Jury Nullification - Real or Imagined?

I thought Juries were like those guys in 12 Angry Men... lots of logical and enlightening arguments, strong feelings, driving passions to do what is right.

You guys make them sound like they are semi-worthless panaceas or something.. and that the federal gov't and the handpicked judges are the ones who really call the shots, by helping the lawyers to keep learned, thoughtful and/or opinionated people out of the important cases.

Sheesh.
wink.gif

------------------
-Essayons

Okay. I've read more about Jury Nullification here than I ever dreamed existed. Thanks.

However, up at the top I said:
(QUOTE)
5) So, perhaps I have jumped the gun! Maybe we still have the right of Jury Nullification. So, please direct me to a case where Jury Nullification has been
successfully employed in the last fifty years.

If we have the right but are not allowed to use it, do we actually have it? I think
not (but I am open to corrections). We have the Second Amendment, but we are
“infringed” as the dickens. I believed such may be the fact with Jury Nullification.
(UNQUOTE)

Is that right or wrong? If the judges, attorneys, and the Supreme Court have the show "rigged" so Jury Nullification is virtually useless, then for practical terms our right is gone. Right?

Dennis,

Your fellow juror is ABSOLUTELY correct. That judge committed a grievous crime. By not informing a jury of their right, nay, their very responsibility to judge the validity of the law he is guilty of jury tampering.

This is why there is no justice in criminal courts. People get called for jury duty and have NO IDEA WHATEVER how the system works and ARE NOT INFORMED when the time comes. Then a judge bluffs them into believing that they are required to adhere to statutory law regardless of circumstances or constitutionality of that law.

Jury nullification is the FINAL check and ballance.

If someone was in for, say, income tax evasion and you don't agree with the idea of graduated incoma tax; "NOT GUILTY your honor!"

Next time this comes up, don't say anything. let the trial progress, if the law seems silly to you "hang" the jury up. Doing nothing is better than doing injustice, and there is no law that says you must reach a verdict. Only Totalitarian Governments have that kind of requirement... AAAHH! Now the reason for that judge's behavior is clear, eh? Remember, that silly gold fringe around the flags in ALL government buildings and schools is not just for decoration.

Not a lawyer.

Regards

Stop Stop Stop.

The Gold Fringe is on the Flag because the factory makes them that way.. Do you really think that PS102 thinks the Flag in the third grade assembly hall should represent a totalitarian one world gov't ??

-----------------------------------------
stuff deleted
-----------------------------------------

why bother arguing, just call me paranoid.

[This message has been edited by Engineer (edited June 10, 1999).]

Okay, Paranoid!
wink.gif

E-mail me and tell me why the gold fringe is important and what it stands for.

An added bonus would be some back-up references. (This is NOT a flame, I am truly interested!)

I have heard it has significance.

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

Jury Nullification is alive and viable....if you know of its existance.

Last year there was a segment on it on one of the news shows (60 Minutes?).
JN is threatening to the legal establishment as they lose control of the process. It is legal for a judge not to mention that option to the jurors. As with everything, fast and loose is being played, in that apparently a judge can fine, hold in contempt, threaten, etc someone who informs the jury (I don't know if its ultimately legal, but if all judges in a jurisdiction follow the same format, where ya gonna get justice anyway?).

As has been noted in prior posts...follow your conscience and the swine have to eat it.
We are all different, we have a lot of commonality, but you have to sleep with yourself and look in the mirror in the morning.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I watched a variation of jury nullification in action once when I was a municipal court baliff. The accused was a 19-20 year old man who was accused of embezzlement. He was a management trainee at a fast food joint. One day $300 didn't make it to the bank night deposit slot.

The prosecuting attorney did a piss poor job of presenting the case. It was apparent from testimony by the restaurant manager and the district manager that established safeguards to prevent embezzlement were not being utilized. Even I detected an atmosphere that the manager and district manager were determined to "get" the defendant to cover up their incompetence.

The jury acquitted the man in perhaps 30 minutes. Afterwards a couple of the members of the jury told me the entire jury believed the accused did it, but they were pissed off that a simple embezzlement trial took three days to present the evidence. They were pissed the prosecuting attorney didn't let them examine the documentary evidence until it was handed to them in the jury room. They were irritated at the manager and district manager for being such incompetent boobs. So, they acquitted the guy.

Juries take their work seriously, but don't piss them off if you are an attorney and you want to win.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.

Ya know folks, I'm getting "brain ache". There's just too many mutually exclusive "realities" for my simple, outnumbered, overworked little synapses to cope with.

The Second Amendment seems SO clear to me. The perverts pervert it, they know they pervert it, we don't resist the perverts' perversions because it could destroy us and our families, so the true meaning becomes a "viewpoint" and the laws virtually destroy it. All this has been done to protect us from ourselves and to protect (grrr) "the children". Haven't our lawmakers just done wonderful? Ain't they gooood?

