Just got back from Frontsight

MTS840, they go through a variety of things but basically say you should be carrying the largest caliber you can control. The also go through all the Hatcher stuff to give you a better understanding. In general, they tend to push the fact that handguns are grossly underpowered and generally have penetration issues. They caution about getting too hung up on the overpenetration issues on handguns. With good shot placement, overpenetration is not an issue with handgun rounds.

As far as handguns, the staff tends to be almost all 1911s or Glocks. There are a few exceptions. For example, I believe one instructor carries an S&W revolver. (Of course he is a current/past world record holder using a revolver)The students tend to carry 1911s or Glocks, although you do see a variety of other guns used by a small percentage.

The popular calibers tend to be .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Some will shoot a 9mm, usually to contain the cost of training. Some will shoot 10mm. Most revolvers are shooting .38/.357.

Kimbers and Glocks seem to be very popular as far as specific manufacturers.

MTS840:

AAshooter & Ron R. hit the nail on the coffin. There is nothing more that can be said other than YOU GOTTA DO IT....and a DOUBLE CONCUR with the comment on "if you intend to carry". I can't even imagine people out there carrying a concealed pistol with no formal training (bullet in foot...bullet in thigh...bullet far left....bullet far right....bullet in the eye)

Yeah, I am going back. I went the 'easy route' when I took my 1911. Next time, I am going to graduate with the H&K Compact with the decocker full active!!

Hey, any attend the Select Fire M-16 course yet?

One other thing....
I had a target pistol with adjustable sights (sights constantly getting caught on garments) and VERY VERY VERY sharp pretty edges all around. If you have a 1911 and can't get those edges trimmed down (dehorn'd is the term for it I believe), you may need to invest in a alot of bandaids!

HK4Life et al:

Thanks for the information. What you guys are telling me is what I've been hearing from my police instructors for years: Carry the biggest caliber you can effectively control. I wish that message would get across to all who do carry concealed. Multiple active shooters, mall shootings and other public massacres do happen and sometimes shootings do happen farther out than the contact distances generally reported. Sometimes you can't simply run away. You have to select a weapon that you can carry with you at all times that can handle as many 'worse case scenerio' situations as possible. I get flamed a lot on other threads for repeatedly saying this very thing. I've been tempted to say "Go ask Clint or some of the other nationally recognized instructors if they recommend carrying that plastic .32 as a primary weapon!" You guys have validated my expectations. I'm glad civilian and police instructors are on the same page about this!

Depending on your situation, you may not always be able to carry the optimum gun. You may have to carry a compact, minor-caliber gun. Just recognize the limitations and change in tactics that might go with that.

It is not uncommon for new shooters to show up with the latest wiz bang compact gun. After spending 4 days in the class, they have a much better idea of the capabilities of the gun.

In one class a new shooter was shooting a new compact .38 revolver. She was having a terrible time at the 25 yard shots. The instructor took her revolver and let her use his full sized Glock for the next few shots and her hits were solid. She left with a good appreciation for what a long sighting plane will do in distance shooting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. I have a few more certificates left for those that are interested. I got my first two courses at Frontsight for free (one day sub-machine gun and two day defensive handgun) and that has led me on a training journey that has really been an excellent experience.

If you are looking for a kick start....here it is. If you are already skilled....Frontsight will improve those skills.

Four days of training for $100, I will pick up the paypal and mailing expense.

For those that have already jumped at it....have a great time.....I know you will.:D

I am still pretty much a skeptic about some of these so called 'gun schools'. Most seem to be more into tooting their own horn, and trying to sell stuff, than they are into teaching shooting skills.
I have been carrying a gun pretty much daily for near 45 years now. I shoot quite a bit at the range, and I hunt. I practice, read, and practice some more. I have worked with some really experienced guys, both military and LE.
I'm not saying that I could not learn more, I am sure I could. However, I have not 'shot myself' yet either.

There is a level of competence that we call "intentionally incompetent". The term is used to describe those that "know everything that there is to know" and are unwilling or incapable of accepting that there may be others on the planet that could teach them something.
Those that have not been have no business being "skeptical".

NRA junior smallbore regional champion 1962, with many subsequent NRA wins in rifle and pistol all calibers. Distinquished Marksman
ROTC east coast Army team 1963-64
US army AIT Expert in all weapons 1965
Yearly Military Qualifacations in .45 and .38 pistol 1969-1975
DEA firearms course 1976
Monterey County Sherrif's (reservist, so I could compete in LEO competitions;) ) 1979
American Pistol Institute 1979-1983 up to Intermediate courses in Pistol and Rifle under Col Cooper with Rnge masters Chuck Taylor and Clint Smith
IPSC practical rifle regional champ 1984
Ray Chapman's Starlight academy intermediate pistol tactical course 1985
John Satterwaite Shotgun seminar 1989
HALO training institue pistol seminars 1996-98
Yavapi Firearms Academy(Lewis Awerbuck) all his pistol and shotgun courses.1999-current
ITTS (Scott Reitz) Up thru 3b pistol and intermediate carbine &shotgun 2002-current.
Probably missed some but certainly not a candidate for an unteachable spirit as described.:rolleyes:
What I don't like is the bunch at frontsite for mannlichers reasons, but too polite to say so!

Back