Jeremiah Wright is a USMC veteran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta686

I think I first heard it on NPR but it came as a bit of a shock to me that THE Jeremiah Wright is actually a Marine Corps & Navy veteran. Here's the wikipedia write-up on him:

From 1959 to 1961, Wright attended Virginia Union University,[1] in Richmond. Inspired by President John F. Kennedy's 1961 challenge to "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," Wright gave up his student deferment, left college and joined the United States Marine Corps and became part of the 2nd Marine Division with the rank of private first class. In 1963, after two years of service, Wright then transferred to the United States Navy and entered the Corpsman School at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, where he graduated as valedictorian.[9] Having excelled in corpsman school, Wright was then trained as a cardiopulmonary technician at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland where he graduated as salutatorian.[9] Wright was assigned as part of the medical team charged with care of President Lyndon B. Johnson (see photo of Wright caring for Johnson after his 1966 surgery). Before leaving the position in 1967, the White House awarded Wright three letters of commendation.

Though I may disagree with the man on most everything, I find a new respect for him and view him much differently, than being just another Jessie Jackson/Al Sharpton. Especially given that he voluntered to give up his deferment to join the Marines and serve when he didn't have to (when Dick Cheney got 5 deferments and "had other priorities" than the military).

I know I'm VERY guilty of jumping to conclusions about the man and I think many of us are in the same boat as me. I'm much more interested in understanding what he has to say and what made him say what he did.

I do a lot of free work for veterans, have many of them as clients individually, work with many of them, and represent some veteran's organisations. I have ample respect for the act of coming when called or volunteering to serve.

That noted, I hear at least as many bad ideas from guys who served as those who didn't.

Wright's words weren't stupid because we thought he didn't serve. His anger is stupid all by itself. I feel no obligation to provide him an extra measure of undeserved tolerance for having served.

Serving in the Marine Corps does nothing to improve the image of a racist and anti-semite.

Lee Harvey Oswald served in the Marines also. Do you think better of him because of it?

This sudden love-fest some people seem to be developing for racists and anti-semites is very troubling.

Not a "love fest" by any means.

I'm the first one to fell you that us veterans aren't the heroes everyone seems to want us to be (especially those who never got around to serving, yet wear their lapel pins & have their "Support the Troops" stickers and talk all about patriotism). War is just Joes doing their jobs trying not to get shot.

And yes, Joe is often full of stupid ideas and thinks stupid things and often acts on them (Article 15s aren't exactly rare), especially given the socio-economic background many of our troops come from (another great reason for a draft).

All I'm saying is at least the man has the courage to put his money where is mouth is. And that I was guilty of forming an opinion about him without bothering try to understand where he was coming from.

Doesn't make his words any more or less silly, offensive or what not.

During the Vietnam era, the draft didn't care what your political views were. All it cared about was whether or not a person was able to meet some fairly minimal requirements.

All I'm saying is at least the man has the courage to put his money where is mouth is.

If he really had that he would be blowing up post offices and flying airplanes into buildings.

He does have the courage to make a very nice living at rallies disguised as church services.

Jeremiah is not only a patriot but a man who see things as they are for the African American community. Just because he might say some things a little bluntly does not make them less true. Blacks have a completely different view of American and unfortunately little of it is positive. We all know the record on civil rights abuses against minorities in this country. Heck if I was black I would also be pretty angry at the social injustices my fellow people have suffered. I fully understand where he is coming from, and we need more people like Jeremiah in this country who will stand up and make their voice heard.

Blacks have a completely different view of American and unfortunately little of it is positive.
Which blacks? Some of them, all of them, are you entitled to speak for all of them? How about the ones who migrated here? Are you grouping all blacks into one racial group?

I'm sure glad whites weren't involved in ending slavery, or getting the vote for all adults, or in recognizing civil rights for all. Just think where we would be if whites had actually participated in these.

Excuse me now, while I :barf::barf::barf:

We already have Farakkkhan also. And Achmedinijihad. And Hitler

I fail to see your point. Hitler and Achmedinijad are leaders of countries. Jeremiah and Farakkhan are religious figures in the black community. So you are equating black leaders in American to Hitler. Nice. No wonder why we have so many race issues in this country.

