K-38 target masterpiece aka model 14

As you know the 38 special was born as a BP cartridge in 1898/99.

If by "born" you mean under development, yes with impetus added by the reports of failure of the .38 Long Colt in the Philippines during the Moro uprising.

Numerous sources put the commercial introduction date as 1902.

Why then (if 38 spl could be born in 1902), first production run revolvers in such caliber (as the Hand Ejector model of 1899) were chambered for it?

The Hand Ejector without the cylinder locking under the barrel was manufactured between 1899 and 1902. Why was it marked as “38 S&W Special CTG & U.S. Service CTG”?

Our colleague highpower3006 maybe could help us on throwing some light over these doubt.

Why then (if 38 spl could be born in 1902), first production run revolvers in such caliber (as the Hand Ejector model of 1899) were chambered for it?

The Hand Ejector without the cylinder locking under the barrel was manufactured between 1899 and 1902. Why was it marked as “38 S&W Special CTG & U.S. Service CTG”?

Our colleague highpower3006 maybe could help us on throwing some light over these doubt.

My Model 1899 very clearly has ".38 S&W Special CTG" on the side of the barrel. If you think about it, the vast majority of Model 1899's, 20,975, were made in .38 special before the model was superseded in 1902. There is no way they could have made near that many guns in just a single year.

IMG_3551-XL.jpg

To answer a question that was asked earlier, the differences between the K38 Masterpiece and the K38 Combat Masterpiece is not just the length of the barrel. The barrel profile on the CM is slightly smaller in diameter along with the rib being narrower and the front sight is a Baughman style rather than a Patridge target sight.

1950 K38 Masterpiece:
IMG_0974-XL.jpg

1954 K38 Combat Masterpiece.
IMG_4352-XL.jpg

And another bit of trivia. I see people referring to the K38 Masterpiece as a "Target Masterpiece". S&W never used that nomenclature when they started making them after WWII. Note that the box only says "K38 Masterpiece".

IMG_3573-XL.jpg

IMG_2888_Fotor-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Then, as I said, 38 spl was born in 1898/1899. Several sources confirm that, being one of it, the very existence of guns so chambered and duly marked, made during the years previous to 1902.

In the other hand, didn't know that the name was just Masterpiece instead of Target Masterpiece.

Every new day is a learning one...

Model 14 Target Masterpiece, 6 inches barrel, model 15 Combat Masterpiece, 4 inches barrel. And that's all.

No. The Target Masterpiece / Model 14 had target sights. Most had the wider target trigger / hammer. They had a trigger stop. They were offered in 6" and 8 3/8" barrels (the longer is the longest allowed under revolver target rules at the time). There were a few 4" model 14s made. They are collectors items now.

The 15 evolved from the Combat Masterpiece and was intended for duty use, not targets. It was offered with 2, 4, 6 and 8 3/8" barrels.

The twp are very similar, but not the same.

Last edited:
The K frame 38, was introduced in 1899, in both 38 Long Colt, and 38 Special.
In 1902 the front locking lug was put on the barrel for the ejector rod, and it was only in 38 Special.
People mistakenly assume this was the start of 38 Special production. It was the start of the modern configuration we know today.

The K frame 38, was introduced in 1899, in both 38 Long Colt, and 38 Special.
In 1902 the front locking lug was put on the barrel for the ejector rod, and it was only in 38 Special.
People mistakenly assume this was the start of 38 Special production. It was the start of the modern configuration we know today.
Agree with you.

I’ve got 3 model 14s ( all no dash ) and one M&P Target. Just sold a NIB 14 with all the fixings. I’ve had the Colts and like the K38 better. As far as semi autos you have to have a match model before you talk about outshooting K38. I also have a M52 and a Brn Hp Comp with my level of shooting at 71, I shoot them all equally lousy. In my younger days I could do a little better with the 52.

I have both a Model 14-3 and a 15-3 and they are different. The model 15-3 has as usual the different barrel profile and front sight, but also lacks the wider target trigger and wider hammer spur of the 14-3. All this talk on the Model 14 reminds me it’s been quite a while since I’ve shot it. I’m going to dig it out and grab a hundred rounds of wadcutters and have some fun.

I have the 8 3/8" 14-3 with target trigger and hammer. It's very accurate and really enjoyable to shoot. The fit, finish, trigger pull, excellent sights, and general fine craftsmanship all add to the experience.

The Model 14 was offered in single action from 1961 until 1982 when the 14 was discontinued, for the first time. They are uncommon to rare-ish.
The Model 14 could also be ordered with a 4in or 5in bbl, mostly to police depts.
After 1982, the Model 15 was made with a heavy, unpinned bbl, in 2, 4, 6, and 8 3/8 inches

Necro-thread, I know.

Was the K-38 Masterpiece (M14) offered with different barrel thicknesses (not lengths)? I thought I've seen reference to a heavy barreled K-38, but I've never seen a picture that would show a comparison.

Yes.
First production after the War it had a narrow rib and weighed about 36 ounces.
A couple of years later they introduced the Heavy Masterpiece at 38 ounces so it would weigh the same as the K22 and K32 with their smaller holes. Part or all of the increase was in a wide rib, I don't know if they changed barrel diameter or taper.

I have the K38. combat Masterpice and the .22 version as well. M K22 has a 5" barrel. No, it's not a K22 where someone chopped an inch off the barrel. If it was that, where is says Smith & Wesson on the barrel would be too far forward. The logo on my gun is exactly dead center. Probably my favorite S&W is my 38/44 Outdoorsman. A 6.5" N frame on .38 Spl. that can take near .357 Mag level loads. Deadly accurate with wadcutters as well. I have several others and none are for sale.
Paul B.

I bought a nib k38 and a k22 to shoot bullseye with, and when I bought them, I couldn't bring myself to firing them. I sold them and stuck to a m25-2, m52, and high standard!

I have 5 K38s, 2 5screw 6”, 2 m14 6” and a m14 83/8”. I hardly ever shoot the 83/8. They are all tuned for WCs. I have favorite m14 that I bought new in late 60s. They are tack drivers. I shoot bunch of 38s. In m27s & m52s. My own cast in revolvers & Hornady HBWCs in 52. I have a HBWC mold in 38 but it’s single cavity, to slow. The 44s and 45s I have gang molds for HBWC. I’ve got a lot of S&W revolvers and shoot nothing but WC/ Target loads in them.

Back