Jerry Miculek vs. Olympic Shooters,,,

aarondhgraham

So I just watched a video of Jerry Miculek on youtube,,,
And since the Olympics are in the news it got me to thinking.

I wonder how well Jerry would do against the US Olympic team?

Now I'm not trying to take a thing from Mr. Miculek,,,
His accomplishments are a great many and well documented.

Just wondering if he has ever gone up against any US Olympic shooters.

And why is his daughter not on the team?

Just wondering is all.

Aarond

It certainly would be fun to ponder how he would do against the Olympic level shooters. Jerry is world class in his particular shooting sports, but none of them are even Olympic categories.

A run down of the list of Olympic shooting sports
50m Rifle 3 Positions (Men/Women)
10m Air Rifle (Men/Women)
25m Rapid Fire Pistol (Men)
25m Pistol (Women)
10m Air Pistol (Men/Women)
Trap (Men/Women)
Skeet (Men/Women)
10m Air Rifle Mixed Team
10m Air Pistol Mixed Team
Trap Mixed Team

Do they still do the skiing & shooting in the winter games??

When I was young, professionals (paid) were not allowed to compete in the Olympics.

They changed that, didn't they??

Along with adding a morass of minutae to the rules, and of course, politics....

I still hold a high degree of respect for Olympic competitors (those who DO NOT use their position to promote any political viewpoint) but respect for the Olympic Committee?, ..not so much...

Jerry would do just fine against any Olympic shooter should he desire to compete. He is the ultimate professional and does whatever it takes to be #1 in his venues. I've seen him shoot at 90% and skate to win the International Revolver Championships and I've seen him put on the afterburners when someone comes close nudging them out of top spot.

I suppose its possible the younger Olympic shooters might have bodies/eyes with sharper tools.
Perhaps (not "for sure") the Olympic shooters MAY have a 1/32 inch accuracy advantage at 10 yds,I don't know. Slow fire.

But that Old Man shoots fast at the same time.

Tune the game up a bit. Adjust the target size up to that of a vital organ,and the time to draw and deliver the shot string to 2 seconds or so.

As for myself, I can't help but give All of them, Olympic shooters AND Jerry, top respect for their achievements...

HiBC,
Take a look at 25M rapid fire pistol competitions on youtube. Its fast and precise! I've tried it and, even after a ton of training I was still barely a novice. the Olympic level shooters are simply a amazing

It would be interesting to see Jerry or other accomplished run n gun shooter set up on the 25 metre or 50 yard bullseye line.

My opinion. While Jerry Miculek is good at what he does, no, he's not an Olympic level shooter. While the basic fundamentals of pistol shooting are the same across all disciplines, Miculek wouldn't stand a chance at an Olympic trial, let alone the actual Olympics. Now could he do it after years of serious training? Quite possibly. But he couldn't walk up to the line and beat the best.

It would be interesting to see Jerry or other accomplished run n gun shooter set up on the 25 metre or 50 yard bullseye line.

Wasn’t it Jerry that had the 200 yard shot on a 12” steel plate with a revolver? That would equate to a 3” target at 50 yards. Plus at 200 there was wind age and elevation to account for.

I always though that the Biathlon should be done using a center-fire round like when it was first done in the Nordic games. There are just too many variables in .22lr rim-fire rounds. Even if they went to .17 or .22 mag rim-fire the accuracy would be greatly improved.

Tony

I can easily see Jerry winning Gold in the Rapid Fire Event. He's got the speed and accuracy down now with centerfire guns and would make shooting it with a .22 that much easier.

I always though that the Biathlon should be done using a center-fire round like when it was first done in the Nordic games. There are just too many variables in .22lr rim-fire rounds. Even if they went to .17 or .22 mag rim-fire the accuracy would be greatly improved.

Tony
The seem to have replaced actual pistols in the Modern Pentathlon with Laser marker pistols as well.

Do they still do the skiing & shooting in the winter games??

When I was young, professionals (paid) were not allowed to compete in the Olympics.

They changed that, didn't they??

Along with adding a morass of minutae to the rules, and of course, politics....

I still hold a high degree of respect for Olympic competitors (those who DO NOT use their position to promote any political viewpoint) but respect for the Olympic Committee?, ..not so much...

Yes, they still do the Biathalon :
https://olympics.com/ioc/international-biathlon-union

I do not know how Jerry would do in the 10mm Air pistol/Rifle events. I doubt that his type of training that he focus's on,(no pun intended) would benefit him. It is a sport that requires a whole lot of discipline and unique skills not to mention hours of shooting sport specific training/Practice.

natman said:
Yes, they still do biathlon.

The shame is that US media decided it wouldn't be worth televising last time around. I'd like to have seen it. If I remember correctly, they cycle before that, it was played in the small hours of the morning, but at least it was played here.

Miculek seems to be an easy fellow to like, partly because he appears to enjoy what he does. His instructions on how to shoot are easier to take just because he doesn't wrap himself in a "tactical" character. HRFunk is a youtuber to whom I have a similar reaction. I've seen Miculek perform some accuracy tricks, but it's speed that makes him known to us.

I don't see having an auto-sear for an index finger as especially helpful in a lot of disciplines, and it's likely that lot of guys under 30 have better eyes than he does now.

zukiphile said:
The shame is that US media decided it wouldn't be worth televising last time around. I'd like to have seen it. If I remember correctly, they cycle before that, it was played in the small hours of the morning, but at least it was played here.

I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, certainly not the last), but I thought the biathlon events are in the Winter Olympics. Haven't been a big fan of the Olympics since 2000. So, I'm out of touch with everything that has changed.

My simplistic take is, if Miculek was provided a couple of years to practice on specific events, he would give Olympians a run for their money.

My money is on Jerry and his Barrett or Tubbs in the 1 mile vs the Olympic biathlon’ers and their Anchutz. :D

(as in Jerry and the Oly’s are totally different competitors)

Back