During the Vietnam era, the draft didn't care what your political views were. All it cared about was whether or not a person was able to meet some fairly minimal requirements.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I see the above quote often about the Vietnam war and our public schools have did a poor job in that area among many, if time read some stats below.

No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. It was misreported then, and it is misremembered now. Rarely have so many people been so wrong about so much. Never have the consequences of their misunderstanding been so tragic." [Nixon]

The Vietnam War has been the subject of thousands of newspaper and magazine articles, hundreds of books, and scores of movies and television documentaries. The great majority of these efforts have erroneously portrayed many myths about the Vietnam War as being facts. [Nixon]

Myth: Most American soldiers were addicted to drugs, guilt-ridden about their role in the war, and deliberately used cruel and inhumane tactics.

The facts are:

91% of Vietnam Veterans say they are glad they served [Westmoreland]

74% said they would serve again even knowing the outcome [Westmoreland]

There is no difference in drug usage between Vietnam Veterans and non veterans of the same age group (from a Veterans Administration study) [Westmoreland]

Isolated atrocities committed by American soldiers produced torrents of outrage from antiwar critics and the news media while Communist atrocities were so common that they received hardly any attention at all. The United States sought to minimize and prevent attacks on civilians while North Vietnam made attacks on civilians a centerpiece of its strategy. Americans who deliberately killed civilians received prison sentences while Communists who did so received commendations. From 1957 to 1973, the National Liberation Front assassinated 36,725 South Vietnamese and abducted another 58,499. The death squads focused on leaders at the village level and on anyone who improved the lives of the peasants such as medical personnel, social workers, and schoolteachers. [Nixon] Atrocities - every war has atrocities. War is brutal and not fair. Innocent people get killed.

Vietnam Veterans are less likely to be in prison - only 1/2 of one percent of Vietnam Veterans have been jailed for crimes. [Westmoreland]

97% were discharged under honorable conditions; the same percentage of honorable discharges as ten years prior to Vietnam [Westmoreland]

85% of Vietnam Veterans made a successful transition to civilian life. [McCaffrey]

Vietnam veterans' personal income exceeds that of our non-veteran age group by more than 18 percent. [McCaffrey]

Vietnam veterans have a lower unemployment rate than our non-vet age group. [McCaffrey]

87% of the American people hold Vietnam Vets in high esteem. [McCaffrey]

Myth: Most Vietnam veterans were drafted.

2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. [Westmoreland] Approximately 70% of those killed were volunteers. [McCaffrey]

Myth: The media have reported that suicides among Vietnam veterans range from 50,000 to 100,000 - 6 to 11 times the non-Vietnam veteran population.

Mortality studies show that 9,000 is a better estimate. "The CDC Vietnam Experience Study Mortality Assessment showed that during the first 5 years after discharge, deaths from suicide were 1.7 times more likely among Vietnam veterans than non-Vietnam veterans. After that initial post-service period, Vietnam veterans were no more likely to die from suicide than non-Vietnam veterans. In fact, after the 5-year post-service period, the rate of suicides is less in the Vietnam veterans' group." [Houk]

Myth: A disproportionate number of blacks were killed in the Vietnam War.

86% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasians, 12.5% were black, 1.2% were other races. (CACF and Westmoreland)

Sociologists Charles C. Moskos and John Sibley Butler, in their recently published book "All That We Can Be," said they analyzed the claim that blacks were used like cannon fodder during Vietnam "and can report definitely that this charge is untrue. Black fatalities amounted to 12 percent of all Americans killed in Southeast Asia - a figure proportional to the number of blacks in the U.S. population at the time and slightly lower than the proportion of blacks in the Army at the close of the war." [All That We Can Be]

Myth: The war was fought largely by the poor and uneducated.

Servicemen who went to Vietnam from well-to-do areas had a slightly elevated risk of dying because they were more likely to be pilots or infantry officers.

Vietnam Veterans were the best educated forces our nation had ever sent into combat. 79% had a high school education or better. [McCaffrey]

Here are statistics from the Combat Area Casualty File (CACF) as of November 1993. The CACF is the basis for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall):

Average age of 58,148 killed in Vietnam was 23.11 years. (Although 58,169 names are in the Nov. 93 database, only 58,148 have both event date and birth date. Event date is used instead of declared dead date for some of those who were listed as missing in action) [CACF]

If he really had that he would be blowing up post offices and flying airplanes into buildings.

