Just got a new one

Those brass moulds are so purty you just enjoy picking them up, I guess. Been able to get by on Lee and Lyman dies so far but I can imagine it will be a happy day on my spot on the prairie when my first brass mould shows up.
Hmmmmm....A .460 405 boolit could be the solution to a couple of rifle issues I'm having. Thanks, Grubbylabs!

I started out with the lee molds and I still cast a few bullets with them, but I have discovered Tom at Accurate molds and he makes an outstanding mold. He will walk you through your purchase and is great to work with. I actually just bought another 4 cavity brass mold for my 45 auto. I don't recall what I paid for the .460 mold but I paid about 160 for my 4 cavity.

If you don't mind me asking did you consider the Ranch Dog mould? I wish he made a 405 but he likes pushing hard boolits pretty fast and his designs seem to do best under those conditions.

I did consider it but I really like Toms molds and they are working for me so I just keep ordering his.

If Ranch dog had his molds done through Tom I would not hesitate to get one, I like his designs. A member of the other forum gave me one of his early 265 grain 44 cal two cavity molds and I really like it. As soon as funds permit I am going to order a 3 cavity brass mold that is a clone to that one.

Bottom line is, I think Tom produces a better mold than Lee does. Granted there is a significant price difference, but the quality and customer service justify it.

From what I've seen here and on his site I like his products, very impressive selection. Prices seem quite reasonable all things considered. When I look at a mould I consider the hundreds or thousands of boolits I can make with it, they're investments. At the moment I'm getting good results from production Lee and Lyman moulds and the semi-custom RD moulds. Folks on the other site seem to be big fans of custom molds but my goal is to learn the potential of my moulds before deciding what I want and what my rifles need in a custom mould. All my moulds so far are well-made, drop good-looking boolits at or very near advertised diameters and weights. I like the custom moulds but at this point my knowledge and skill level just doesn't justify ordering one.
Threads like these are helping me decide what to look for in a custom mould.

I have to admit that I have never tried a 6 cavity from Lee and I have yet to hear any thing bad about them, but I have several two cavity molds that are Lee's and they seem cheap. In fact one does not even function any more because of a sprue plate problem. I did buy another new Lee mold the other day for my BP round balls and it seems to do just fine, but I will only need a 100 balls a year at best. Last night I made 250 or so bullets for my 45. I have over 1,000 pieces of brass I am going to load for that so I have some more casting to do.

I am sure that the other custom mold makers do really nice work as well, but I am comfortable with Tom and how things work there.

I think the Lee 6-cav moulds may indeed be better than the 2-cav. I have Lee 2-cavs for round balls and the 45-200 TL boolit. I had trouble getting it to close properly. Have learned a technique to overcome that but it was just too slow. Boolits look great, just too many rejects due to the moulds not being lined up. The ball moulds work fine but I doubt I'll ever need more than 1000 from each. Only thing I've used the balls for so far is slugging bores and they work great for that!;)
6-cav Lee moulds produce a nice pile of boolits in very little time once you get the technique and temp figured out.
Looking forward to the range report for both boolits.
I had good results with Rooster Jacket lube in my 45 acp's. No buildup in the Dillon or the Colts. Nice smooth, dry finish. Cast and loaded about 1200 rounds, still have about 1000 pieces of brass left but I think I'm good for now.

I would like to know more about the Rooster Jacket lube, is it a tumble lube. I have not used any other lube since I have not used up all my Lee tumble lube yet. But I have had to clean dies and the lube is kinda a mess.

www.roosterlabs.com/products.html
Yes, it's a tumble lube. It won't replace LLA for me but I think it will make my 45acp's load, handle and store better. Only "problem" I have is that its clear and difficult to tell when you've gotten a good coating. Have toyed with adding a bit of food coloring but I don't keep any on hand and keep forgetting to put it on my grocery list.

Back