Just a few AK questions

What about the Glaobal Arms (sold by Interstate Arms) SSR-99? Looks realy great. And AK-47.net gave it four "stars." I have kinda started to lean over to the black synthetic furniture now (don't ask why, even I don't know). And since this variant has the original Bulgarian stuff, I can switch it with anything I want anytime. Only thing I really don't know about it, is the cost. Anyone here know?

Hueco

The SSR99 is nothing more than a Bulgarian SLR95 with US internals, allowing it to use a pistol grip stock. I believe they are parkerized. Everyone I've heard from that owns one LOVES it. Like I said before, I have a Bulgarian SA93 (predessesor to the SLR95) and it is a fine rifle. 2moa using a scope is pretty darn good for an AK. Go to the Bulgarian section of the AK-47.net forums. There are plenty of SSR99 owners there and the board is moderated by a company rep. for Arsenal/Global Trades. I think they run about $600 but don't quote me. Check the classifieds at AK-47.net also. Sometimes they have an SSR for sale.

[This message has been edited by Jaeger (edited April 21, 2000).]

Jaeger, you just made my day!! I was hoping for a good report on them, and alos a decent price. $600 is exactly what I want to spend. Thanks again, hope your day turns out as well as mine just did!

Hueco

Hueco-

Those rifles are registered full auto AKs.

Thats what happens when you have a fixed supply since 1986, you end up paying thousands for things that you can get for a few dollars in third world countries.

Ah-ha, that explains it...but what about Stonehenge?
smile.gif

Hueco

My brother has an Egyptian AK and an AR-15 bushmaster. I own an SKS, preban. All three shoot perfectly and aren't even exercised at 100 yards. You really have to get outside and push things to 200+ to see the difference between them. The very first time I ever shot my brothers AR, I was standing, without a scope, and placed 10 rounds in a 4" group at 100 yards. And, I'm only a fair shot. The gun really does it well!
While all of them are reliable, The AR is the "cleanest" and best put together of the three and impresses me with its build. The SKS is second but not by much. The one I have is all milled and is nicely done. The AK, however, is pressed steel and I'm always amazed at the fact that it works at all! I mean that this particular piece is an ugly gun and I wouldn't own it myself. I don't even like the stock but it does shoot very well and, again, is reliable. So, while it isn't really pretty imho, it does the job reliably well which is what it was built for, right? And, with the way things are going, I'll be buying another SKS soon. The prices have already started to go up. (two years ago they were $70 in the box. Today, $250 for a decent one) I also found 762x39 ammo at Cheaperthandirt.com for .10 a round!! My .45 costs more than that! Finally, no one really "needs" one of these guns. I like to shoot "match" with my rifle and you have to use military loads. So, the SKS works for me although I going to purchase an M1 soon.

R

Back