James Bond Needs a 1911-A1

Try Watching “The World is Not Enough”.

I recall when that came out. Some of the 1911 folks lost their mind that Bond was using their gun...finally.

The proper modern Bond pistol would be a Walther PPS.

A 1911A1 makes no sense. He’s a spy, and his pistol should be small and easily concealed.

You pick the right tool for the job and there is no one right tool for the profession. Being a "spy" does not mean that your weapon has to be small or concealable. A particular operation might call for that, but not all operations.

Wild Bill Donovan was a fan of the integrally suppressed High Standard .22 which was not a small weapon or particularly concealable.

The Welrod was used by the OSS as well, and also by British operatives. Definitely not small and concealable.

When you think about it, a lot of spies don't even use weapons. They are nothing more than information thieves. They operate in plain sight and don't engage in battles.

Of course there were deer guns, glove guns, pen guns, lipstick guns, etc. that were more easily concealed.

I’m not sure a 5” steel 1911 in 45 ACP makes a lot of sense for Bond’s character, especially as he is often not in America and my impression is 45 ACP isn’t as popular overseas as it is here (and sourcing ammunition might be a concern).

If you saw the movie, you would see that he used several weapons. Most of the weapons provided to him in the movies were single use gadgets anyway, like cigarette missiles, laser watches, etc.

In the movies, he used a lot of different guns, either that were on his person or in the vehicles he was in...
https://www.thejamesbonddossier.com...nd featuring in the,a .308 ... 10 more rows
https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_firearms

The Walther .380 in the James Bond film would have been a PPK, not a "PPK/S". The PPK/S was an abomination of with a PPK slide and a PP receiver that circumvented the Gun Control Act of 1968's import size restrictions.

No, not any miniature ones. Imagine in the movie, big James Bond pull out a pee shooter?!!! It just doesn't look right.

The one spook I know carried a brace of Charter Arms bulldogs when "in country" They were cheap easily carried without a holster and could be easy dumped if need be.

He even used a Smith and Wesson Model 29 in "Live and Let Die."

s-l300.jpg

That was during the Dirty Harry craze for the 44. Everyone had to have one.

I don’t believe most intelligence officers carry weapons while engaged in tradecraft.
That’s just another question to have to address if stopped and questioned.

There are parties that do wet work where guns are essential, but that’s a very small percentage in most services.

the Bond of the books and the Bond of the last couple decades movies are rather different characters.

The original was a "double 0" agent which meant he was a secret agent with a "license to kill" which meant that if he had to kill or create mayhem in the course of his mission his bosses were ok with that, he would not be charged under British law, and if caught in a "friendly" country he could count on official (behind the scenes) pressure and negotiation from his govt to get him out.

the original Bond also got his butt kicked, often, and sometimes to the point of needing significant time in the hospital. He often won a fight, but sometimes, he didn't.

The movies have turned Bond into an action hero, perhaps even a parody of an action hero, with their constant need for bigger more exciting and incredible stunts. One after another after another.

Bond could, and would use a 1911A1, but he would never have one for his EDC issue weapon.

One of the best things about being a fictional character is that it does not matter the caliber or action type of your weapon. If the script says the 25 Berretta (or 22 AR7) takes out the helicopter, it will do the job.

Back