Just got a new to me Remington 1100!!

Flea21 said:
... Anyone have any recommendations for this as well as other upgrades available to increase rhe exoerience and function of this shotgun??...
I have 2 Rem 1100 - one 12ga w/screw-chokes & one .410-3". Both great guns, although I wish the 12ga was a 3". I'm primarily a dove hunter & I really like the .410 when I'm "on 'em" LOL.

Because mine are hunters, the change I made to both guns was to install a detachable sling stud on the butt & in the end of the forend cap. Not traditional, but a sling on a shotgun is pretty darn handy!

...bug ;)

Virginian - la

I though I remember him saying something about another barrel, but not sure. I have barrel here, but gun is up in MI.

What do you think.

IMG_6595.JPG

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6600.JPG

Back when I was shootin' registered trap, I shot over 20,000 shells thru an 1100 one year. I had the expensive guns that so many shooters love, but I always shot the 1100 better than any of my other guns. Oh, I changed a lot of little parts in that year, but the gun never failed me on the line. I remember back when most of the top trap shooters were shootin' 1100's.

Two 'must do's' with the 1100.

1) Keep the two gas ports in the bbl. clean.

2) Make sure the o-ring that's on the bbl is in good shape.

I shot league skeet and it was my only shotgun for everything from doves to ducks for 10 years. The only two parts I have replaced in 50 years were an extractor in 1982, and the spot weld on the fore end support was cracking and I replaced that around 1974. I have not replaced any parts other than barrel and stock swapping on any of the other 11 Model 1100s and 11-87 I've owned.

That's what I though about the barrel - and yes I am going to sell it. I do not need two, I am trying to clean up the collection.

My only question was why he had (2) barrels? To my recollection the other one does not have modified chokes in it either.

A lot of people had more than one barrel with fixed chokes before choke tubes came along. I still have about 10 barrels and 5 Model 1100s.

Oh right, I found the ticket for the other barrel - 1974. $87.50 barrel and 230.00 for the 1100. I did find a video and took apart and was very DIRTY.

Will do a full clean tomorrow when my son is not jumping all over me.

So one barrel says skeet I think and then the other is this one in pics. Whats the difference? Skeet shoots farther with the pattern tighter? Sorry but my shotgun knowledge is very limited.

I am going to go shooting this week with it and another older Pump, so will know more after finally shooting it.

I just bought a new in the box Remington 1100 sport 12 gauge 28inch for $ 694.00 out the door. Around here they sell for 900.00 and some change. Guess I got a good deal. External chokes and all. Does anyone on here shoot one of these? Absolutely gorgeous wood. Something about a thinner profile barrel.

All the new 12 gauge 1100 Sporting Models I have seen come with the Target Contour barrel. It is the same as the Light Contour with slightly larger gas ports to reliably cycle lighter loads. Remington was advising not to shoot heavy loads thru those barrels. I have a Target Contour barrel and like the feel a lot - close to the old fixed choke barrels. IMO, the 1100 Sporting Models in all gauges are wonderful guns.

The O rings only get damaged during disassembly and assembly, and if one is careful they will go a looooong time. I replaced the original metal V ring on my 1963 Model 1100 about 1967 so I wouldn't lose it, and that O ring is still going strong about 90,000 rounds later. I do have spares. Too cheap not to.

Being cheap has nothing to do with it.

You have spares because you know that at any time they may fail.

Tell it like it is.:rolleyes:

I have since sold this gun.. actually I traded it for brand new versa max remjngton 12 guage shotgun. It is a huge upgrade, but I miss tge ingravings on the receiver.

Wrong. An O ring will not fail in service. It doesn't move, it is a static seal. I have had 13 1100s/11-87 and the only one I ever replaced because I thought it was prudent after I got it pinched when I assembled the gun while I was running my mouth. Oh, and I rolled over two others with the chair on the concrete floor and they'd had it.

Back