Jig for making percussion caps

Great thread. I made some stuff called Armstrong's mixture. It is made from strike on box matches. Do not make this stuff if you can not follow directions. If done right it is safe enough. You just can not mill the components together and must mix them carefully. Very small batches and PPE are also wise. I do not have a cap making machine so I have not tried them on a gun, but it does make quite a bang. It is obviously shock sensitive so careful storage of all these things is a given.

I will try and collect some empty caps next shoot and experiment a little. Need a cap maker.

Regarding the re-priming kit:
http://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/collections/all

Here are the directions for the Sharpshooter 22LR reloading kit:
http://amgsporting.com/22lr-reloader/

They use an eye dropper of acetone for wetting the re-priming compound. According to the above link water or vodka will also work.

I wonder if a drop of super glue after the compound fully dries would lock it in there.

Edit there are a couple youtube videos out there on reloading 22LR using the above kit. Haven't seen one yet on the re-priming compound.

I will try and collect some empty caps next shoot and experiment a little. Need a cap maker.

Brotherg, if you only want to make a few caps to experiment with, a guy named "Raa-7" on The High Road forum came up with a neat idea - it's not as quick as a regular capmaker tool, but it works -

First you punch out a 1/2" disc from thin metal (a leather punch will work). I used the soft sheet aluminum from a disposable pie pan (the aluminum from a beer can was too stiff). Then you cut four radial slits in the disc (I used my wife's cuticle nippers) -

I used a 0.157" diameter steel rod to push this disc through the "Raa-7" homemade die. The die is simply a quarter-inch-thick slab of aluminum with a 0.185" hole (#13 wire gauge bit) drilled through it - the hole is beveled on the top side -

The resulting cap fits nicely on the nipples of my Uberti revolver.

Thanks!

When I was building AK's from kits in my basement, one of the tools I bought was a bolt cutter rivet forming tool.

Example:
hqdefault.jpg

Thinking we could make a head on bolt cutter that would form and cut out 3 or 4 caps at time.

Or... apply AK receiver forming jigs to cap making...
Make a jig that stamps out 20+ caps at a time. All you need is hydraulic shop press...

I re-connected with my Sheet Metal guy - just have to get him on the phone.

Last edited:
Brotherg, if you only want to make a few caps to experiment with, a guy named "Raa-7" on The High Road forum came up with a neat idea - it's not as quick as a regular capmaker tool, but it works -

Great stuff! Saved it. Thanks

Back