Just bought a Uberti 36 pocket 5.5 but...

brotherg

Just curious. You haven't said anything about the usual pin that keeps the cylinder arbor from turning.

Was it there on those two? I have an older '51 that doesen't appear to be drilled and pinned. On all my others, the locking pin is evident when you pull back the hammer.

Just wondered if they have changed the method of holding the arbor in place (Loctite ?), and the same guy missed doing that on those two at the factory?

Don't know who you were dealing with (chain or Local Gun Store), but they might haggle a good deal with you rather than sending them back as defective.

If they are not pinned, but could be fixed with a drop of Loctite and were discounted enough....I'd be tempted. And if the wedge hole in the arbor and barrel line up when the arbor threads jam tight, that might be the case. You may need to fuss with the short arbors anyway.

Swing deal on the pair? Just a thought...

Last edited:
I handled these guns in a perfect storm of rush. Just did not look at them that close. Should have gotten to the bottom of it but just didn't do it. I wish I had gotten the serials as well.

After reading the stuff on the arbor fix it would have to be a pretty good discount. I paid just shy of retail.

What would a smith charge to tighten up an arbor, assuming it just took a little pin pounding and/or Loctite?

Guess that would depend on the smith and shipping and such. I've not had any work done, just do my own. What I was thinking, was that if all you had to do was remove the barrel, put a flat screwdriver in the wedge slot in the arbor, and unscrew it....then that would be easy.

If the threads bottom out when the wedge slot is aligned, you could probably avoid drilling and pinning. I have looked closely and can't find a pin or any staking marks on one of mine. It seems very secure so far.

The Italians may decide at some point, that with a chemical seal/lock, the arbor is secure. That might be argued, but would save them manufacturing cost. That's why I asked about what you had seen.

Anyway, if all you had to do was unscrew it, Locktite it, perhaps stake it with a punch, and use some washers in the arbor hole to fix a short arbor....well that wouldn't be too hard.

But granted, you shouldn't need to do all that on a new gun. However since BP means 'learning to fix things', and if the price was right, I'd be tempted.

The arbor needs to be turned tight until the shoulder stops against the frame, the factory should have done that before cutting the wedge slot. The slot can be "adjusted" to better align with the barrel.
On a new gun you should get a good discount to make it right, The gun shop should discuss this issue with Uberti.

Back