Judging used rifles

Start with proven gun!

The better quality the guns from that maker the less likely you'll get a lemon. Also consider the source. An estate sale is probably not lemons. Take old Winchester 22 bolt guns. People don't appreciate them anymore. Great guns and seldom anything wrong other than being beat to hell or a minor problem that can be fixed. Don't expect a used gun to be perfect but these days the new guns seem to have as many or more problems because of a lack of quality control. I bought a marlin bolt 22 and it had a bad crown and crappy trigger. Once addressed the gun shot great. I bought a used Ruger 77 that looked great, had the bedding removed from the tip of the barrel attempting to free float but no other bedding was done. Doesn't shoot that well but bedding should take care of it. Sometimes you get used guns nobody makes anymore and sometimes you get ones guys have tinkered with and ruined. It's rare to get a true lemon on the used market but I'm sure they are out there.

I've finally gotten out of the gun buying business. I've sold probably half of the guns I've owned and never regretted getting rid of any of them. But gun money is gun money, not for replacing the worn out washing machine. In other words, what I make on selling a gun I put into another one. And now it is all about calibers, and not whether it is wood, plastic, new or used. The last gun I bought (after selling a few others) was a new Howa barreled action in 6.5CM. I l already had the stock and a few other assorted things (bases and rings). I'm quite happy with it too. So, now I have that caliber to contend with and load for. I do not need anymore calibers. I can't afford to feed the one's I have! So, now when I peruse the racks at my LGS the first thing I look for is the caliber. What's nice is that I have quite a few (too many!) calibers already, so it's nice to just look and not have to worry about buying anything. All it takes is the thought of having to purchase new dies, different caliber bullets, etc. and I get a bad taste in my mouth.

I've accumulated about fifty rifles and shotguns and about half as many handguns over a lifetime that spans almost seventy years. I can count on one hand the number of firearms that I have bought new.

I am always looking for that "great deal" on a firearm that I have on my list of pieces that I really want to own. Most of my purchases have been at gun shows and estate sales. I know what the price of the arm should be and I will try to negotiate a deal if I find something that I really want at a price that seems reasonable.

I ALWAYS walk away if the seller won't negotiate. I NEVER pay more than I think the piece is worth regardless of how much I want it.

I have NEVER been disappointed in any of my purchases.:D

Back