Its official

Jeff Gonzales

Folks,

It is official, I have been added to the newest forum here at the TFL. I am really excited to be here and look forward to the exchange of excellent ideas.

For those of you not familiar with me, please feel free to read my bio on our website. I am not very good at public relations so after suffering through that once, it was enough.

OK, so don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions and we will see about starting this off on high note.

Later,

A warm welcome Jeff. Thanks for stepping up.

For those who don't know him, Jeff is a 12 year veteran SEAL who has "seen the elephant" more than once. His career led him increasingly into training of elite forces and he currently operates from his own training company, Trident Concepts. Jeff is often found on the ranges at Gunsite as an Instructor and his thought provoking column, Up Close and Personal can be found in each issue of S.W.A.T..

Joining veteran Moderator Erick Gelhaus and S.W.A.T. editor, Denny Hansen, we think you'll quickly learn why this Forum is listed first!

Rich Lucibella

A set of queries for Jeff

Assuming your forming a team we will call it 10 bodies for some sneak in and snatch and grab ops in urban Iraq. How would you arm them? 3 car convoy for a person that has critical skills but is not well known. Arms and wheels? Big budget no constraints on arms.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Gonzales. It's always good to see the experienced sharing their hard-earned knowledge with those more fortunate souls that didn't have to risk life and limb.

You're doing a good job.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Gonzales. It's always good to see the experienced sharing their hard-earned knowledge with those more fortunate souls that didn't have to risk life and limb.

Thanks, it is good to be here and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks...

Assuming your forming a team we will call it 10 bodies for some sneak in and snatch and grab ops in urban Iraq. How would you arm them? 3 car convoy for a person that has critical skills but is not well known. Arms and wheels? Big budget no constraints on arms.

Please, send me an email, as I am not sure if this is the right format.

Good to have another member with your knowledge here - welcome!

Thanks...

A warm welcome Jeff. Thanks for stepping up.

Thank you, look forward to being a part of a good thing.

Jeff G.

Can you give some basics for those of us who don't have the opportunity to attend the hi-speed schools?

- How to approach a corner, a hallway, what can be used as cover inside the typical home?

Thanks,

Just some basics

- How to approach a corner, a hallway, what can be used as cover inside the typical home?

OK, this will be the Cliff Notes version and not a substitute for qualified training. For starters, what is the purpose? Are you moving to a contact or are you searching. There are different techniques for the different situation. Let us assume you are searching in a deliberate manner and your prescence is unknown.

First, maintain some distance from the threshold. Usually a gun length will suffice. So, if you are using a pistol, one pistol length and if you are using a carbine, one carbine length. Primarily for control of the weapon system so close to a danger area.

Second, minimize your exposure. We teach a Press Out technique that pretty much rules when it comes to actually doing clearning around corners. There are lots of other techniques that work great on a square range, but suck in real life. Not that it is difficult to explain, but I will reserve that for range work. Those who have been through our programs are free to chime in.

Third, get as much information as the situation allows. The biggest problem I see in this industry is the propensity to teach people to shoot faster than they can process the information. There are three things you must do in order to be effective. Locate the threat, Identify the threat and then engage/disengage the threat. Those that try to clear spaces through their sights set themselves up for real trouble in the real world.

Fourth, don't hesitate to bring the gun into a close contact position. If you are not sure what is going on, then assume a position that affords you more control. Too many folks will approach these situations as if they are all shoot threats, but there are plenty of situations where they are no shoot threats at close contact range, but you need to control them without it turning into a wrestling contest.

Sixth, when working hallways they are nothing more than extended fatal funnels. Make sure you have to go down there in the first place and then work from one positon of advantage to the next. Of course, this is if time permits.

As for cover, there is not much that will stop rifle rounds in a modern home, unless you live in a Green Home of rammed earth with walls that are 12 inches thick at a minimum. If it is mainly pistol rounds then door jams work pretty good as they have the more wood in a centralized location.

Lastly, use some common sense.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply,

Finally, someone who will actually explain this stuff without directing you to do a search. I have been trained to a small degree in MOUT techniques and also had some opportunity to be trained by some FBI types, and quickly found out there no single way to skin the cat. Not only that but tactics and such are constantly changing. I was taught to slice the pie, stay off the walls and so-forth., but having all these different entities doesn't do much for the confidence in one's abilities ie well that last instructor said this, now this one say's something different...so who do I believe?

Seems to me there are certain principles that always apply, but the actual way of doing is always on the move.

Welcome, Jeff. Your reputation precedes you. :cool:

Very glad to have someone so experienced and so willing to share with us here.

-Dave

Thanks...

S,

Don't get me wrong, I will also tell you to do a search of the existing threads because you will probably find more infomration. i understand your frustration and I am much more inclined to present the material and have you make an informed decision. This industry is ever changing and so to must your tactics. You cannot allow yourself to get too rooted into anyone thing and I know how hard that can be.

B,

Thanks for the compliments.

Later,

Those who have been through our programs are free to chime in.

The pressing out technique is the best I've seen for angular searching. (slicing the pie)

Jeff brings a fresh perspective to the training range. I've had the opportunity to train with some really great instructors, but Jeff has broken free of the traditional training methodologies. One example would be the development of a unique target system that combines speed and precision.

Moreover, some of the classes I've attended have the shooters performing a myriad of disjoined drills (at times). Jeff's curriculums are very structured with each evolution laying down a solid foundation for subsequent evolutions. It flows well and moves forward at a pace that covers a lot of ground without leaving anyone behind.

IMHO, Jeff is one of the most progressive and foward thinking trainers out there, and to use one of his quotes. "It's worth the effort."

Fred Darling.

Thanks...

Folks,

Thanks for the heart felt welcomes, I am glad to be around.

Fred, good to see you on the board and thanks for the compliments. See you on TFL.

Later,

Thanks

SKS,

Thanks for the welcome. I couldn't help notice your location and was very fortunate to spend a lot of time down in your neck of the woods a long time ago. ;) In fact, I still have my work-out shirts from World's Gym (I just cannot git rid of it no matter how hard my wife tries).

Later,

Back