JB bore cleaning compound

If metal is removed, that hole in the barrel is bigger in diameter.
1. There is no doubt that metal being removed. It's visible on the patches.

2. It is absolutely true that the barrel dimensions will be altered with each pass using JB Bore Paste. I doubt the means to measure barrel dimensions to the accuracy required to note the metal loss from a few passes even exists. Maybe with several hundred passes there are some specialized methods that would work.
You stated about 22 patches of which abut 1/3 were JB bore past meaning approximately 66 patches.
He said about 200 patches with about 1/3 (say 66) using JB Bore Paste and 10 strokes each with those patches. That's somewhere between 600 and 700 passes.

You mentioned that you sometimes used 1 patch of JB Bore Paste with 5-10 passes during a cleaning if you noticed stubborn fouling.

Let's say that a typical cleaning with JB Bore Paste is 2 patches with 10 strokes each for a total of 20 strokes. The OP has done the equivalent of 20-30 such cleanings.

I wouldn't worry about it until the Op's shot it

(Probably no worse than a Tubb's final Finish/5-grit session --
which I've always found helpful in a rough or unlapped bore)

Ya, unfortunately i did about 50 patches, 10 strokes each as it says on the jar, when they said use sparingly, i stupidly thought that meant don't put too much on the patch. And I also was thinking that the black on the patch was carbon from burnt powder, so I admit again, I screwed up and will never do that again.
Like someone said, it must have been a total of 500 to 600 total JB strokes.
If I remember, I will post on here whenever I take that gun out of the safe and shoot it again, and report on the damage.
Thanks everyone

Ya, unfortunately i did about 50 patches, 10 strokes each as it says on the jar, when they said use sparingly, i stupidly thought that meant don't put too much on the patch. And I also was thinking that the black on the patch was carbon from burnt powder, so I admit again, I screwed up and will never do that again.
If I remember, I will post on here whenever I take that gun out of the safe and shoot it again, and report on the damage.
Thanks everyone
I think you are unnecessarily freaking out. I'm not metallurgy expert--I can say with certainty that if you are pulling patches out with heavy black gunk you are removing residue from your bore and grooves. Is some of this removing steel as well? Maybe, but to say it's removing more steel than super-heated gases and metal objects being compressed into the bore and grooves at high pressures every time you pull the trigger--umm, I seriously seriously doubt it.

I think you are unnecessarily freaking out. I'm not metallurgy expert--I can say with certainty that if you are pulling patches out with heavy black gunk you are removing residue from your bore and grooves. Is some of this removing steel as well? Maybe, but to say it's removing more steel than super-heated gases and metal objects being compressed into the bore and grooves at high pressures every time you pull the trigger--umm, I seriously seriously doubt it.

Metals, exposes to air, form a protective layer. Aluminum more than Stainless, Stainless more than Carbon Steel.

In most cases, the heavy chunky stuff, yes, is carbon, but there is not a lot of that in a bore of a rifle in the first place. When it is just uniformly black, that is iron oxide. Cleaning solvents neutralize and remove the oxidized layer. That does tend to smooth out the bore and was why, a long time ago, some barrels did improve with a break in procedure by effectively increasing slightly the bore diameter. When a bore gets properly fouled, the copper layer coats/fills in and "protects" the steel from erosion and oxidation in the majority of the bore, just not the first 1/2" or so where the copper does not get deposited, and instead quenched carbon does, but that does not protect the leade and lands.

Thanks everyone
It won't be "damage" as much as just reduced barrel life. Might it have been equivalent to 100 rounds, 10 rounds, 1000 rounds. No one will be able to tell you exactly. Lesson learned, don't sweat it now. :)

Back