Just bought what some think is a lame gun.

At least we still have "great-memories"

Thanks. Ahhh, the rat shooting days! Back when open dumps were allowed, we shot until we ran out of ammo.
You mean that the city dumps have been closed. My gosh, what is this world coming to !!!??? ...... :eek:

Take care as the Mods might shift this over to the "Hunting" section. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Cool. I am sure you will enjoy it. It’s neat that you got all the goodies with it.

I have an H&R Sportsman from 1937. I really like mine. It’s a very good revolver.

Attachments

• A7114605-42DA-4BA5-9559-0A195E69B582.jpeg
    A7114605-42DA-4BA5-9559-0A195E69B582.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
While I like H&R .32's, their .22's outside of the Young America and top break 999 Sportsman I have zero interest in. At the time they were probably some of the best low cost .22 revolvers one could get, but today Charter, Taurus, Heritage, and even Ruger now offer superior options for a value priced .22 revolver.

Lame? Even a hi-point isn't lame. Not exceptionally high quality? Sure. Not built tank tough? True. Disproportionately associated with crime until hi-point took over the top spot? Yeah. It's still a gun and it still works and they at least have the courtesy to charge only what it's worth.

Congratulations ! I would not worry about what other people think. I buy guns for me, not to appease everybody else. Enjoy!

Cool. I am sure you will enjoy it. It’s neat that you got all the goodies with it.

I have an H&R Sportsman from 1937. I really like mine. It’s a very good revolver.
Amazing condition for '32! I like the looks of top breaks. Hard to find them that nice.

My experience is with the cousin model 999,

which is the tip-varaint.

Nicely made and accurate and a nine-shot revolver.

Only thing "lame" about it is NOTHING. Pull the pin to swing out the cylinder to empty and reload.

handle any .22LR round, would not use ant 'STINGER types and unknown if the frame can handle thoses??

Nice lite revolver for carry squirrel hunting.

ENJOY IT!

which is the tip-varaint.

Nicely made and accurate and a nine-shot revolver.

Only thing "lame" about it is NOTHING. Pull the pin to swing out the cylinder to empty and reload.

handle any .22LR round, would not use ant 'STINGER types and unknown if the frame can handle thoses??

Nice lite revolver for carry squirrel hunting.

ENJOY IT!
Thanks, I'll enjoy it for sure. I'll take any older gun with REAL bluing rather than some of those new, cheap guns like the Heritage and that coated stuff they are coming out with now. There's a reason these old guns are still around and functioning! :)

The reason that h&r is still around and functioning is it hasn’t been shot much.

The internal metal components are soft and fragile and they will simply wear out rather quickly with use. It’s not uncommon for some of us to put a thousand rounds down range in a year, the h&r I had from my dad as my first pistol quickly became a single action revolver.

The reason that h&r is still around and functioning is it hasn’t been shot much.

The internal metal components are soft and fragile and they will simply wear out rather quickly with use. It’s not uncommon for some of us to put a thousand rounds down range in a year, the h&r I had from my dad as my first pistol quickly became a single action revolver.
So?

George Nonte wrote that his first handgun-in the 1940s-was an H&R which he quickly found was not up to sustained DA shooting.

Honestly, I have nearly an entire safe full of guns that someone may consider lame. To me, they're great, and that's all that matters. As long as you are happy with it.

I have some doubts about the "soft" metal used by H&R. If so, why would the government use them for so many weapons?

"H&R was granted a contract to produce the M1 rifle during the Korean War, but the first deliveries of the rifles were not made until after the armistice. H&R manufactured the M14 rifle during that rifle's production cycle (1959–1964). H&R also manufactured M16A1 rifles during the Vietnam War and is one of only four manufacturers (along with Colt, Fabrique Nationale, & GM Hydramatic Division) to have ever made an official M16 variant for the U.S. Military.[1] Due to their relative scarcity, all H&R military weapons are considered highly desirable by collectors."

My H&R went single shot only in under a brick of ammo.

Since I am a single action guy, that’s what the joke is about. If you doubt the durability of old inexpensive h&r revolvers, post how many rounds is through yours “

I have some doubts about the "soft" metal used by H&R. If so, why would the government use them for so many weapons?

"H&R was granted a contract to produce the M1 rifle during the Korean War, but the first deliveries of the rifles were not made until after the armistice. H&R manufactured the M14 rifle during that rifle's production cycle (1959–1964). H&R also manufactured M16A1 rifles during the Vietnam War and is one of only four manufacturers (along with Colt, Fabrique Nationale, & GM Hydramatic Division) to have ever made an official M16 variant for the U.S. Military.[1] Due to their relative scarcity, all H&R military weapons are considered highly desirable by collectors."
I don't claim to know anything about the hardness of the internal parts in commercial H&R firearms, but the fact that they fulfilled military contracts has no bearing on the matter.

When the government makes a contract, they test the final products to make sure specifications are met. In other words, it's clear that H&R could make guns with hardened metal parts, but that's not proof that they do it when no one is checking the final result like the government would.

That's funny as hell right there. My H&R was made in 1935. I got it in the late 70's and it's round count since I've had it is in the thousands. God only know what it was before I got it. It's seen some use for sure.

Nice gun. I didn't try to collect 922s but I have 4 at the moment. They are fun to shoot and seem to be well made. One of them is mint in the box with papers so I fired it a few times and put it away. They are all 1950 revolvers (K prefix). I have around 80 H&R guns and most were inherited, given to me or bought for less than $100. I like them all even if they are cheap.

My H&R went single shot only in under a brick of ammo.

Since I am a single action guy, that’s what the joke is about. If you doubt the durability of old inexpensive h&r revolvers, post how many rounds is through yours “
I couldn't tell you how many has gone thru my .32 top break, but I've put probably 200 rounds thru mine since I've owned it and no problems since. I have relegated it to Trail Boss loads as I don't need to push it with a stronger load, but I have shot some near full power .32 S&W L. under a 95gr bullet and the old girl lived.

I also cannot claim to know what the Rockwell hardness is for the internal parts, nor what grade or kind of steels were used, but I'll assume a high carbon steel, as I don't think alloy steels were commonly used for a budget gun in the 1950s and certainly not for any of the pre WW2 models.

Back