JOHN McCAIN on gun control

I'm opposed to giving in on private sales at gun shows because it seems obvious to me that it is just a step toward a broader prohibition of private sales.

First, virtually all the booths at any gun show are occupied by dealers. There were very few private sellers at the shows I have attended. It has already been noted that only a tiny fraction of guns used in crimes were sold at gun shows, and we're talking about a tiny fraction of that tiny fraction. That alone makes it obvious that this is only a symbolic move and a step toward a more substantive move.

Second, if private sales are not OK at the show, how about in the parking lot? No good? How about we meet down the street in the MegaLoMart parking lot? If private sales are not OK at a gun show, are they OK at a garage sale or flea market? I see nothing special to legally distinguish a gun show from those other places where a private sale (maybe even one arranged at a gun show) might take place. If a private sale should require a background check, then a private sale should require a background check no matter where it occurs. Limiting the restriction to gun shows makes no sense, and in order to be even slightly effective, they would have to regulate talking about sales at the show, then leaving the show to actually do the transaction. The fact that potential buyers and sellers might exploit other ways of finding each other would mean that in order to be even slightly effective, private sales in any location would require a background check.

Third, requiring regulatory action from a government tax collector in order to exercise a fundamental right is unconstitutional and wrong for a free country. We should be able to buy and sell guns without employing the services of a licensed dealer. Having to pay a tax to do a private gun sale reminds me too much of a poll tax. The supposed benefit of all this background checking - criminals and mental incompetents having no legal access to arms - is absurd. Stolen guns and straw purchasers will always ensure that those people need only money to get guns, while the rest of us go to the gun shop to pay our background check tax.

The whole thing is really not a big deal. With all the gun owners I know, I only know of a few private sales which have occurred in my lifetime. All of my guns came from dealers. If they passed this stupid rule and I bought a gun at a show from a private party, we'd just have to go to one of the dozens of FFL's in the room and pay a small fee for a bg check. If my worst prediction came true, and it suddenly became illegal for me to buy a gun from my neighbor, it would just mean that we would have to employ a local dealer to do the check. Again, not a big deal. It's just another step in a direction I don't think we should go.

The fact that this is one of the worst things gun owners have to say about McCain is somewhat comforting when you consider that for a while there it looked like Giuliani might be the nominee.:eek:

Back