Jerry Miculek vs. Olympic Shooters,,,

I'd like to see any of the Olympic shooters make 6 shots on target with a .44 Mag in under 1 second...

Are those "full boat" magnum loads, or what revolver PPC shooters use, barely enough to break through the paper target? Is the distance 5 meters, or 50 meters like Olympic shooters?

The Olympics don't shoot with 'recoil'. .
22 rimfire ammo's recoil during rifle barrel time is enough to make a shot move near 1 MOA from the point of aim when the primer fires.

You gotta hold still about 3 times longer than when shooting center fire arms. And don't change your hold and/or position from shot to shot else bullets won't shoot where you aim them..

Last edited:
I think that Jerry could have done well in the Olympics if he had picked one of the shooting disciplines and trained for it.

The issue is that those disciplines are pretty specialized and need a lot of training that is specifically oriented at the discipline as opposed to just being accessible to a person who is good at some other shooting discipline, or maybe an all around good performer in the shooting sports. Even the Olympic shotgun sports have differences from how they are normally shot in the U.S.

The closest I see to an event that someone might be pretty good at even if they were not specifically training for it is the rapid fire pistol.

In that final round of that sport, the competitor starts with the pistol (a 5 shot semi-auto .22LR with open sights) at low ready (one handed) and at the signal, brings the pistol up and fires at 5 targets set at 25 meters (about 27.3 yards). To score a point, the target (about 4" in diameter) must be hit and the shooter has 4 seconds per string to fire all 5 shots.

The Olympic Gold winner for 2020 was Jean QuiQuampoix who had a score of 34/40 in the final.

A really good bullseye competitor might do pretty well at that sport if they could handle the time constraint and get used to shooting at multiple targets instead of just one.

They keep tinkering with events. I think it good that they dropped the .22 Shortshooters from Rapid Fire, but they also changed the targets, so how can scores be compared over the years?

Same thing with highpower rifle matches when the scoring rings sizes were made smaller in the late 1960's and changed from 5 point to 10 point values. The 308 Winchester ammo and chamber then used was more accurate than the 30-06 causing too many unbreakable ties. Had the 30-06 chambers been changed a bit and slower twist used, they would have been more accurate.

You can compare scores by comparing one targets shot hole pattern across that of others with different ring sizes.

Last edited:
Back