the wood surfaces, before applying the epoxy ?

Yes, but obviously not "thoroughly" enough. Used some mineral spirits. The inside wood of my stock is really dirty with 100+ years of gunk, dirt and solvents. Again my novice skills... LOL

I got 6" groups for 10 years, until I learned to ignore benchrest techniques espoused on the internet, and tend to the first order variables.

A week after I broke the code and got ia 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards, I got a 1/2" group.

That was 2002. I am now part of the internet know it all club.

One of the rules of my formula is to not waste time with military barrels or ammo components.

K98 Mauser consistiantly shoots poor Reply to Thread

When you must post on this site, you type in a white box that makes a redline under misspelled words (try "redline) . Then you can right click the word, and a pop-up window has correctly spelled words you can choose from, it thinks you might have meant.
So, I think your post meant your rifle constantly shoots the poor.
My range has signs to keep the poor out.
But, if they can't read, then, I guess its OK.

"consonantly" and "consistently" were other choices.

Road_Clam, Mauser sights are my least favorite. I have taken Mausers to the firing range to check accuracy. The last one was a last ditch 98, the finish was a hot dip, the stock had a shoe polish stain the the bands were tin. then there was the stock, it was laminated.

I took the rifles to the range with ammo I loaded, 10 different loads of 3 rounds each. About the time I decided the bullets were tumbling another reloader came over saying he was impressed. What I thought was tumbling bullets turned out to be clover leaf groups. Other Mausers, I have chambered several to 8mm06, then mounted scopes, I have never been disappointed with the results.

F. Guffey

Back