IWB holsters

sar

This may the wrong forum for this topic but does anyone else find using an IWB holster very uncomfortable. I have a Commander size .45 and a P7 (both slim guns) and Mitch Rosen and Milt Sparks IWB holsters and nothing feels comfortable. I have almost given up and just use belt holsters now. I thought because I am of lean build that was why they feel uncomfortable - but Rosen said that lean guys should be more comfy with IWB. Any thoughts?

I use either a Rosen ARG DL or Rosen USD for my IWB holsters. Both are very comfortable to wear. Which IWB Rosen do you own? The DL has an extra loop which holds the gun more securely. I wear a full-size 1911 on my strong-side hip all day long and it's not at all uncomfortable.

Sar, depends on where you carry the weapon. I carry routinely SOB and have no problem. Now when you sit down to drive that is another story. Believe me I'm lean also.

I forgot to add that the USD also has an extra loop but it's not as large a loop as the ARG DL. Both work great for me.

For a VERY comfortable belt holster, give Lou Aless's CQC/S a try. I love mine!

Here's the CQC/S

CQCS.jpg

I have a Lou Alessi Hard Shell Talon IWB for my Para P12, and find it comfortable when clipped behind the hip - along the flat of my rump. This holster retains the gun well, stays put in position and holds shape for easy one-hand re-holstering the gun.

If you carry it on your hip, you will be uncomfortable with it, regardless of maker.

I'm sure I'd (we'd?) find it even more comfortable with pants with a 1" wider waistband.

Well.......I carry a Makarov....a Mod 10 Smith and a Mod 60 Smith in Alessi Talon Plus holsters. IWB.

I've also carried a Mod 57 (4 inch) IWB in an Alessi Hideout. And have ordered another Hideout for my 4 inch Mod 66 Smith.

I find all these to be comfortable.....

Leon

Hmmmm... What I have found...

I have given up on leather for IWB carry. Kydex is drastically thinner in my (that's MY) experience. I used some top maker IWB's that were a full 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wider than the Kydex holsters I now use.

YMMV, but you may wish to try Kydex. Sure, it's hard, but so is the pistol - even when encased in leather. Takes a while to get used to IWB carry... regardless of holster material.

Kydex can be washed in the sink with no issues, does not react to sweat... BUT - without a cloth layer between me and the holster, Kydex will promote sweat and a rash for me. Could be my sweat, but I have found that I am not the only one this happens to...

Be sure you have pants big enough to accomodate your IWB holster. I found that this makes a BIG difference for me. When I gain a little weight, I am unable to carry for extended periods of time. Once the season passes, and I am down to comfortable weight, I can handle carry all day with no probs.

Yah, it's a bugger... and the hassel will end when I am DEAD... but I will "enjoy" the hassel for as long as I can... (LOL) and CCW might help extend that time.

Good Luck - HTH...

Hmmmm, don't know what to say... it may just be an issue of personal taste or body shape.

I carry a Hi-Power in a Sparks IWB (just behind the right hip, where the front snap actually crosses the dividing line between front and back). I have carried continuously for 15 hours including a 3.5 hour highway trip without any problems more serious than a numb rear end.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you need to buy your pants a little bigger in the waist to compensate for the added girth of the holstered gun. If that isn't what is causing the discomfort then I am out of ideas.

I always thought lean guys had it easier IWB as well. A very slim buddy of mine has no problem carrying his Glock 27 IWB, while I had to opt for the Walther PPK/S, and now the Kahr P9 due to the extreme discomfort I felt IWB with a 27.

The only IWB that is comfortable (while standing) is SOB. I think a good belt-carry SOB would be even better than IWB, but A drive in the car is QUITE uncomfortable, not to mention that your piece is completely inaccessible! I had to opt for the "Uncle Mike's" because leather was WAY too uncomfortable. Nothing IWB works for me on the hip, but then, I'm not anywhere near the "lean" category :)

I also can't see me going out and buying all new pants to fit my carry gun in, that's just too expensive. I'm sure it would help some though.

I tried the "Smart Carry", and it was too obvious, but comfortable. I've just recieved "Gunslinger's BellyBand", but it's a rightie, and I'm a leftie, but it has potential.

Lastly, a relative of mine, BIG guy, HUGE!!! (6'6", 370ish) carries his Glock 19 in a leather IWB every day, with no problems. Trouble is, he can't remember where the holster came from, and there are no markings on it. He says it was custom made, where the maker actually called him, and got all sorts of dimensions from him before it was made.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

Here's what I've found. I haven't liked any of the leather holsters I've tried except for the real low on the hip cowboy style ones for my Vaquero.

I've carried an airweight chief's special IWB in an uncle mike's, it's very comfortable that way, it also draws very fast. I've tried leather one's that felt like brick in my pants and came out with the gun! DOH!

I also have a Makarov. I can carry the Mak in the same uncle mike's IWB very concealed and very comfortable.

