Iver Johnson .22 revolver info please?

Bob1911

I am in the process of getting a Iver Johnson .22 revolver from my father. He says the ser# is L282xx. Can anyone tell me anything about this pistol. IIRC it is an 8 shot .22LR break top revolver that he has had as long as I can remember and I am 51! Any info would be of great interest. It has been years since I have seen it but it was a worn good condition gun.

Thx,

Bob

Could be several different models. the Viking and Trailsman 66 come to mind but there were more. Not real high quality guns.

Just recieved it today!

On the left side of the barrel it says ".22 supershot sealed eight" and below right near the pivot point it has "IFJ" like a proof mark.

Any idea of value? about 50% bluing and some pitting.

Blue Book of Gun Values 28th ed.
Supershot Sealed 8, 22lr, 8 shot, break open, blue, adj. sights, checkered wood grips. Mfg. 1931-57. Value of 60% gun (lowest listed)-$120

Thank you

I appreciate all the help. I have no intention of selling it as my dad has had it longer than me. :D I just like to know what I have.

Thank you all for the help.

Bob

P.S. Is there any way to determine it's date of birth?

Last edited:
I just got a copy of Goforth's book, so I will answer on the date. According to the book, that gun was made in 1946. He says the numbers in that era are not certain, but it is the best information available. The "sealed" refers to the counter-bored chambers that recess the case heads and prevent any "blowout" from the rimfire cartridges from harming the shooter.

That practice started in an era when .22 high velocity cartridges were first being made; sometimes the case was not strong enough to hold the pressure, and the rim burst. S&W did the same on their .22 revolvers for many years.

Jim

I also just picked up a family Iver Johnsons 22, Trailsman 66 Model # K7190. Can you tell me when this one might have been made ? It was manufactured in Itchburg MA.

iver

SAM thats Fitchburg Mass. they have been out of business for many yrs.1980s???but those were good practical guns.many of use had them it was made after ww2:D:rolleyes:

sealed eight

bob1911:I have one and they are good inexpensive guns.many of use older ones grew up on iver and h&r.:D:rolleyes:

iver johnsons trailsman 66

That makes no sense, My great great uncle was a police officer during the depression. His service relvoler was an iver johnson trailsmen 66. It has to be worth more than 75.00 I'll sell the metal for more than that.

No, you are the one who makes no sense. The Iver Johnson Trailsman 66 came out in 1956. The Depression was pretty much over when WW II broke out in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

I also doubt a cop of any size jurisdiction would carry a .22 as a service pistol, but he might have been in a small town where anything in the holster would do.

Probably worth more than $75, these days. People will buy anything.

It has to be worth more than 75.00 I'll sell the metal for more than that.

Scrap is up right now but it ain't that up.:rolleyes: My ex has an Iver Johnson Trailsman 66 that was her dads but it needs a hammer and bolt. It was a pretty good shooter when it worked tho. IMHO an H&R 999 is a much better gun.

What type of ammunition does this thing take? There are so many options in 22's it makes me almost dizzy. (I normally shoot a 38 special which has about 2 options).

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it. I am looking at getting one as an inexpensive plinking gun.

Thanks!

22 pistol

any 22 as they were made after hi speed was common.they were a well made gun both H&R and IVER.I have been to the Iver plant in Fitchberg,nice people then.those guns would be a fine inexpensive gun even now.Iver ended
up in AR.:rolleyes:

Iver

Just read a book on the Robert Kennedy shooting in LA. Sirhan B Sirhan used an 8 shot Iver Johnson .22 caliber revolver. 10 bullets were fired and the other shooter was not caught.

Back