Just wow, AR pricing!!!

There are cheaper AR-15s if you look at Palmetto State Armory. I have 3 of their pistols. They're well made and reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Its called A) market saturation, or B) the bubble has burst.

And C, D, E, and the rest of the alphabet, the government has changed, and people feel less compelled to "get it before its banned".

Better less than full profit than no profit. Unsold stock does not generate any profit.

If I had a need for another .223/5.56 AR, I'd be buying them by the dozen.
If I was the type to hoard ARs with the intent of unloading them "when times got tough", I'd be buying them by the crate.

But, I'm a mortal, with limited funds and no desire to screw around with too many guns* and potentially illegal activities.

So, I must let the market sag even lower, by not partaking of the low-hanging fruit.

But, seriously... I saw some legitimate name-brand ARs for $325 to $375 last week. Complete. Name-brand. Warranty!

*(Mock me if you wish. I know it's a statement worthy of chastisement. But... before you go there, consider that my safes are currently packed so tightly that I figure I need two more to accommodate the 'extras'; and I currently have 17 projects and/or stripped receivers [mostly NOT ARs] locked up in alternate locations [I cannot cram them into the safes, no matter how hard I try].)

Frank, I wish I had that problem! :) I agree the prices are incredible and I am tempted myself, but even as low as they are, I can't buy one right now. It is definitely a buyers market.

I've seen Core 15's brand new offered for around $400--the one I bought from them soon after they started producing them cost me $1200. Get a cheap AR while you can.

About a month ago I was setting up an order with my FFL Dealer and we were just talking about this and that. I asked if he got hurt because he does a lot of Black Gun business. Told him my Buddie's kid just bought an Andersen for $500 out the door. He said they should not even be doing that because it is below retail. I think the kid said he bought it at Cabela's, but am not sure.

I think this is great price, for Smith & Wesson AR's. I dont doubt you can find cheaper. This is a brand I trust.

Its called A) market saturation, or B) the bubble has burst.

And C, D, E, and the rest of the alphabet, the government has changed, and people feel less compelled to "get it before its banned".

Better less than full profit than no profit. Unsold stock does not generate any profit.

As the pendulum swings...
The sporting rifle (and it's parts/accessories) market is so oversaturated at this point it's dripping. I get calls every week from manufacturers of various components seeking to sell them- and I don't even work much in that market.

Barrels, uppers, receivers, BCG's, shrouds...you name it, there's dozens of companies churning out the identical (or nearly so ) product. The big boys can afford to dump product at cost for a while in an attempt to thin the herd; they enjoy economies of scale in their production so are at an advantage here; but their higher overhead will be a distinct disadvantage over time.
A plant full of machinery sitting idle? Someone's gotta pay for them, and keeping the lights on.

Frank, I wish I had that problem! I agree the prices are incredible and I am tempted myself, but even as low as they are, I can't buy one right now. It is definitely a buyers market.
Well, it's not as good as it sounds.
Most of what I buy is other people's old, used-up, parts guns and basket cases.
Then I repair and replace as necessary to get the old pile of junk back up and running; or hack it up and turn it into something custom for a new lease on life. A simple way to look at it: Volume, not value. ;)

I have to wonder if any parts now made in foreign countries, relabeled or finished up in US. AR parts are not hard to make.

Companies outsource to machine shops. They have no idea where the machine shops outsource to. I saw that done with Harley parts.

Companies outsource to machine shops. They have no idea where the machine shops outsource to. I saw that done with Harley parts.

Maybe the "outsourcers" don't care- but the machine shops doing the work would be well advised to know the laws.

All "components, parts, accessories, and attachments" manufactured by a company/individual for the articles on the U.S. Munitions List (every firearm manufactured) are subject to registration with DDTC and subject to ITAR regularions /fees.

Fabricate so much as a takedown pin for an AR without being registered can lead to a long vacation at Club Fed.

Last edited:
There was talk that some companies made to many, thinking Hillary was getting elected.

I was tempted when Rugers were $500. That doesn't move the needle for me.

Buying a few to keep in case your neighbors need arming at some point in the future isn't a terrible idea while they are cheap. I bought one to give to my son when he's old enough. He's 5 right now lol. I know its not something I will regret.

If the state had given me that raise that is now 12 years overdue, instead of another pay cut, I'd be looking right now. But, isn't going to happen.

You can import parts. So why would having to register stop a machine shop from importing parts? If you sub-contract, I think you are exempt from that. I worked at shops that did Government contracts that were subbed to them. There were no inspectors from the government there, and a lot of it was ordnance related. I don't think people realize just how cheap the China junk was that was coming in. A few registration fees would be nothing compared to the profit. A CRATE of parts would come in and check out defective. China makes good on the parts, does not want them back. Company scraps the steel (Prices were through the roof at the time) and still makes a profit on the bad parts. This is America. Do you think Harley knew they were paying American labor prices for a lot of the Chinese junk they got?

I wish I had waited. I wanted to get all of my AR desires filled before the election. I was wrong about the outcome this time, but make no mistake, the government will change hands again.

This is a good time to get "custom" ARs, guns of a different flavor instead of military look alikes. I put together a 6.8 after the election and I'm considering getting other different calibers too. I wouldn't have done that before the election. With the prices now, it's easy to build.
We are going to loose some players in this saturated market, unless they can manage to limp along until the next regime change. So, I wouldn't dally around with making any purchases either.

Back