Justified or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, it will happen again !!!

It doesn't seem as if there's enough information at this point to reliably say whether the shooting was justified or not. And I'm sure we're all saddened by the fact that yet another child has been killed. No one wants children to be killed, no matter the circumstances; it's an affront to our internal morality; at least it is to mine.
Totally agree but we have a pretty good idea how this is going to ring out. I pray that it will never happen again but it will and as parents and society, we are going the wrong way ..... :(

Be Safe !!!

No one wants children to be killed, no matter the circumstances; it's an affront to our internal morality; at least it is to mine.
A 13 year old with a real gun can kill you just as dead as a 33 year old. If they are ignorant enough to pull a gun on some one and threaten their life they get what they get.

The wound from a CO2 pellet gun on the human body is not good.
That in itself would be an inexcusable justification to shoot a child or an adult for that matter.

At least in Kali. a BB or Pellet gun is classified as a deadly weapon according to our penal code. As such, a threat from one can be justification for Deadly Force.

And airguns are very realistic looking these days.
I still have my Crossamn 357 from the early 80's. It looked real enough then and still looks real enough now. Even in broad daylight you could EASILY assume it is a large framed 22. Crossman 357

"Wait for the translation".

There's way too much journalistic guessing vs. facts at this time. It may not be the preferred approach, but it's too early and few of the facts are out.

I would like to point out that shooting a person can have a negative influence on the officer. It's natural. Shooting a kid, even if justified - can be worst. When we did some PTSD research, I talked to an officer who almost shot a kid in an incident that might have been justified. He didn't, thank God he didn't need to. However, it still gave him nightmares. This was an older, well seasoned officer.

This time it's a BB gun that looks like a Glock, you've got a second or two to decide not to shoot and give junior a good talking to.

Next time its a Glock and in a second or two you may be dead or dying.

I'm just glad I'm not a LEO in todays world and I feel sorry for the ones who are.

A 13 year old with a real gun can kill you just as dead as a 33 year old. If they are ignorant enough to pull a gun on some one and threaten their life they get what they get.

Yes, a violent 13 year old kid who doesn't know anything is a danger to himself and those around him. He may be even more dangerous than an adult. If he uses a gun to commit a crime he is rightly at risk of being killed. That doesn't mean it is not a tragedy. What is more tragic, is the frequency of this type of confrontation.

What is more tragic, is the frequency of this type of confrontation.

We are almost back to the crack culture of the 80's. Street gangs had 12-16 yo.s slinging the drugs and they were also packing. Reason....they were tried as juveniles when they were caught. That culture was also UBER Confrontational with law enforcement which also became more militarized in mentality and tactics. This is simply a repeat of the past.

Unfortunately this will come to a head sooner than later and when it does it will make the little civil unrests that have happened lately seem tame. The sad part is we have everything in place to get it going just like Watts Aug. 1965 and King Apr. 1991.

Hopefully things turn around sooner than later and we avert another major unrest.

I'm calling this one. Social commentary isn't our thing and let's wait until we get more info and then we can discuss the shooting aspects.

Yeah, if you are a parent and your kid is prowling around with a replica, you gotta rethink parenthood.

But - closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back