John Woo Movies

Jeff:

I am extremely lucky to live in a city large enough to actually have seen most of the more popular Woo movies on the big screen... the subtitles looked much better from the second row! ;) We've got a great Asian access group here.

If you like Woo, you should also check out some Tsui Hark flicks... Green Snake is one of my favorites. He tends toward more Asian Fantasy than strictly "action" pictures, but they have the same glorious choreography and cinematography.

=Q=

------------------
"Oh, grow up, 007."

The Killer soundtrack - it is as much a holy grail for collectors as that perfect caseless rifle or Excalibur. One or two of the ballads that pretty Killer co-star Sally Yeh sang are available on her albums (I have a collection of songs Yeh sang for many of the movies she was in or hired to provide music for but it does not contain those songs). Some of the instrumental cues in The Killer derived from James Horner's soundtrack for Red Heat.

I do have the Hard Boiled soundtrack and a track or two from A Better Tomorrow. Of Woo's three American bigscreen features, I only purchased the soundtrack to Broken Arrow because the music reminded me the most of what he had his HongKong movies scored with.

Q - I was fortunate enough to see The Killer and Hard Boiled on the bigscreen. Would have caught Bullet in the Head but fate intervened.

As for Tsui Hark, I have a nodding acquaintance with that guy's work! He is maybe one of the most talented, diverse film makers (either his own or those that he produces)in the world. I heartily recommend Tsui's Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind (1980) to readers of this forum. It is about ordinary schoolkids who get sucked into a whirlpool of violence after they do something stupid. Brutal brutal film. Tsui's uncompromising period movie, The Blade (1995), wasn't that much less intense.

Though it had some uneven plotting and dodgy special effects, Green Snake was a beautiful fantasy to view and listen to. Someone duped me the charming, soulful soundtrack off a CD. But the best parts of Green Snake were actressess Joey Wong and Maggie (Police Story 1 - 3, Heroic Trio, Irma Vep, Chinese Box) Cheung.

Tsui backed The Big Heat, The Killer, A Better Tomorrow 1, 2 and directed the Vietnam set part 3 (it was a prequel). He also lent creative energy to the lovely Chinese Ghost Story trilogy (Joey Wong as a spirit in animate white or red robes is as jaw dropping as that blaster you have been slavering over!!!!!!!).

But then Tsui came to America and was given two POS to direct. Go figure.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jffal (edited March 06, 1999).]

Jfal,

since you are the man on thistopic, help me out:

I found a VHS copy of "Once a Theif" , but it has a copyrgiht of 1996.

It says it is directed by John Woo.

Is this the movie I am looking for? I thought there was an older movie with Cow Yun Fat in it?

What's up??

Rob :

Sounds like you located the tv movie remake Woo made of his early nineties Once a Thief film. The original starred Chow Yun Fat, Leslie Cheung and Cherie Cheung. Check the box credits. The remake, intended to open a tv series (which I am unsure whether or not it actually was made - I never saw anything about it besides the tv movie). The remake stars Nicholas Lea ("Ratboy" Krycheck in the X Files) and Michael Wong (a veteran HOng KOng movie actor). Some people liked the remake, some people found it amusing (me) and some folks loathed it.
Jeff

Count me somewhere in the middle on it, I watched it last night... the feeling was Woo, but the final product left something to be desired...

I also got ABT III, which I half watched last night and I thought it was pretty good.

I know its not a Woo film - But Chow Yun Fat is in it - "The Corruptor" It was actualy a cool movie. Let me rephrase that - It was a very cool movie. A bit heavy at times - not a date movie... go with the guys to this one. You'll know why when you see it...

Lots of good action and firing scenes... movie kicks some but.
The Matrix will probably end up being the best gun movie this year... Next to the Holy Trilogy's Episode 1...

------------------

Resistance is Futile

Back