In addition to the Uncle Mike's, I also have Fobus paddle holsters for both guns. These are great as well. Extremely light and thin with excellent retention. Very worth a try at about $20. The chiefs special in the Fobus paddle is a near perfect combo. The Mak is heavier, but still carries very well.

Hoppy

My guess is that you find that the gun still digs in on a boney part of your body since you are not blessed with the same layer of cushy protective fat that many of us are blessed with. I found all the available IWB holsters to me lacking in comfort for wear 12-14 hours per day. They would all start to dig in. I figured out what I wanted in a holster that solves that problem. The primary problem was that all the holster makers wrap one piece of leather around a gun and mold on both sides or sandwich the gun between two pieces of leather and mold both sides. To correct that would mean leaving the leather piece against the body relatively flat and lightly molded then use a larger piece to cover the outside of the gun and do all of the molding to it. This is very similar to a Roy Baker design, the I-BAK, that Tony Kanaly makes as part of the Milt Sparks line. I took the idea to many makers, but most refused to make it or found it more difficult. Mark THG at M/D Enterprises was the exception. It is called the YCS at http://www.customholsters.com Mark shows the pretty version on his web site (smooth side out) and has cut belt slots in the wings to allow it to be converted to a pancake, but mine are all made in the ugly version. Rough side out, no belt slots, as originally designed.

Mr. Roberts, are we related? I like you more and more every post.

sar - I carry a Hi-Power in a Milt Sparks SummerSpecial2 IWB Holster just behind the point of the right hip. I am 5-11, 165lbs, and it causes me little to no discomfort. On the weekends, when I'm often driving 2.5 hours to see my wife-to-be, I wear my BHP for 12 hours, even while driving.

I ask you, "Why is it uncomfortable?" If it is around the waist, I second what others have said about buying slightly larger pants. If the hammer digs into your side, try a holster with a protective backflap (like my Sparks SS2). If your rig is heavy, make sure you are using a quality belt. (And while it isn't recommended with most IWB holsters, you could try wearing your rig without the gun and see if you are still uncomfortable. It might help to isolate the problem.)

If you aren't comfortable, you'll tend not to carry your piece, and that can lead to problems. So good luck!

Some folks just never like IWB holsters. I love them (and I'm far from "lean"!). A lot depends one where you want to carry the gun, and how much cant or rake you want. I use the AKJ Concealco IWB II holsters for all my carry guns as I like the design (and the adjustable rake). So far I've used them for a Colt Combat Commander, a Colt Gov't Model .380, a Kimber Ultra CDP (current summer carry) and a S&W 627PC (current winter carry). Even the big five inch N frame is quite comfortable all day. You do need a GOOD belt for the heavier guns though. Concealco has those as well. Sparks, Alessi, and others also have nice designs and good belts, just a matter of what fits YOU. Unfortunately it can get a bit expensive finding out what is right for you if you don't get lucky on the first or second try.

A large factor to me on the comfort of IWB is the gun itself. Due mostly to the shape of my rear, I can carry a Commander comfortably while seated, but not a HP or full size 1911. The longer weapons want to rise when I sit or else dig in.

Which Sparks hoster are you using? I really like my VM2 and recommend it all my friends and not one who has bought one has complained about the comfort.

ak9,
Would any of those friends be about 5'10" and 155 lbs? That's me, and I've been considering the VM2. But it's hard to justify the price to my wife if I'm not sure it's going to work out.

Thanks

I use a Milt Sparks Executive Companion for both my Commander and P7. I think the trick will be buying larger pants.

I use a Sidearmor IWB just behind my strong hip for my G27 and after two/three weeks I just plain got used to it. Now I dont even realise I am wearing it.

It was wierd, at first it did feel very awkward to me and I didnt think it was going to work out. After a while I just experimented with different positions and got myself a nice thick gun belt and the thing is more concealable and more comfortable than most other holsters I have with the exception of my BS-2 from MD Enterprises.

I am 6'3" 215lb if that helps.

Good luck, make sure you give it a chance.

~Jason

I've had a Milt Sparks Summer Special for about 25 years, and it is still very comfortable and usable today. I routinely carry a 1911 model. Of course you may have to get your pants a size larger (like I did) to make it more comfortable.

IWB musings...

If IWB carry is uncomfortable, your pants are too tight. You need to allow your pants to be at least one size larger for comfort.

To expound what Jeff OTMG has already pointed out, if you find the holster digging into your hip bone, then this means one of two things:

1) The muzzle of your carry gun is too short for IWB carry

or

2) The holster isn't positioned properly.

Since this is a 1911 Commander, its obviously #2.

For what its worth, I carry a Glock 30 in a kydex Kytac Braveheart IWB all day long. I don't find it to be uncomfortable at all.

I would suggest moving the holster around until you find the most comfortable position for YOU.

I wear mine so that the gun rides slightly behind the second belt loop from the right. (which is right over where most jeans labels are sewn)

Experiment, and try larger pants!

Back