It's Saturday.... who's casting what?

You know the reasoning...I got this mould so I just have to get a gun to go with it..right ...that is logical thinking???

Definitely! That's why I got two .44 molds, and both Lee and Lyman sizing dies, even though I got no .44 - now I have a reason to buy one! :)

Just finished lubing up 390 from a Lee 452-200-RF that I cast last night from coww ingots that I smelted Mon. afternoon.

When I got home one evening last week I poured up around 5# worth of some MP 358-124's for a 9mm I haven't gotten yet. Then I figured I might as well break in my MP 360-640L which is a 125gr when using the LG HP pin, so I poured up around 2-3# worth of those. Thing is while sitting there looking at them both, I got to noticing how close the pins looked and well guess what, they interchange....:D So I pulled out the two LG HP pins from the one for the 9mm and stuck in two of my cup point pins and went to town. Then I decided since I never use the Penta pins I would chuck one up in my drill and file down the sides into a SM HP pin and that worked out so well I did all four.

So far since about Wednesday, I have poured up a combined total of around 40# worth of bullets with most of them being for the 9mm I still don't have. Not sure what the hold up is but I'm not the only one who is not happy about it. Neither are the other half dozen or so folks who ordered one from the dealer I'm using.

Oh well least I got something going and will have something ready to shoot once I DO get it.

Sunday, out back....

I didn't cast anything, just coated some. I had gotten behind on my coating.
I made a bunch of these for the H&R 30-30. This is approximately 1/4 Smoke's pink with 3/4 HF red.
5-10-15%20001_zpsgwdzabwz.jpg

and then I made a bunch of each of these too.
The ones on right are more of Smoke's SD Copper, orange/brown, and yellow/green all mixed. I just like that color.
5-10-15%20005_zpsflzuj8pu.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I cast 730 of the Lee 358-158-RF.

Today I just finished powder coating them Smoke's Signal Blue and run them in the Lee .358 push thru sizer.

Ready to load :cool:

I just finished casting 434 of these NOE 358 155 HP 9mm bullets. Next step is powder coat but here they are.

This HP version is 150gr using a 2% tin 80/20 ww/soft combo. They mic at .359 and will be sized to .357 after PC.

Bullet%20Custom_zpsww0yq2a1.jpg

I didn't get around to casting any this weekend. Yesterday I spent all day coating and baking a bucket of bullets that I cast last week, and today I was trying to smelt some wheelweights, but it has been rain/sun, rain/sun, alternating all day. Quite sticky and annoying. I keep having to put a big metal bucket over my smelting pot and run for cover.

But I did customize a new set of Lee handles to fit a new Lachmiller mold that I got (357-162 S.W.) It's a nice mold and I'm pretty excited about it, but I won't be making any more custom handles! I'll order mine already thinned (my vendor does that) for the next one. I have been scraping on this thing for at least two hours with my little 12" file and finally got it drawn down from the factory thickness of .311" to a useable .255" and now it will fit the mold.
emo38.gif

Here's the mold with the new handles:

lachmiller%20001_zpssp08ednp.jpg

lachmiller%20004_zpslgxhildz.jpg

Kudos to you Beagle333 for the persistence in filing those handles. They look fantastic, good job!

I just finished powder coating the entire batch of NOE 358 155 hp's I made today.

PC_blue%20Custom_zpsiotivotu.jpg

Oh man Beagle, your almost as big a glutton for punishment as I am, you do know those Lee handles thin down a LOT easier with a tiger disc, or flapper disc as some call them. If you pick one up that will fit a 4" grinder in about a 120 grit, it will last a LONG time for little projects like this.

I will say however that your handles look fabulous though. Nothing like a nice draw file finish to show off craftsmanship.
biggrin.gif

Oh and we went to the farm Saturday morning and I had standing water on top of the hill when we got there and it rained most of the time we were there. They are getting hammered again right now.

I did manage to shoot some of my cast 9mm bullets though and got my first kill with my new P226. I got a gofer at a range of about 15'. Unfortunately though it was a little too much to really decipher how well the bullet preformed. I guess it did great, he didn't move after the shot.....

And you'd be assuming that I have a 4" grinder.......

Well i figured it was simply a part of every redneck's machine shop....you know along with the vertical mill (drill press), and the surface grinder(belt sander).

It would behoove you to pick up a few of those small little items for little jobs like this. You could probably get one from HF for what one of those extra really needed molds would run ya....
biggrin.gif

Just sayin....

Nope. I'm old school. Waaaaaaay old..... like pre-baseball kinda old. :eek:
No drill press, no sander, no grinder wheel/brush, not even so much as a Dremel tool. Although I do have a cordless drill and a skilsaw in the "mechanized" cabinet.;)

Back