Just bought a Finn M39 B barrel

That can be a consideration, but it's got to be pointed out that all the Finnish MS are 308-309, and people fire them. All Finnish Mosins have Russian made receivers and bolts too. So from the standpoint of the barreled action, rebarreling a 91/30 with a 308 bore is no different then what the Finns did with millions of them.

Wyosmith

I was unaware of this i thought they were .311 anyhow its a good action and im sure that with the amount of Mosins in our Country and around the world there will alwayse be amunition available for them, even after the cheap surplus runs out. So i think your project would be worthwhile.

I have been told that both Hornady and Remington are making it in this country on a limited basis.
Is that true? Have any of you guys seen such ammo?

I would be curious to know what bullets they are loaded with. Remington makes 180 grain .311" bullets and Hornady makes a few bullets in the .312" diameter. But if we look at Hornady's handbook for reloading they show all their data with .308" bullets.
Does anyone have any details?

With the advent of the CMP GSM Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches, Hornady is making match ammo for the 7.62X54R. I haven't seen any as yet but I understand it will be available for the CMP Eastern & Western Games as well as Perry.

Personally I wont shoot surplus ammo in mine. It (91/30) has a good bore and I load Sierra .311 bullets with Winchester Brass. It shoots quite well in my rifle.

I put on a CPM-GSM Clinic and Match yesterday, there were three Mosin's in attendence, the surplus ammo gave fits to two of the Mosins. I loaned mine out, with my ammo, and it produced no problems.

Yes surplus ammo is cheaper then quality reloads, but I'll take accuracy over cheap any day.

A good 91/30 will shoot as good as a finish model if one learns to shoot it, and takes care in the loading of ammo for it.

One of these days I'd love to get into reloading. The way it is right now though even if I had the equipment I wouldn't have the time. I would love to try out the D166 Finnish round. One of these days...

Hey kraig is there a website for info on those vintage rifle matches? I think it would be fun to do every once in a while. Plus I'd love to have bragging rights over my buddy and his M1 Garand. :)

Ok here it is. After a full disassembly and cleaning I finally have it all back together and I snapped a couple quick pictures to share with everyone. I can't wait to take it to the range and see if its the shooter I think it will be.

m39_r.jpg

m39_2.jpg

m39.jpg

Two thumbs up! I really like the woodgrain in that stock...... looking foward to hearing your impressions upon shooting it.

Mr. KraigWY,

Is it possible to locate those two MNs that were having problems?

Some early imported MNs had 30 cal barrels, and when the shooter tries to pump surplus .311 bullets thru it works about half the time. I've an been told there are 7.62X53R MNs out there and they have 30 cal bores. I will see the man who told me all this in two weeks. Last time he had a MN with a 30 cal bore for sale. It looked like a m39 without the pistol grip stock, and the rifle had a designated model number.

I know all of this is true because I heard it form, 'a guy at the gunshow'.

Maybe the shooters never properly lubed the bolts.

I know all of this is true because I heard it form, 'a guy at the gunshow'.

LOL :rolleyes:
That's like "I read it in the news paper so I know it's true" :D

My understanding is if it has the D stamp and the 3600 proof stamp in the barrel it's good to go with modern surplus ammo. But all M/39's should have a .310 bore and some M/39's do not have the D stamp. Maybe the Finns just stopped doing it at some point ?

Is it possible to locate those two MNs that were having problems?

Yes I know both rifles. The problem was the steel cases were splitting on the body making extraction difficult, (bad in rapid fire). When they used my reloads (Winchester Brass and Sierra .311 bullets) they had zero problems.

I guess the cheap surplus ammo would be ok for plinking, but I'm more into target shooting.

Hard know what issue(s) is without being there with measurement tools at hand. If MNs were 7.62X53R, then a brass 7.62X54R case could be locked without has much force as a steel case round. It is just a guess. As for my man at the gunshow...everyone know he has all the answers.:barf:

Never heard of MN chambered in 7.62X54R having any loading probems with comblock 7.62x54R ammo. Seen lots of shooters struggling with MN bolt manipulation at the range & always thought those problems were due to improper lube. The man at the gunshow told me about 7.62x53R, and now I'm a MN expert.:eek:

Back