Japanese type 26 holster vs French Lebel 73 or 1892 holster - which is it?

Winchester_73

Recently I bought this holster and I thought I did great until a friend of mine pointed out it might be French (I bought it as a type 26 even though the seller may no specific claims). After looking on the net, I see that mine does on have the outer slot for the cleaning rod, but did all type 26 holsters have that? If its actually for a lebel, which one is it for? And why do these lebel 1892 clamshell holsters look so much like a Jap type 26 holster? Did the same factory make holsters for both revolvers for export? Any help is appreciated.

jap26holster1.jpg

jap26holster3.jpg

jap26holster2.jpg

jap26holster5.jpg

In the late 19th century the Japanese Army was being heavily influenced by the French military, both in armaments and in theory and tactics.

The Japanese adopted the Hotchkiss machine gun design wholesale (and changed it just enough to make it worse), and also French theories on use of the machine gun. Those served them very well in the Russo-Japanese war.

IIRC the Type 26 was heavily influenced by contemporary French handgun design. I believe that the lockwork is heavily influenced by French designs, as is the hinged sideplate.

The breaktop, of course, was influenced by the Smith & Wesson revolvers the Japanese purchased in the 1870s through the 1890s.

I'm fairly certain that yours is, in fact, Japanese, as the French, to my knowledge, never adopted a true clamshell type cover; theirs was more flap.

The French issued a clamshell type holster for the M1892 Ordnance Revolver, and IIRC a similar holster for the Modele 1873. The former is nearly identical to the Japanese holster for the Type 26. The French holster has no pocket for a cleaning rod and its cartridge pouch has three large loops (apparently for some sort of "speed loader" that I have never seen).

The Japanese holster has a cleaning rod pocket and a nearly identical pouch, but has loops inside for 18 rounds in three rows. The top inside row holds 8 rounds, the bottom inside row holds six and the outside row (sewed to the inside of the outer wall of the pouch) holds four.

As to the similarity, I suspect the Japanese liked the French type and copied it, as they copied many western ideas at the time.

The holster shown is not a Japanese Type 26 holster; it might be a reproduction. The color is wrong; all the French and Japanese holsters I have seen were brown.

I notice a bulge in the inside wall of that holster about 2" from the tip, about where the button of an ejector rod would fit. Neither the Type 26 nor the Modele 92 has such a device but the French M 1873 does. Check the diameter of the cartridge loops, if 11mm (about .45 size) you probably have a holster for a French Modele 1873.

Jim

The color is wrong; all the French and Japanese holsters I have seen were brown.

It is actually brown. The photos have different lighting/camera settings. the holster is simply a dark brown. I will have to check to see if fits 45 acp or not. Is it just the color that made you say reproduction or was it something else?

Interesting. I have never seen a French clam shell holster that looks like the Japanese Type 96 holster.

But, I found one on this page:

http://www.oldrifles.com/french-pistols.htm

Every French revolver holster I've ever seen looks like the one in picture beneath the clam shell -- a flap holster with the same general shape as the clam shell.

I have both the French Model 1892 holster and the Japanese Type 26 holster and they are identical in color and appear identical from the outside except for the cleaning rod pocket on the Japanese and some differences in the metal strap loops.

I am not sure of the price of a French Model 1873 holster and am not even positive that is what that one is, but it is not a French Model 1892 holster and is not Japanese. The only way I know to be even half sure is to get hold of a Mle, 1873 and try it. The key should be that "bump".

Jim

It sure looks like a Japanese holster to me. As far as imprints in the leather, any handgun (Japanese or otherwise) could have been stored in it at sometime over the years.

Whats the writing inside the flap say? It doesnt look like kanji....

Pretty observant there ;). It appears to be a name, Rothier or Rottier but I originally dismissed that as perhaps the soldier who captured the type 26 wrote his name in it as many other GIs did.

I meant type 26. Fat fingered it.

Rothier could have been the maker. French holsters were normally stamped with the maker's mark inside the flap.

I wonder what its worth if its a 1873 MAS revolver holster.

The story behind the acquisition is kind of funny. I found it on an auction site and the seller basically said some people told him it was a French revolver holster while others said it was a type 26 holster. When I checked it against type 26 holsters, it checked out. I then assumed that there was no way that they could look this similiar, so it had to be for a type 26 and so I then paid a fair bit for it and was happy to have gotten it. Now I'm more intrigued than anything. I'm glad that even if it is in fact a French holster, that its from the same era and was very possibly used in WWI. Just goes to show, check on everything prior to purchase.

Rothier could have been the maker. French holsters were normally stamped with the maker's mark inside the flap.

I also see what looks like "146th" below the name. Name of poileau and his unit

It's French. For 1892 Lebel. And never appears to have been dropped in fear :p

WildcoolleatherAlaska ™©2002-2010

The French holster has no pocket for a cleaning rod and its cartridge pouch has three large loops (apparently for some sort of "speed loader" that I have never seen).

Mine does not have the large loops, it has loops for individual bullets.

So what makes you say its for the 1892?

Interestingly enough, one identical to the one you posted closed on eBay this morning for $178.00 It was sold as a Type 26 holster, but if it isn't the buyer is going to be mighty irritated. (Check out auction # 230558433189 for seven good photos.)

Judging by the finger, those loops are bigger than they would be for the 9mm cartridge, which is the same diameter as the .38 S&W.

Jim

Buzzcook,

If that holster had the compartment opened, you would most likely see that it differs from mine as Mr. Keenan pointed out. I'm thinking that its a French 1873 MAS holster, but I've been wrong about holsters before :p

Back