Every time I begin to calm down I go listen to that California Atty Gen's warning speeches. The ceiling here in the den is scorched, my monitor is showing heat damage. The kids quickly leave the house and the good lady I'm married to tries to hide in her livingroom chair. Haven't even seen the cat in two days....

So the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed! If you own an SKS sporting rifle with a detachable magazine, you've got a problem!

Ow! Whiplash!

And if we use Jury Nullification in the manner originally intended, as we are legally able and morally required to do, we can be cited for contempt.

Contempt? Boy, don't they just see right through us sometimes?

Dennis

Jury nullification also called jury lawlessness is still alive and well for those of us who know the truth. Every court in the land will tell you that it does not exist, but the truth of the matter is that they can not deny a juror his right to nullify without first doing away with trial by jury. The instructions to the jury in the very first trial in the US conducted by the Supreme Court in part read:

"... it is presumed, that the juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the other hand, presumed that the courts are the best judges of law. But still both objects are within your power of decision."

For a more complete and through review of this subject, I suggest reading the law review article
Jury Nullification: The Top Secret Constitutional Right by James Joseph Duane. It also gives reference to several court cases dealing with the subject, including some Supreme Court cites. It is posted on the web. Sorry but I lost the link to it.

That being said, a few here claim that with the questions that are asked when selecting a jury would preclude any one who knows about and agrees with jury nullification to be chosen. I disagree. When asked the question "do you feel that you can judge based upon the facts in an unbiased manner" your answer should always be yes unless you have a personal vendetta against the accused. If the judge instructs you to base your verdict on the facts in the case only and he will tell you what the law is fine. I can agree to that. Are not the laws themselves facts in the case? Don't ever lie, but neither should you offer more information that what is asked of you.

I once served on a jury where a contractor was accused of swindling an older couple by taking their money without doing the work. He was also charged with operating without a valid contractor's license. In the jury room it started out 11 to 1 for guilty with me as the only hold out. The reasons given for their guilty verdict was that he was one of those who went around taking advantage of old folks. Swindling them out of their hard earned savings. After two hours of fighting our foreman went to the judge and stated we were helplessly deadlocked. The judge pulled us all back into the court and ordered us to return and not come back without a verdict.

Thankfully for the defendant there was another contractor among us jurors. The first charge of swindling I approached from a logical standpoint. We sat down with pen and paper and added up all of the work that the contractor had done and compared that against what he was paid. See he had contracted to redo the landscaping of the place. This included building a 6' retaining wall with railroad ties, filling in a large swimming pool, laying underground sprinkler system, pulling up the first 6" of dirt and replacing it with better dirt. We had pictures of the place after he was arrested to go by. The 6' retaining wall was done... our contractor estimated the cost of doing it. The swimming pool was filled in... our contractor estimated the cost of the land fill and labor to do it. The sprinkler system was in. Again we got a fair cost for it. Also the dirt was replaced. In fact all of the work had been done except for seeding and watering. Although it looked like a mess, the vast majority of the most expensive parts of the job were done. What we came up with was a cost that exceeded what he had been paid. At this point everyone voted not guilty on the first charge.

On the second charge of not having a valid contractors license, I argued that the law was intended to prevent someone who was not a contractor from doing the work. This gentleman's license had expired. I told the rest of the jurors that I was not going to convict a man for failing to renew his license because he forgot to. This was not the intent of the law. One juror asked the judge if we could do this. The judge said no, that if we determined he was without a valid license we would have no choice but to convict. By this time there were several others on my side. After a couple more hours of yelling at each other and the hour was getting late, the rest agreed to vote not guilty. Just so they could get out of there.

The one mistake I made was telling the other jurors that I felt that the law was wrong.... I should have just said I felt that he was not guilty and left it at that. Don't give any reasons to the other jurors. So what if you end up deadlocked. The effect is the same. It only takes one vote to set a person free. When asked why you believe they are not guilty you only have to say... Well I don't rightly know... I just have this feeling.

Just for everyone's information. I would never use jury nullification if someone was harmed or if the defendant broke one of the ten commandments. Other than that, I feel that it is not a law. For example murder, rape etc. I would consider gassing the person. But for tax evasion, operating without a license, most of the gun laws, etc. I would really have a problem with finding anyone guilty. These are not laws, but forms of tyranny.... But being the unbiased person I am, I would have to judge every case based upon the facts....
smile.gif

As to them filing charges of contempt. First they have to prove that you intentionally went into the court room knowing you would vote not guilty. If you do not give any reasons for your vote it is pretty unlikely that they could ever deveope a case against you.

Richard.

If you lived in the UK, then we would be having a discussion on whether or not people needed jury trials at all. Some defendants are considered a "nuisance" and to "abuse" the system there, thus not deserve to be ajudicated before a jury. After they take the guns, they start taking away everything else. Orwell was dead on in "Animal Farm."

Back