Joining the Mosin contingent (need grease cleaning tips!)

She is coming along nicely. All the metal parts have been thoroughly cleaned. The chamber and barrel are nice and shiny. I will steam the stock tonight.
Next I plan to slug the barrel and get the headspace checked. I plan on hand loading for this one as well.
This has been very enjoyable for me. I've never in the past had a gun that needed much attention beyond basic maintenance and I am finding I really am enjoying tinkering with this one.
Will upload pics tonight.

Sent via Tapatalk ~Android~

If you have a Mosin arsenal refurb, even one of the nicer ones with neatly stamped matching numbers and Cyrillic letters on the bolt mag floorplate, and butt plate, look closely at those numbers. You'll likely find that the size, or the font, or the basic shape of those numbers do not match those on the barrel. The odds are overwhelming that all those parts were force matched.

No biggie! Long as she shoots I'm happy. Don't expect much from a $99 gun.
:)

Still working on getting all the cosmo out of the wood. Not sure it's worth that much trouble... though I am considering sanding down and refinishing the stock.

Attachments

• mosin005.JPG
    mosin005.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 36
  • mosin003.JPG
    mosin003.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 27
  • mosin004.JPG
    mosin004.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 22
Aerosol brake parts cleaner is what I have used with excellent effectiveness on cosmoline. The spray helps wash off and get into the corners and crevices, and evaporates quickly. No residue and no harm to the parts. Does a very quick job and is cheap, too.

Heat will bring the cosmo out of the wood and any other place that you did not or could not reach. Just shooting the gun a bunch may bring some to the surface. Just wipe as you go.

My standard cosmoline cleanup consists of TSP (a cleanser found in hardware stores) in hotwater followed by BLO (boiled linseed oil).

Back