Just for fun

Not really an oddball but one that while it is respected by a few is ignored by most of the averaged shooter. That cartidge is the 7x57 Mauser, disliked because factory ammo is underloaded for several reasons and loading manuals don't give full power level loads. One weak early model rifles like 93 and 95 Mausers or two, the Remington rolling blocks. Another factor is while many have the original long throat designed for the 175 gr. bullet, some companies and custom builders used shorter throats for customer only wanting to shoot lighter weight bullets.
The 7x57 can be loaded in a modern rifle to standards that snap at the heels of the .270 Win.and .280 Remington without straining the action.
Nosler manuals show loads that have higher pressure and I understand the new Speer manual had some spiffy loads for the cartridge. I've got to get the new Speer manual when I get the chance. I do like what I'm getting with Re17 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. Great speed, excellent accuracy and case life is great. Nine loadings so far and primer pockets are still tight.

"...Haven't held a new gun in .303...ever..." You likely couldn't afford a BNIB Lee-Enfield anyway. None made since the 1950's. Mind you, several years ago, one of the lads at Canadian Gunutz, got Ruger to do a special custom run of No.1's in .303 Brit.
Oh and I went nuts years ago and bought a .41 AE barrel for my Inglis BHP. Bought 500 cases and dies at the same time. One loaded round is currently worth $3.95USD. Not seeing brass alone anywhere. Last I heard, IMI would do a run if somebody ordered 1,000,000 rounds.

Mine are all common, although there are some that consider my favorite big bore cartridges as a 'been done'/'obsolete' ... .45 Colt and .44 Special. Of course there is the .457 ball round also that is considered obsolete.....

9mm Largo, bought 500 pieces of brass from Starline several years ago and hope I can keep shrinkage for that stockpile to a bare minimum.

David

Started with some commercial PPU 107 gr. FMJ. Those run 1,126/17.2 and function perfectly. That's currently my source of brass. I did find some original issue military ammo online, but so far it has been iffy, doesn't always chamber.

The published max bore dimension is 0.3578, so I started with a box of 0.357 Hornady XTP 110 gr. Sizing my cases with a RCBS die set, these dropped right in...too small. Not a big loss, as these are fun in a .38 Special. Next up 0.359 Hunters Supply 100 gr. cast. These load and function fine with a little taper crimp. Unique delivered 1,123/24.5 to match the PPU. Power Pistol runs 1,229/8.5. That's my go to, but I have not had this oldie to the range for some time. Guess I should get it out.

I am currently working on wood grips that look period correct and I am refinishing a very early Husqvarna to look like a real nice commercial version. I will post pics as things progress.

Midway still catalogs those bullets, but "out of stock". I might have to go to Plan B and take a bit off my sizing mandrel (RCBS dies), or just fit up one from 38/357. I would rather load those 110 XTP, but it's strictly a range toy.

Just acquired in a trade a 150 year old #1 sporting model Remington rolling block in 44/77 cal. It came with 100 new Jamison cases, and a 500 grn. Steve Brooks bullet mould. Made up some traditional black powder ammo for it, and bagged a nice whitetail doe with it this past fall. Cool, fun, accurate old roller.

"most done" for me would be 30-06. With that said, its far from done in my opinion. Thanks for keeping all these cool cartridges alive guys!

Hoof hearted: I ran some deprimed cases into a 357/38 die, flared with the Browning Long die, and now I can seat Hornady 110 XTP. I'll make sure the first ones chamber OK - supposed to headspace on the rim. Results to follow when it warms up.

My old favorite gun to wander thru the woods, 25-35 WCF. Now that open sights are a little difficult to see I pick up my 6.5 Jap with a scope. Obviously have to reload. Grant.

I slowly got rid of my 280 Ross, 7by61 Sharp&Harte, 303 Savage, 303 British, 25 Stevens, and a few others from the past. Down sized to what is commonly available. Cant part with the 25-35 WCF or the handy little 6.5 Jap. A safe full of oddball guns is like having a 1953 Studebaker in the garage. Cool, but not too practical. Grant.

I have a lot of fun with my .25/35 M94. Well, it is an "Improved" and the M94 Carbine USED to be a .32 Special, another ol' cartridge ya don't hear much about anymore.
My .25/20 WCF has given...Oops, it's really a .256 Magnum(That counts in this group, by itself, I think) The M92 is really a Rossi, but a LOT cheaper!
I like to take my TC Contender out once in a while. I is a 10" .357 Herrett.
Other handguns I use are an M57 and an M58 S&W .41 Magnums, a Ruger Flattop .44 Special and a Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine with a 4 5/8" barrel.
Does my 6.5 TCU count if I've put it in a rifle?
I bought an ol' used Glenfield/Marlin .30/30 so I could have a cast-shooting carbine to shoot along with my Krag .30/40.
My 7x57 Mauser carbine is a Mannlicher-style, but is on an M98 action, with a "butter-knife" handle.
Though my .300WinMag isn't an OLD cartridge, I built it on a Model '17 Enfield...when I was in high school shop class. THAT makes it old! How many people do you know that brought a rifle to school...with permission?
Have Fun,
Gene

Back