Just a few AK questions

Hueco

Ok, I have yet another itch that I might have to scratch -- Avtomat Kalshnikova...yup: ak-47. Now, I have found one that really matches the "look" I want. Tennessee Guns has the Polytech (is it a polytech?) Blonde Legend. Now, the reciever is milled, and Bulgarian. That's good. But what are the other good/bad points of this rifle? Are there any other ones that duplicate the look (pistol grip, high-cap mag capability, etc.), but are better? And legally, how long would I be able to keep it before the guv'ment took it away?

Hueco

I've got another question...what do you want a thing like that for? I am not saying you *shouldn't* buy it, but consider that an AR-15 offers more accuracy, better parts availability, US standard ammo...you can convert it to a short 16" "carbine" type weapon with the appropriate top, or a competition rifle with the right 20" upper. And the accuracy of the AK is inferior to the AR-15.

Sure, it costs more...a decent Bushmaster runs about $850...but you can rig it out for more.

.......because every serious gun-nut should have at least one AK in their stable.

.......because everyday prices on AKs go up while availability goes down.

.......because they are plenty fun to shoot.

.......because they represent everything that we as americans tend to shun.

.......because they are ultra-reliable and pack a .30 caliber wollop at close quarters.

.......because pistol-gripped versions are becoming easier to purchase.

.......because they just look plain EVIL!

I have limited experience with the Tennessee Gun AK variants, but they are supposed to be of a higher quality than the SARs imported by Century Arms. They may have inferior US made internals. Not many of the folks over at www.AK-47.net have much experience with the current production from Tenn Guns, however the pre-Y2K Aks that they offered were made from ugly surplus Eastern Bloc barrels and metalwork. For the money you could probably get a nice MAK90 that you can legally convert to a pistol-gripped bad-boy AND get a SAR to play with too! They only thing better than the current US crop of pistol-gripped AKs would either be a pre-ban ( I have a Polytech pre-ban which I recently purchased for 550....I've seen 'em for $800~$1400), or if you can get your hands on a post-ban SSR99 built on a Bulgairian milled receiver. More info on www.AK-47.net

HTH!

When I hear a statement like: "What do you want a thing like that for" I makes me think: "Well, what do you want your guns for". Should be a no-brainer!

spleenandideal.....ditto.....got me an SAR1....maybe not much to look at...but it flat shoots! I like the bigger bullets anyway...besides...I have a Marlin .22 with a scope...much cheaper than an AR.and it does not jam!
smile.gif

Let's not forget that 7.62x39 is cheaper than .223 and just as easy to find. It is also an effective deer round with the right ammo, I like the Cor-Bon 150 gr. softpoint.

Forseti, "what would you want a thing like that for?" sounds like something an anti-
gunner says. I'm not saying you are anti, I'm just saying that we all have different preferences. An AK is an extremely practical and versatile weapon and has justified it's existence many more times than any of us will ever know.

------------------
Think!

Some folks think the Polytech milled Legend as the AK to have. Personally, I think it's the Galil but that's another category ($$$$$). The Polytech Legend is a fine AK. It is certainly more durable than the Norinco brand.

Mind you, Polytech and Norinco are both owned by our proletariat and peasant loving comrades of the People's Liberation Army. In essence, they're different group of factories all owned by the same folks.

I've never stacked the Polytech against the Bulgarian model. That question is best posed at an AK site (AK-47.net if you can stand the flaming).

Regarding the final question about government "taking" of any firearm, that depends on how effective you, I and every other believer of the Second Amendment are in our fight to keep our rights. Sorry I don't have a crystal ball.

The "Legend" being offered by Tennessee Guns are not Polytechs. They use new Bulgarian milled receivers and "original 1952 manufacture milled parts", probably Bulgarian or Polish. The trigger group is almost certainly of US manufacture. US trigger groups suck! They are cheap castings that are improperly heat treated. Fortunately the parts are fairly easy to remove and re heat treat. (detailed instructions can be found on www.AK-47.net
I have a Bulgarian SA93. It is newly manufactured, milled receiver gun and it is awesome. Definitely one of my favorite guns. I had a military scope rail installed and using a Russian PSO4 scope I can get 2" groups at 100 yds. using Russian and German ammo. Personally, I prefer milled guns over stamped guns but that's just my taste. To each his own. I'd like to pick up another AK. I've seen Egyptian Maadis(10 round single stack versions) for sale in Shotgun News for $180. A little time with a Dremel tool and some files and it will take regular hi cap mags. That might be just the ticket.....
Seriously, check out AK-47.net and Shotgun News and I'm sure you'll be able to find something you like.

[This message has been edited by Jaeger (edited April 20, 2000).]

Thanks guys! One suggestion though, let's not have this thread turn into yet another AK vs. AR battle. It hasn't yet, and there are plenty of them in the archives.
biggrin.gif
IMO, the AK is really a different rifle from the AR anyway.

