Just bought my first rifle!

Congrats on your first rifle :) I spend more time with my bolt actions shooting than my AR's. I get so much more enjoyment shooting hours of ammo through my bolt action rifles than minutes shooting the same amount of ammo through my AR's.:D

anyone have tips on cleaning the chamber? Its probably dirty and may even have some solvent around it.. It's pretty hard to get to with a q tip and with the scope on and I can't see a thing im doing

I for a 30-06 I would probably buy a 45 caliber brush and go in from behind with the bolt removed. there are chamber brushes out there but I've never used then, I just switch to a larger brush that is similar diameter to the casing.
but please, DO NOT TRY TO PUSH A 45 CAL BRUSH DOWN THE BORE! that makes for bad joojoo

Hello Caleb, and welcome. It was great for me to read the excitement in your post--makes me feel young again. As long as you care that much about your firearms and the rights that let you keep them, you'll be fine. Here's something that always helped me shoot off the bench with the big boy toys. My two boys have them as well. Take care. Maybe it can help you:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/71016

-7-

When sighting in a gun like that do it at 50 yrs or less.. Once on the paper you can move farther out. Also, you can put a LARGE sheet (or two) of newspaper up and put the target in the middle.

Id bet there were some shots fired that you dont know where they went that means shoot w/ target closer.

I wouldnt put Hoppes on the wood(or plastic). Something sticky try good soap and water(hot).

Get some RIG and apply that to the metal parts to keep from rusting and do NOT store all winter (or a few months) in a case. Wipe it down and lean it in the closet.

Ditto on the snap caps.

You might want to try Remington CoreLokt ammo. It is accurate and a great deer round. It is also fairly inexpensive; a box of 20 CoreLokt in 30-06 will cost you under $20.

went to the range again with the federal powershoks. here's my 3 shot group http://imgur.com/osSag one issue though. I came home to clean and it seems i put my bolt back together wrong, I took the firing pin and spring out and put them back in. but when I put it back in I must of did it wrong cause now its in the wrong position and wont come back out

Back