Just a thought about home made ammo.

I used to fish up in Canada and one of the locals told me that his neighbor used to lightly cut (Paper shells) the shell right below the shot area and use them as slugs. I suspect a lot of these ideas started with beer.

You can do it with plastic hulls too.
They're called cut shells, they do work, but the problem is they will not feed in anything.. so you're basicly reduced to single shot loading pump/semi/lever/bolt, or using them in break actions.

The plus side is you just need a knife to make them and can be done so on the fly.

check youtube for videos of their use.

On the down side is that cut shells don't work as intended through chokes. Chokes tend to open the front of the shell as it is squeezed. Try some at a target with a full, modified and cylinder choke to see what is really happening. Run the test at 25 to 30 yards.

shells

On the down side is that cut shells don't work as intended through chokes. Chokes tend to open the front of the shell as it is squeezed. Try some at a target with a full, modified and cylinder choke to see what is really happening. Run the test at 25 to 30 yards.

I am glad that some one wrote that here.
A standard 12 gauge plastic hull has an O.D. of 0.790". !2 gauge Cylinder is 0.729"; FC is 0.690"
A bit too much squeeze for my taste.

Pete

Back