• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Just how senior is "Senior"?

Quartus

Another thread brought something to the surface that has bugged me for a long time.

Why is it so easy to become a "Senior Member"? Are the levels hard coded into the software? Or can they be changed?

The reason it bugs me (which it has since I found myself a Senior Member) is that the name carries the connotation of a person who's at least been around a while. We get newbies on this board all the time, and it bothers me that some loudmouth know nothing (like me, for example) can be identifed as a Senior Member to a newbie, thus giving an appearance of expertise that may not be real.

If it were higher, there'd be more time for the know nothings to demonstrate that. There would be more history to search.

I'd like to see it set to something like 1000 or higher, myself. Like 2500?

Or better yet, eliminate the rankings, except for Mods, of course. It's important to identify them.

And, no, this isn't really important in the greater scheme of things.

Nope, it's not hard coded. We have Senior Member set to 100 posts. It demonstrates someone who has been around long enough to know the TFL ropes. There is no way to guarantee correlation between experience and expertise. Caveat Emptor.
Rich

When you're talking senior and CR Sam in the same sentence, you start talking about how he was play pen pals with Moses when they both were kids...

Young snapperwhips
No respect.

Actualy Mike n I are even. Me twice his age and he twice my weight.:D

Matched set ?

Nosredna Mas

That's one senior...

who just put Mike into the ropes!

Stay tuned here on TFL's own Celebrity DeathMatch for what promises to be an historic event!:D

"twice his weight..."

Better to squash Sam like a fragile, elderly, seafood morsel...

Anyone have some OLD Bay seasoning to go with that CRABBY cake?

On the ropes my ass. My ass is bigger than the ring! :D

Hammerheaded
Opinionated
Crusty beyond his tender years.
Darn near always right.

A worthy adversary
And friend.

Sam.....don't sit on me, I'll break wind.

Doggonnit, Sam.

You go and say something nice and make me feel all guilty about mixing up this big batch of Creole-Geritol Frying mix...

Sigh. :)

Hangover cure
Geritol and Gin
50-50
It'll make you stop drinkin.

Well, stop drinkin Geritol anyway.

Nosredna Mas

So all a newbie needs to do is spam the software test area to shed the newbie label?

When I was changing banks almost every time I moved, which was often, I always ordered my new checks to start at 1001, 2001, or somesuch-never 001. Too many merchants balked at low numbered checks without ever considering the possibility I had fiddled my order.

Of course, now that the reply is posted and irretrievable, I have noticed the registration date in my ID. Grunt!

Old age and treachery will overcomeyouth and experience.

Mike . . .

You're telling me they had pens when Sam was a kid??? I simply don't believe it.
;) :D
Regards -- Roy

Well, it was actually sticks, RWK.

And instead of paper, they used the sticks to press marks into tablets of wet clay...

I think they called it cuniform.... :)

You mean like this? I found this in a pile of hieroglyphs in the attic of the Smithsonian last week. You don't suppose ..... ?

Attachments

• samhotep.jpg
    samhotep.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 81
Mal,

HOWLING SCREECHING LAUGHTER! :D

But I really think that's a little later, probably Sam's first job out of scribe school after he joined the military.

His mummy was SO very proud of him when he joined The Few, The Proud, The Pharos Corps...

He even had a cushy job in Memphis, from what I understand, taking dictation for the Amenhotep's lesser wives...

Cool Mal.:)
And.....this being a family oriented forum; I am not going to translate it for all you young snapwhippers.

Nosredna Mas

Hey Sam,

Heard that you had some trouble with Pharo's 17th wife...

"NO, YOU IDIOT! That's stork, stork, water, eye of Horous, grain stalk, grain stalk, stork, water... NOT stork, water, stork...!"

Back