IWB Carry Question

i always carried 1911 round in the chamber hammer down. i tried locked and cocked but found a crap load of times the safety had been put down by movement or such . the 1911 has the grip safety but a poor or worn trigger will render that useless.

so for me it was always round in chamber hammer down. that is how we all carry modern revolvers and most other autos. i never felt less than safe.

I would love to see anybody try to use an original M1911 with the old style thumb safety cocked and locked. The ones we now call "Mill Spec" are actually later aditions. The original M1911 thumb safety from John Moses Browning's time was smaller and more difficult to use than the old WWII style thumb safeties on Browning High Powers......

JMB designed the colt pocket autos for cocked and locked. The spur hammer was put on the 1911 for cavalry soldiers so they could cock or decock the weapon before or after firing. :eek:
The old spur hammers were much bigger than the ones on modern "mil spec" .45s too. Original m1911 Hammers are very much like Smith N frame target hammers.

You'll find from reading my other posts that I'm a sure-enough, wide-eyed and wet-eared newbie to the conceal-carry world. But, these last few weeks, I've been awfully impressed with the Milt Sparks IWB leather, with the Kydex clips. I got one as a graduation gift, and I've loved it.

I'm in the same dilemma. Basically it's a matter of shooting the 1911 enough to develop confidence in John Browning's design. It's safe. But you and I aren't sure.

That's why I'll probably buy a holster like this:

forestandfield_1886_3086966

This particular one is a Desantis. I've never owned on but I've heard the name. I've never heard anything bad about them.

But notice that the leather strip on the holster blocks the firing pin from the hammer. With practice you can quickly learn to thumb off the snap strap of the holster, thumb off the safety on the 1911, and are ready to go.

I've had a thumb break holster, before. And when I carried my 1911 cocked and locked (which was rarely), I carried like in the picture.

I know you're looking for an IWB. But I'm sure somebody makes a thumb break like what you're after.

Best of luck.

If the hammer is down and a round is chambered, will it AD if something slams against the hammer accidentially.

No, it won't. The 1911 has an inertial firing pin. With the hammer completely down, the pin does not protrude from the breach face far enough to strike the primer. A full power hammer strike launches the firing pin forward overcoming the resistance of the spring and moving forward away from the hammer to hit the primer.

I would love to see anybody try to use an original M1911 with the old style thumb safety cocked and locked.

If you mean the ones with the small, square-shaped tab near the front of the the safety, I have carried one C&L. I do prefer it over the original BHP safety.

Neither is better than a modern designed slightly extended safety, though.

Condition 1

I have carried 1911 pattern sidearms for many years in a variety of positions and holsters. I always carry in condition 1 and have never had any problems.

I knew an instructor who had a beater 1911 that he'd use in class to explain the safeties, then load a mag, chamber a round, engage the thumb safety, and toss the whole works over his shoulder onto the concrete floor behind him.
Never had it fire on impact!

Try a Rocketman Low Rider holster, see http://www.rmholsters.com/

love the platform but 1911's just to darned heavy for an old man with a bad back!

Bob

I think it has been said several times, but I'll just agree that the 1911 is completely safe carried "cocked and locked" in almost any holster. If the holster is safe enough to keep the gun secure, then I believe it is safe enough for a 1911. And the 1911 is so slim, it is easy to carry even a full-sized model Inside the Pant. Good Luck.

Back