Jerky Recipes?

I recall having a problem with condensation ,as in pulling a plastic jar out of the freezer,opening it,and then returning it to the freezer.Do that a few times,you build up some frost.

Then,if you should decide to just pull the jar out,say for a hunt or road trip,you have a jar full of wet jerky.
Not something I will need to learn twice

Mine is simple.

Marinate in 50/50 mix of Italian dressing and A1 sauce for at least 24 hours. Maybe add a little liquid smoke.

Jerkify. Done.

Hey Frankenmauser, are you drying with the oven set on low, or is it the top burners, explain this contraption..:confused: I really dig this kinda "do it yourself" stuff.... see if it's real good, and real easy, I'll have my kids doing it for me, so as to not loose valuable loading and testing time,,,, and fishing time,,,, and beer drinking time.:rolleyes:

Hey Frankenmauser, are you drying with the oven set on low, or is it the top burners, explain this contraption.

I don't use heat. I have the fan sitting on the stove because I can lay it flat, but still have generous air flow (it's a 5-burner gas stove with a two-piece grill that covers the whole stove). I could accomplish the same thing by setting it on top of some upturned glasses or a couple 2x4s on edge, but the stove is easier. ;)

As for the 'contraption'...
It's just the prepared meat strips placed in the folds of clean furnace filters, strapped to a box fan. If I run the same meat in the furnace filters and a standard dehydrator (set to 105 degrees) at the same time, the fan and filters method only takes about an hour longer. However... it never warms up. So, I can package as soon as the jerky is done, without the rest time required with heated setups.

If I planned to reuse those filters for drying meat, I would have bought 20x20s to fit the fan better. But, I buy filters that fit my furnace. When I need to make more jerky, I'll buy new filters. ;)

DEER JERKY RECIPE:

garlic salt or garlic
steak seasoning (flakes)
soy or teriyaki sauce
lawry's seasoning salt
curing salt (quick)
celery salt
pepperoncini juice
mustard seed
Lemon pepper and a little juice
Water

I prepped a couple batches of jerky today, and I actually had to come back to this thread for the last version of one of my recipes. :rolleyes:

I figured I'd post an update.

After the last batch of jerky was finished, I bagged everything and refrigerated it for a longer shelf life. It gave me a chance to see how well these recipes age.

I don't recommend the "Crazy Cajun Limon" recipe, unless it will be consumed within a couple weeks. It does not age well, and loses taste after 4-5 weeks (even refrigerated).

The Creole recipe also doesn't age well, as it gets incredibly crispy after a couple weeks. Perhaps with more of one of the hygroscopic ingredients (Honey/Corn Syrup/Brown Sugar), it would retain more moisture. But, the current recipe is definitely not one to use for storage.

Both taste good, when fresh. They just aren't a good choice for any kind of storage.

My "Plains Game" and burger recipes, however, are still great after being slowly eaten from the refrigerator for the last 5 months.

On a separate note....
My wife wants me to come up with a recipe for Taco-flavored jerky. :eek:

Thanks for the update....and starting this thread.

Have enjoyed a few of these recipe's over the summer and will continue the same for a long time.

I marinade in2 parts DR Pepper and 1 part bottle of sliced jalapenios (liquid and all) then smoke it over apple wood.

I use ground meat and a cabelas "jerky gun".
Favorite I've tried so far is to use Hi mountain "bourbon bbq" cure and seasoning, and then after I make the strips I coat them with Cajun Heritage "Cajun Blast" season rub before curing them in the oven.
I got both items at Gander Mountain but I'm sure you could find them other places.

Why did I look at this thread while I was hungry and when there is not a piece of venison left in the freezer...........and our season is a month off???

Printed a couple of them.......man are you guys good!!!!

My grandson is the meat manager/cutter for a local grocery store when they put either top or bottom round on sale I have him pick a piece of meat that looks lean enough he slices it and the I use Hi-Mountain jerky rubs, I like the original but others are good also. I smoke them in my Traeger grill.
http://www.himtnjerky.com/

I did a whole pork loin into jerky over the Labor Day weekend and froze it in vacuum sealed pouches. My wife has been snacking on it so much that it is almost gone.

Here is one benefit to using pork loin (other than the significant cost savings) - I took the trimmings (fat, marbled meat, and odd-shaped lean pieces that weren't big enough for jerky) and ground them up into sausage. I got 16 nice breakfast sausage patties out of the waste.

Shameless bump.

I recently made some Elk jerky with my "Plains Game" recipe, and figured it was an appropriate time to bring this back up for some new additions from members.

Mine is pretty simple:
Cut in thin strips
Salt
Course Ground Black Pepper
A little Chile powder
Dry
Smoke over Mesquite and or Oak wood.

Very interesting thread gentlemen. Keep the recipes coming. My only comments at this point in the thread is that real smoke wins handsdown over artificial processed smoke products anytime. And creating and building all of your own seasoning rubs, marinades, brines, etc. yourself are huge also over buying premade sauces and seasoning blends. But jerky is a simple food and having fun with it is great and I fully support that but also I support the observance of the simplicity of it also.
Burn on fellas.

Back