It's not loaded

About 25 years ago a friend of mine bought a P89. After a trip to the range he brought it over so I could show him how to break it down for cleaning since he knew I had one. I asked him several times if it was unloaded; several times he assured me it was as the mag was out of it. I pulled back the slide and out popped a PMC Starfire from the chamber. I gave him a dirty look... he simply got up and walked out with a dumb look on his face. A week later he returned asking if it was safe for him to be at my home. He also spent the next 20 minutes apologizing for being an idiot. He NEVER made that mistake again.

Until it is confirmed that a gun is unloaded it is loaded. Point one at someone else at your own peril. If pointing a gun at someone gets you shot the "it wasn't loaded" defense won't hold water if you survive and try to sue them.

Seems like it's more often than not, the "unloaded" firearms that kill people.

Someone points a gun at me no matter the situation, I'm going to take offense at it and get involved.

That's just another reason why I don't use public ranges and shoot alongside others that I don't know.

Last edited:
No new shooter is anywhere near as dangerous as the "experienced" shooter who's been doing it for years. A new shooter can be corrected, but the "experienced" shooter has shot a box of ammo every deer season for 20 years and has always done it this way and nobody's ever been hurt or upset so you're the wrong one.

Unfortunately, it seems that some of the worst violations I see happen on crowded public ranges after you've just made an hour drive to be able to shoot.

its ironic how many people that are accidentally shot with unloaded guns.

so far Ive never been muzzle swept at a private range, but cant say how many times Ive been muzzle swept at a LGS or public range. Few years ago there was a LGS here that had an AD in the store, luckily no injuries. Of course that gun was unloaded too.

An unloaded gun killed my stepfather's brother. His two year old son was playing with a loaded 38 pistol. The wife tells him to get the gun and put it away. He picked up the gun, pointed it to his neck and told the wife "see its not loaded" Those were his last words.
Another instance
A set of twins 27 years old. One wants to tease his brother who is on the phone. Picks up a 45ACP, racks the slide and drops the magazine. Taps his brother in the shoulder who turns around. Points the pistol at his own head and squeezes the trigger, He died.
I bring this up on occasion to REMIND people that unloaded do guns kill people.

Back