Just bought a Uberti 36 pocket 5.5 but...

brotherg

So, I bring it back to the Ranch this evening. It is all covered in that new grease. All I wanted to do was get the grease off so I could check it out. Grease is gone but the wedge will not go back in. I am out of town, so I do not have my gunsmithing tools. I do not want to mark it up but the wedge will not go back in. I have gently pounded it with a plastic screwdriver handle, wiggled it around to try and get it line back up but nothing will get the wedge back in.

Questions: Is it a bad gun, needs to be returned? Is there something simple I am missing? How do I get the wedge back in?

This is not my first Rodeo, I own several BP hand Guns and a couple of BP open frames.

Help!

I will pass right by the shop I purchased it from in the morning.

I suppose it is a Colt clone...

Are you trying to do so from the correct side? Remember it goes from left to right...with the gun pointed as if you're about to shoot...

Yea, from left to right. Never actually took it all the way out. Just slid it out far enough to get the barrel off and now it will not go back in. Colt Pocket Navy 5.5 inch barrel, made by Uberti.

Maybe the base pin turned clockwise or counter clockwise a little...

The best thing you can do is take it to the shop for checking

Give the muzzle a pretty good rap with a piece of wood to make sure it's seated on the pins. If it tries to start but won't go through you will have to bump it but it shouldn't take more force going in than it did coming out. Many of them are tough to get in and out the first few times.

Thanks for the help. None of that worked. On further inspection, the arbor is not seated and will turn. Going back. It was the end of the day and we were all in a rush and I really did not check the gun out. That is the whole point of buying a gun at a store, live and learn.

Well, buyers remorse has turned to sad I don't have a pocket Navy. Oh well, they had another but the arbor was twisty on it as well, but the wedge would go in and out. I know Uberti arbors are short but they are not supposed to move any are they?

I never heard of a loose arbor on a new gun before. They're threaded in and are supposed to be pinned.

Thanks for the help. None of that worked. On further inspection, the arbor is not seated and will turn. Going back. It was the end of the day and we were all in a rush and I really did not check the gun out. That is the whole point of buying a gun at a store, live and learn.

I told you...maybe the base pin (arbor) was turning clockwise or counter clockwise...

Thanks, Centurion, it was part of the problem. When I took it back the guy behind the counter could not get the wedge back in with a hammer. Not sure why these two guns had arbors that would move. I still want a pocket Navy just not sure where to find it now.

Wouldn't trust those "guys behind the counter" with a screwdriver let alone a hammer!
How bad do you want a pocket pistol? If you can get a deal on one of those I am sure it can be made to be "perfect" by some one who knows open tops, like Mike at Goons Gun Shop.
Even if it's wedge worked there are adjustments and tuning that should be done either by your self or someone who does that sort of thing.

I do not mind working on my brand new out of the box guns. My Uberti Remington needed nothing, that I know of, I am sure it can be improved. My 1860 Uberti colt had a rammer that was a ball grabber, fixed that. It still needs the loading lever catch dovetail hammered. Have not done it yet but think about it often. My original Colt is 154 years of shim, silver solder, and rust (we call it patina) a wall hanger for now, shooter I do not know. As for fixing the arbor, it appears to be above my head and would rather not buy a brand new gun and then pay to have it fixed. I could buy, return, rinse and repeat. Not sure I want to do that probably will unless I can get my hands on one that works out of the box. However, Goons, will get at least one of my guns if I ever find myself competing. At this time I just fling lead in the general direction of a target.

Fixing the arbor isn't hard and if you get a Uberti open top the arbor will be short. If you want a brand new Police in the original size then Uberti is the only game in town. Pietta Police models are just short barreled navies.

Back