JC Higgins

Well, made is a little bit of a stretch IMO. They were High Standard barrels screwed into FN actions for the model 50s, and into HVA actions for the model 51s. I don't buy "collectors" so I have always kept an eye out for the JC Higgins rifles from the early '50s. Curious that they used chrome lined barrels for them what with the general consensus that they are not as accurate as cromo barrels. Mine have all been "accurate enough" albeit a little bit picky to loads. Easy Squeezy to clean though.

Curious that they used chrome lined barrels for them what with the general consensus that they are not as accurate as cromo barrels.

Yet another example of how the "general consensus" is often wrong. There may well be some military rifles where the chrome lined barrels are less accurate than chrome moly barrels, but the Model 50 proves that a well made chrome lined barrel can be extremely accurate. Mine shoot very well indeed for a sporter; sub MOA with factory ammo is routine.

I have been looking for that exact gun for 2 years now, seems everyone I have found has been over priced (600+) or in 270. I am looking for one in -06 and the price you paid is great. Congrats on a fine gun.

Thanks for the good words and I apologize for not adding a photo. I've decided NOT to rebarrel the rifle. I like uncommon calibers and the thought of a 30-06 or 308 doesn't appeal to me but I'll give it a shot.

However, the stock is NOT in great condition and there is a crack in the wrist so I will try to find a new stock....any ideas? Maybe would be cool with a Bell & Carlson?

Nun

However, the stock is NOT in great condition and there is a crack in the wrist so I will try to find a new stock....any ideas? Maybe would be cool with a Bell & Carlson?

Let me repeat the warning that if you restock the rifle the original trigger probably won't work properly. It's simple to replace it with a one piece trigger like a Timney though.

Let me repeat the warning that if you restock the rifle the original trigger probably won't work properly.

Absolutely...I looked at that trigger when I pulled the stock and thought Hell No! Probably going to install a Winchester type safety as well....those things aren't cheap.

Nun

Finished

Well, let me first say Thank You for all the replies here. I know I said I was not going to rebarrel the rifle, but I let an itch for something different get the best of me.

So, here is a bad, but only, photo I have of the ole girl now. She is sporting a 24" #4 Douglas barrel in 6.5x55, a Timney trigger, Dakota three position safety, Bell & Carlson aluminum bedded stock and a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-III and bases.

I'm sure I have way too much money in her now, but damn this is the best shooting rifle I've ever had.

Hope you enjoy the picture and disregard the empty beverage bottle....

Last edited:
They were High Standard barrels screwed into FN actions for the model 50s, and into HVA actions for the model 51s

Sears' number scheme is a bit confusing. The J.C. Higgins 50 and 51 both use FN actions. The difference is a checkered stock with cheekpiece on the 51.

The 51L used a Husqvarna action.

I will second, or is it third the warning about the M50 trigger. I have five of the M50's all but one planned on being made into customs, mostly because some one messed with the stock. One is completely original and can be called almost mint. It's a 30-06. One has been made into a custom 7x57 Mauser and it's a tack driver. It was originally a .270 Win. with a buggered stock that was cut down to fit some smack very short armed person. I'd have left it be but some of the very early M50's have the notch for the rear sight cut right in the middle of the chamber area. :eek: Never hear of one blowing up but my copy of the instructions for the gun show the sight in that position. What were they thinking?
FWIW, I have replaced the triggers in my rifles with Timneys. I feel much better due to that change. One one my rifles was given to my by a friend shortly prior to his death from stomach cancer. Have a nice stock that was broken in a fall. Replaced it with a rather beat up stock from a commercial FN Deluxe and finally set it in a Butler Creek synthetic that I filled with commercial insulating foam and did some glass bedding work. Average groups are around .80" with hand loads. Ain't purty but she shoots.
Dunno if you can still google up the owners manual for the M50 but that's how I got mine.
Paul B.

Back