Just Bought a Model 28-2

RS2

Inactive
Happy New Year everyone. I hope everyone had fun and made it home safely.

I probably overpaid, but I bought myself a present yesterday in celebration of the New Year. I found a Model 28-2 4" Highway Patrolman in excellent condition for $375.00 (I know). This is the first N Frame .357 I have ever owned, although I did have a 4" Model 29 back in the late 70s that I wish I still owned (I'll have to post another thread on guns we should never have sold or traded in our youth). I thought about this one for a few days and decided that I would more miss not buying the M28 than I'd miss the cash.

I am looking forward to taking the M28 to the range this weekend to see how it shoots, I may try some loads that I would be hesitant to fire in my two Model 19s.

I have a few of questions for those more knowledgable than I:

What is the approximate production date for my M28-2 - Serial Number is N952***? I'm fairly sure it's after 1980, but I can't find more precise information.

When was the 28-2 version produced?

How did the 28-2 differ from the 28-1 version?

Was there a 28-3 version made and when did its production cease? When was the Model 28 discontinued?

Where can I find a pair of N Frame Magna grips, preferably with the diamonds around the screw holes? The rubberish Hogue monogrip actually doesn't feel too bad, but I prefer the more classic look of wood. Any other grip suggestions?

My thanks to all who can share some of their wisdom and experience.

Ron

Greeting's From The Cold Deep South,

I can't answer all your questions, as I will defer
to our Smith & Wesson expert, Mr. Mike Irwin;
but I believe that he will agree with me, that
the S&W model 28's production was ceased
in 1986? At least, that's when it was dropped
from S&W's catalog.:eek:

What a shame, as these are excellent no frill's
type firearm's.:) I've owned a 4" and 2X 6"
version's, and all of them performed well.
Have a great New Year's Day, and enjoy
that good ole' Smith.:D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Dash numbers = engineering changes.

Model 28.
dash one, changed from right hand to left hand thread ejector rod. 1960
dash two, cylinder stop changed, hole in front of trigger guard eliminated. 1962
dash three, eliminate cylinder counterbore. (no more pinned n recessed) 1982

Concurr with Ala Dan re 1986 bein the last of em.

Enjoy your REAL .357mag.

Sam

Model 28-2 Wood grips

RS2
I am looking for the original "SMALL" Service grip that everybody took off and through away for my 657. I want it for CCW in the summer time.

All "N" frame grips will fit all frames, so long as they are round or square but. Whhich ever you need. I need SQUARE BUT.

I've got the original pair that came with my 38/44 Outdoorsman, gonna keep them too. Just curious what do a set of those little tiny grips go for?

Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) shows the little service stocks at about 65 bucks. If you can't find em in somebody's twenty year box for five or so......big bullet to bite for so little wood. Can't have mine, I like em.

Sam

I saw a 4" 28 a couple of months ago with those grips. I don`t remember what -# it was. The dealer wanted $500 and I wouldn`t pay that kind of money especially to him. :barf:

I picked up an as-new 28-2 4" a couple of years ago for $250. :)

I'll get back to you on the date of manufacture when I get home this evening. I'm at work, the books are at home.

Paid almost the same for my 28-2 ser N574*** was made around 1975. Mine came lnib with a cleaning tool and small screwdriver. Good luck with yours.

You got yourself a truly great gun. I am with you, don't worry about the price. That being said, I bought a cherry pinned and recessed 28-2 last summer for $225. I wasn't even thinking about it until I saw the price. It is one of the sweetest guns I ever owned. The trigger is better than my 29 that was tuned by Jack Weigand. This same dealer now has a cherry 6" model 27 for $325. I need that like I need a hole in the head, but I may break down and buy it anyway.

Thanks guys ...

I appreciate all of your encouraging comments. It's nice to know that I finally have a REAL .357 MAGNUM, although my two M19s aren't talking to me anymore.

I don't so much mind feeling like a jackass for paying too much for a gun that everyone seems to feel is a great one; rather than getting a great deal on a piece of crap that will get me laughed out of the range.

I have been informed that my M28-2 was made in 1983, after the 28-3 engineering changes were announce. Mine has the recessed chambers, but not a pinned barrel, making it apparently some sort of transitional model (obviously worth several times the paltry $375 I paid for it <joke>:D)

Numrich lists both the N-Frame Square Butt Service Grips at about $65 and also the Combat Magna Grips at about $48. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Ron

Well, I see I'm not the only one that adopted a Highway Patrolman over the weekend. Picked up a 60's 4" that was a
carry gun til the dude retired. Saddle worn but should be a good
shooter for years.
Dan

How much did you say the "Service Stocks" were?

When the model 28 first came out the small SERVICE STOCKS [They just went around the steel part of the grip.]were standard. Later the LARGER TARGET stocks became standard.

"Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) shows the little service stocks at about $65."

Six months ago, I turned a set down for $15.00. They had no screws.
MADISON

Based on your SN and SCOS&W2ED, your Model 28 was made after 1983. This is a little strange since the 28-3 engineering change happened in 82 as previously mentioned by C.R. Sam. Does yours have a pinned bbl and recessed cylinder? Sounds like a candidate for a phone call or letter from S&W IMO. HTH

My M28 definitely says -2 inside. It does have the recessed chambers, but not the pinned barrel. It has a rubber Hogue monogrip with finger groves, which I hope to replace with some proper S&W wood.

What is the protocol for requesting a letter from S&W? I recall seeing somewhere that there's a $30 charge and that the letter should be sent to Roy Jinks. Is that correct?

Ron

It's very likely that this gun was a "remainder" gun, that only got PART of the updates.

Happened quite frequently, actually.

The engineering changes were made during production.

It's looking like the frame of the gun was the new style frame, without the pin, but the cylinder that got dropped into it when it was assembled was the old style, hence the 28-2 marking even though the serial number is post change.

Not really all that uncommon.

If you're looking for wood S&W grips,try E-Bay,the online auction site.They usually have quite a few up for auction.

I've got a 6" Model 28 and all it really is, is a model 27 without all the refinements. It is the heavy N frame .357 magnum, that will last a life time of use if give a little care. You will be hard pressed to find a better revolver for any amount of money IMHO...

7th

Mine's a Pre-28 6". I gave $250.00 for it.
2002142909806524416706.jpg

Back