Just Bought a Model 28-2

Numrich

C.R.Sam,

I just had a negative experience this week after ordering S&W grips from Numrich (Gun Parts Corp). I ordered three pair of K/L/N grips ranging in price from $65 to $67 each. For that price you'd think they would be either new or in excellent used shape, eh? No way, all three grips were only fair condition with each pair exhibiting chips out of the wood and major scratches. They looked worse than the grips I was trying to replace. I returned them for credit, however, I was stuck with $15 for roundtrip shipping.

I second the suggestion from S&W44, you can get some excellent grips at reasonable prices on ebay if you are patient.

YMMV

Thanks BADSBSNF81; I just checked that earlier this evening. The price is $30.00 for the detailed historical letter. The web page has a form to print, fill out and return with a photo of the gun and your check. I think I may send off for one next week.

I'm planning on taking my new M28 to the range either tomorrow or Sunday, and will try out some various ammo, from the 158 gr. Winchester .38 Special I have on hand to some fairly potent .357 loads. I'll see what they have at the range when I get there. Anybody have any recommendations for .357 ammo to test the M28's capabilities?

I'll report my impressions of the M28 after shooting it. I have had several K-Frame .357s over the years, and currently have two M19s, so I am very familiar with the feel of the K-Frames. I am really looking forward to seeing how much the N-Frame differs.

Ron

Answer to UGLEYGUN's question

Guleygun:
I have a 3 inch SQUARE BUT [It was re-framed by S&W.]657..41Magnum that I use for CCW. In the winter time people do not notice the bulge on the Pachmyer grips. The SMALL service grips would get the gun out of sight in the SUMMER.

I took my M28-2 to the range today. Just to make sure that everything was working and that the timing was OK, I started out with a box of Winchester 158 gr lead .38 Specials that I had on hand. It was like shooting a noisy pellet gun.

Then I shot 100 rounds of Remington 110 gr. sjhp .357. I was very impressed with how well this gun shoots. I'll will continue to experiment with different ammo to see if there's one in particular that is best for this gun, but the 110 gr Remingtons performed admirably. Shooting at about 20 yds with a two-hand hold, I was easily grouping inside of 2" once I got the sights adjusted.

I still don't like the look of the rubber Hogue grips, but I have to admit that they were fairly comfortable when shooting the magnum loads.

Now that I know that I can shoot it respectably, I have to find a decent holster so I can carry it when I don't feel like carrying my Colt S70 Gov Model .45. Any suggestions on a good, fairly concealable belt holster for the M28?

Ron

I E-Mailed you about MAGNA grips

I E-mailed you last night about cheap N frame Magna grips.
I don't have them but, I'm trying to get permission to give you his E-Mail address, so you can deal direct.
The grips: May or May Not have Screws. The have a few scratches. The guy says they are $15 each or 2 for $28. He pays the shipping. I'll let you know his reply.

Back