Junk from SOG

fortkevin2

Well, I received the two M95's I bought from SOG today. I selected handpick on both of them and I'm not happy.

I COMPLETELY understand that they are SURPLUS and therefor will have dents/dings/wear etc etc but I'm pretty frustrated right now.

One of the rifles looks OK and to be in "good to very good" condition, the other looks like crap. The bores on both of them are junk. The "crown"/muzzle's look like crap. The one that looks "good" has a loose site that's about to fall out. A bunch of other things I'll list quite soon. Picture time.

If I am wrong for being upset, please tell me. I'm all about telling people straight how things are.

DSCF1721.jpg

DSCF1704.jpg

DSCF1696.jpg

DSCF1700.jpg

DSCF1701.jpg

I understand 1000% its happened to me. I payed $20.00 extra for hand select. I called and asked what they could do for me. Never got a reply said they would look in to it... Yours look better than mine. lol:rolleyes: I can only imagine what the others looked like..:p:p

As you yourself say, you can't expect a lot from milsurps in general and less from very old milsurps. Today, those pre-WWI rifles have been in the hands of not one army but sometimes two or three, ranging from disciplined troops who cared for their weapons to armed mobs in fourth or fifth world countries where a gun can be used to terrorize unarmed civilians whether it fires or not.

Now a bit about "select." A major importer might have, say, 50,000 Model X rifles in the warehouse. Every morning, the shipping room takes out, again say, 500 rifles because they know that is about how many they will ship that day. By 4:30, they have ten left in the racks when they get to an order for a "select" rifle. Now nobody is going back in the warehouse to search through 50,000 rifles a half hour before quitting time. They pick out the least worst of those ten guns in the shipping room rack and off it goes. The way the world works.

You have the option to return the bummer for a refund or an exchange; if you choose the latter, you might do better next time.

Jim

When in college in the 1960s, I wasted study time at a dealer who did a small sideline in mailorder surplus. He had Spanish Mausers stacked up like cordwood. A $5 extra select order got you the best looking gun from the top layer of the stack; pretty good pay for a minute or so spent in "selection."

One outfit has been honest enough to say that "select" got you the best looking of the next five guns out of inventory.

100 year old (or nearly so), bought sight unseen? You get what you get. Paying extra for "hand select" just means you don't get the worst thing they have. Other than that, it means nothing.

Live, and learn.

Was really dissipointed in mine. It shot pretty good even with the bad barrel.

Everything i ordered from sog was'nt to bad, even all those gunsmith specials i got.

"Good to very good" doesn't = what I got though. That's all I'm saying. I agree you get what you get but I think they were majorly misrepresented.

SOG alternative

From reading around the forums you are not the first to receive something from SOG in a junk form. I heard they still have good service and you may return them for refund.

But here is an alternative place albeit a little pricier for shopping C&R rifles your were interested in. http://www.empirearms.com/

Better luck next time and maybe just use SOG for accessories.

Now nobody is going back in the warehouse to search through 50,000 rifles a half hour before quitting time.

They don't even at the beginning of a work day. Hand select is the best of 10 firearms they look at. They don't go through and grade the entire inventory for "hand select"

It's all part of buying milsurps. Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug! SOG will take a return and refund your money if you call them first.

Another point, "good to very good" means of the stock on hand. There are no fixed definitions of what is "good" or "very good".

However, NRA conditions, poor, fair, good, very good, excellent, etc. are defined. A gun rated as NRA good will have a certain percentage of blueing, wear, pitting, etc.

If they don't say NRA good in the ad, then good means whatever they want it to mean. IF they do say NRA good condition, and the gun does not meet the standard, then you have grounds to be dissatisfied, and a return/replacement is in order.

I have on two occasions returned a firearm to SOG, both were hand select. Both times I received a better piece returned. Their customer relations is far better than most. Talk to Trish and remember; be courteous and polite. You get more bees with honey than vinegar.:)

Agreed, I have worked retail and currently do while I'm in school. I know that she probably had nothing to do with it so getting upset with her will do nothing but make things worse.

I'm sure they will make it right. :)

I bought 2 Polish Toks from them a while back and I don't think that they lived up to the description either. Had I seen them in person, I would not have paid the $200 for either one. One actually has issues firing, but the other one functions fine. Both had rust in the mags. I stripped and cleaned them both.
Both were Century Arms imports, and the mods that were done to put safeties on the pistols are horrendous. Live and learn. Now I ask if the importer is Century, and if it is, I take a pass.

Talked to Trish today and she was great! She issued a UPS recall number so we are good to go. I'm just going to get a refund as I purchased a M95 from a member on Surplusforums.com Will post pictures of that one...it's a beauty and cheaper also!

The only hitch that I've ever had from SOG was that I ordered a Mosin 91/30 and asked for a hex receiver from Izhevsk. I got a hex receiver from Tula (of which I already had a couple). But it was so doggone nice looking that I couldn't bear to send it back.

Now I ask if the importer is Century, and if it is, I take a pass.

If it's a gun they merely import and do nothing to, then Century guns may be just fine. I agree... if it's a gun that Century has modified or built, one should exercise caution (but still possible to get a decent gun, in all honesty), but if they merely import it and do nothing at all to it, you can very often get a sweet gun. Their Mausers, Mosins, etc generally don't disappoint if you know what to look for. I've also got an Arcus 98DAC pistol that Century imported, it was NIB they merely stamped their import mark onto it. It's a fine pistol.

I'm glad I just saw this. I found the M95's for around $80 or so dollars on SOG and thought "WHY NOT?!" Did a little research, found out I can't get ammo for 'em and then found this thread. Thanks for the warning.

Last edited:
Below is one I picked up from a member on Surplus Boards. These are his pictures. Yeah....I'm Happy!! :D

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Last edited:
fortkevin2, that's a beautiful refinished mil-surp but remember some collectors want their rifle in original battle field condition. Two different schools of thought, not that one is better, just different.

The M95’s have been at distributors for a while now. I figure that they are drying up and getting towards the ‘bottom of the barrel’ specimens now.

Back