Hueco

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forseti:
Sure, it costs more...a decent Bushmaster runs about $850...but you can rig it out for more.
[/quote]

That says it all. Bushmaster or Armalite make good weapons
and I plan to have one in the future. As for now $850 will get a good quality
AK plus a ton of ammo. The accuracy thing is true but I rarely shoot over 100 yards. At that range I can make a 20-ounce pop bottle dance all day.
(If that’s your idea of a good time)
If you’re in to long range target shooting get the AR. Kinda like whatever floats your boat.

[This message has been edited by jeffer (edited April 20, 2000).]

Personally, I think everyone's first "assault rifle" should be an AK type rifle. They can be used and abused, but will continue to function. Hell, I don't think I cleaned the grease completely out of the barrel of my MAK-90 before I shot it the first time and I've popped jack rabbits from 100 yards, offhand, with it.

You might also consider buying a Saiga AK in 7.62x39 and sending it to Mike Prewitt or someone to have it converted to standard AK reconfiguration. That way, you'd have the best AK you could buy, made in the same plant as the AKs of the Russian military.

With the exception of Hesse receivered AKs, it's hard to go wrong with one. Good luck, you'll love it.

I've heard of the conversions of the Saigas. First, how much would that cost to have these features implemented:

Pistol grip
High-cap, detachable mag
Non-folding wood stock
Wood furniture

Also, where can I buy a good quality Saiga?

Hueco

I've checked into this and I believe that Mike Prewitt at MSC said the total project (including the gun) would cost about $800. It would be great to have the bragging rights to say that you have a "real" Russian AK but $800 is a little salty for me right now. Maybe someday if they are still available......

If money is of little concern then have Mike build you an AK/Galil hybrid. He starts with a milled Bulgarian receiver and adds a Galil gas assembly and sighting system and furniture. He will also modify the safety for you so that it is identical to a Galil. You then have all of the best features of the Galil but you can fire the cheaper, ballistically superior, 7.62X39 and use regular AK magazines. That's about $1400.00. Mike said that most of the cost is the IMI parts.

Get yourself a Shotgun News. It's full of advertisements for various AKs, ncluding the Saiga. Be forewarned, if you buy a Saiga, it will accept hicap mags but it will not feed! In order to get it to work with anything other than the factory 5 rnd mags you must have a feed ramp installed.
www.burnsbro.com www.jgsales.com www.classicarms.com www.tennesseeguns.com
these are a few of the places that advertise in Shotgun News. I've had very good experiences with Classic Arms.

Browse the rifle and accessory reviews on AK-47.net. You will learn most of what you need to know.

I may be overstepping my bounds here. Has anyone given thought to the SKS "M" versions that accept the AK mags? They're available for under $400, are more accurate, and lighter than the AKs. Of course, I have no argument with buying whatever gun you want. Enjoy!

Hello, This is my first post here. Looks like a pretty good board.
Hueco,.. the Polytech and Bulgarian AK's are two different rifles. You might want to double check with Tennessee Guns about who actually makes these.

Since I've taken a little flak here, remember that I did NOT say he SHOULDN'T get the AK...I agree it can take more abuse than the AR's and still keep going (but who reading this forum really abuses their guns...probaby most are "babied"). I merely suggest that Hueco question just exactly why he wants it...a bit of self analysis. I've handled AK's, and lusted a bit after them as well...but the AR-15 comes out as the more versitile weapon for a civilian. And to my knowledge, no law enforcement group uses an AK variant...they all use AR-15's, since they are simply better guns for accurate shooting.

And I have to concur with 2 out of the 7 reasons spleenandideal gives to buy the gun. But they still don't win out over an AR-15, unless you never plan to clean the thing again...(in which case I WOULD go for the AK).

I know how the comment was intended but here is something I read a while back:

"Slaves are given what they need; free people can buy what they want."

We are not entirely "free" and maybe should not be able to buy anything, but I think of that every time someone says I don't "need" something, or asks why I "want" something.

Jim

Although I consider my AR15 superior to my AK in most ways, I do think that AKs are 1)fun to use 2)very reliable 3)use a heavier bullet but still have light recoil 4)a part of any complete collection. While I'd grab an AR for distance work, an AK is as good or better close up...so why not get both and have fun.

Forseti~

My post was not meant to flame.... but it hurts that you only concur with 2 out of 7 of my points.
wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, my first love besides my old high-school sweetie are my ARs. But the AKs are just so different. When I was eating/sleeping/dreaming/spending on or about AR15s, the AK seemed so 'alien.' But after the lust is over and you have one or two or three in your safe, they never cease to amaze in their simplicity.

Everyone needs one of each. 'Nuff said.

happy shooting!

Back