K-31 scope mounting

I just tried out the rings that I was told to purchase but are too small for the scope I purchased.(here) I just tried those out on my .22, and yep, they fit, so I will be able to use them.

Problem:

So, those rings don't work. I have put the ring that came with my basic Nikon scope on that rail. I know they are too big, as the St. Marie mount is designed to be used with a .22 size grooved ring. I bought .22 grooved rings, but apparently those rings are designed to be used with a .22 sized scope. I asked on here if those rings would work with a normal sized scope, and I was told they would. They don't. Now, I have the stock rings that came with the scope currently mounted on the rifle. I know those rings are too large for the rail, but they appear to be working alright now. Will this be a problem? I'm shooting it tomorrow.

Some 3/8 rail rings are for a 7/8 scope tube, some are for a 1" scope tube. Unless the rings you are using are specifically for a 3/8 rail I wouldn't use them. Having a scope fly off and hit you in the head well leave a mark and may break the scope.:eek:

If you know those rings are too large for the rail, yes, there are going to be problems. They should tighten down securely absoultely straight and flush. Do you have a different name on a swiss board?

Latigo

Whelp, I put about 30 rounds through it yesterday. The scope didn't fly off or even loosen up. I didn't get it sighted in, but that's my fault. A buddy and I are going out with his lead sled next weekend to do it properly.

Afterwards, on the way home, I stopped at a gun shop where they routinely mount scopes and asked him to look at it, and he said it looked fine. He didn't try to sell me anything, so I trust him.

I used the clamp on mount with a Burris Fullfield II 3x9. I put the clamp on 5 of my K31's. Every one of the rifles would do 1 MOA with GP-11 ammo. These rifles are amazing!

So, my buddy and I went out with his lead sled and spotting scope today. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Got it good to go at 200 yards with only a 4x scope. I'm already contemplating a higher power one :-).

Back