Just One Rifle: for Home Defense and White Tail Deer

Whichever rifle you choose, I'd recommend a military caliber (7.62xwhatever, 223, etc.) so that you could get lot of cheap practice ball. 30-30 and 7.62x39 are comparable in velocity/weight and you can get hunting bullets for either, nut cheap ball is more available in x39.

Just one cheapskate's view.

If I had to limit my long weapons to only one (new) rifle it would be Sako M92S.
In 7,62X39Sako (could be had in .223 as well).
Completely flawless reliability, excelent accuracy and excelent trigger pull thanks to new (non ak) trigger assembly.
And it's even cheap compared with the quality at ~900$.

Negative side is that you propably need class III licence for it over there as it features allmost all of the evil features...
Except that the thing attached to the muzle is a "Recoil reduction device" and on the later production runs it's diameter is increased 0.5mm so that Stanag compliable rifle grenades can't be slipped over it.

Gattling = ;)
PS. Otherwisely I guess that everyone and their dog knows what I and fal308 think about FALs :) If it were up to me 7,62X39 and .223 would be left where they belong to;
T/Cs and other single shot IHMSA/handgun hunting launch platforms ;)

The 30-30 cartridge approximates the 7.63x39, so ballistically it is no slouch for anti-personnel work. A 94 Winchester can be had at the pawnshop for $100-125 and would make a reliable house gun.
You can find new Moss 500's for $185. Used for $120. I would rather have a shotgun instead of a rifle inside a house. The point is that for $125 or less you can do quite well. And hunt too!

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Back