WTF?

Maybe if he were a "real Christian" he'd actually be out stoning people for minor offenses and other silly things the that Bible call for. Is that what your talking about? :rolleyes:

Your certainly right, but Wright gave up his deferment and volunteered to serve, rather than defend Houston from seagulls in a F-104 or get 2 DWIs back in Wyoming while handling "other priorities"?

Jeremiah is not only a patriot but a man who see things as they are for the African American community. Just because he might say some things a little bluntly does not make them less true. Blacks have a completely different view of American and unfortunately little of it is positive. We all know the record on civil rights abuses against minorities in this country. Heck if I was black I would also be pretty angry at the social injustices my fellow people have suffered. I fully understand where he is coming from, and we need more people like Jeremiah in this country who will stand up and make their voice heard.

Where in New England did you get your deep understanding of the black community?

Anyhow, under his leadership the black community will have the same problems 1000 years from now. Seems to be pretty standard for all Americans to blame their problems on somebody, anybody but themselves.

But, it works for his bank account.

'm sure glad whites weren't involved in ending slavery, or getting the vote for all adults, or in recognizing civil rights for all. Just think where we would be if whites had actually participated in these.

While you are puking, I will address your concerns. While Slavery was ended many years ago the move to ban slavery was not done to make blacks equal in our society. Many abolishinst where firm believers that blacks where not equal to whites. Many of the staunchest abolishinst never believed blacks where equal to whites. Quite the contrary. Many held very racist views on blacks. That is why there was never a national push to help freed blacks advance in American society. Black languished for decades after the civil war as indentured servants on land they did not own. They could not vote, own guns, or even mass in large groups. Things did not get better for blacks in this country until the 1950s. Even after the civil rights movement in the 1960s there is still a lot of social inequality in this country. Racism and bigotry are as prevalent in this country as they where forty years ago, it just has become less open. The Inequality is what Jeremiah is addressing in his speeches. Unfortunately the media has only played clips some of his more radical statements, with bothering even countering them with his more profound statements. You see if you watch Fox news you only are getting half the story.

Where in New England did you get your deep understanding of the black community?
Instead of addressing the message, you attack the messenger.
Lets see...some of my best friends are black and Hispanic. I grew up in a tough neighborhood in Worcester Mass. Now I live elsewhere. In addition I went to a diverse college in a major city.

Anyhow, under his leadership the black community will have the same problems 1000 years from now. Seems to be pretty standard for all Americans to blame their problems on somebody, anybody but themselves.

Let me guess you blame the liberals for the world problems. Blaming others is a natural human act. It might not be right but it is what groups of people have done throughout history especially when their situation is beyond their ability to fix it. Still it does not diminish the fact that minorities in this country have a legitimate complaint about intolerance in American society. Have things gotten better for minorities, no doubt but their is still a long way to go before their is equality.

The Inequality is what Jeremiah is addressing in his speeches.

A fellow who tells his flock that the government invented AIDS to poison people of colour has a screw loose, or is terribly cynical about exploiting the credulous.

Jeremiah Wright, is a anti-American, racist, anti Semitic bigot.
He is a seditionist and a rabble rouser.

He may have once served with honor, but so did Benedict Arnold.

This man and those like him spout as much hate as the KKK and the Skinhead movement. Where men like Ghandi and King brought Civil rights change with peace and dignity.
People like Wright, Sharpton, and Jackson do their best to keep racial hatred alive to protect their dubious celebrity. Without hatred they would be nothing and they couldn't stand that.

+1

Where men like Ghandi and King brought Civil rights change with peace and dignity.
People like Wright, Sharpton, and Jackson do their best to keep racial hatred alive to protect their dubious celebrity. Without hatred they would be nothing and they couldn't stand that.

Serving in the Marine Corps does nothing to improve the image of a racist and anti-semite.

Lee Harvey Oswald served in the Marines also. Do you think better of him because of it?

This sudden love-fest some people seem to be developing for racists and anti-semites is very troubling.

you know I would have thought, he would have known he was being set up. Maybe he wasn't a good Marine?:eek:

I respect anyone, who served this country. as for Jeremiah Wright, I don't agree with everything he sayes, But I agree he has a right to say it. Freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back