It's a cast bullet kinda Thanksgiving!

Beagle333

Can't sleep, so here's the first few .480 Rugers through the sizer. I got a big pile of em to go. I made up about 60# of alloy today for my HP making, so I'm going to be as happy as a clam, casting and lubing for these few precious days off work!!!

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!:D

DSC05863_zpsfttv5mva.jpg

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Right back at ya bud.

I have been cutting up and grinding and wrapping and am about a pint low on go juice from the mosquitoes around here. Sheesh they are like swarms of bull gnats but WAY bigger. So far I have one from my bow and one from my .270, and will be taking the youngest grandson out for a quick hunt this morning before we head over to the inlaws for dinner. I'm hoping a slick head or spike comes out early and he can put it on it quickly so I can get it in the freezer before 10. Least then we can make it there on time for the food. LOL

I was at my friends on Monday and Tuesday going through some lead I had poured up lthis past spring and I gotta tell you those MP 640's shoot awesome outta my GP not to mention the ones in the 41. I have been hoping to get one into the shoulder of a deer but no dice so far. Maybe this evening or tomorrow morning if it isn't raining too hard.

I coated a bunch of bullets today too. Prolly around 500 of em.

480s, 357s and 44s. Got a pile to coat tomorrow as well.

DSC05875_zpshg10rea1.jpg

I like these Lee 44-250's (custom mold)
DSC05890_zps1jyotheo.jpg

Last edited:
Beagle, I never cease to be amazed. The sheer volume of production you have there in your casting setup. It is initially amazing that you make so many bullets, but the question in my mind is, when if ever do you get the time to shoot that many bullets?!

I picture in my mind a Tough Shed in your back yard with about 8 tons of cast and coated bullets stacked to the rafters.

Thanks as always for your postings. They always make me smile.

And it makes me want to go to the garage and fire up the pot and make some myself. I think I'll wait until the temperatures get up above 15 degrees however.

Regards,
Stubb

Beagle, .... It is initially amazing that you make so many bullets, but the question in my mind is, when if ever do you get the time to shoot that many bullets?!

I picture in my mind a Tough Shed in your back yard with about 8 tons of cast and coated bullets stacked to the rafters.

I'm coating again today! :D I pretty much don't have time to shoot. I work two jobs and I cast a LOT and I coat a LOT and so .... yeah.... there are heavy cardboard boxes stacked everywhere. This place won't blow away in a storm!

Wow Beagle333! Impressive casting. I'm 60 yrs old and only started casting about 1.5 years ago. Love to do it. Have never seen that 'coating' you are doing. Is there a thread that explains the material and process? Beautiful work!

Search the forum on Powder Coating. Powder coats are powdered resins you apply, then heat in an oven until they fuse into a solid coating. They started life as a better alternative to paint in industry. They turn out to lubricate well enough to get you out of having to apply bullet lube to your cast bullets. Makes for a cleaner bore and less smokey load.

Thanks a bunch Unclenick and Beagle333. I checked that thread out and it was helpful. This is quite an interesting thing going on that I've totally missed. Seems like it would be sufficient to control leading.

Watched some videos on this subject. Debating if I should look into PC since I already have a lubrisizer, dies, etc. Guess you could do both as time/interest suited you.

Those bullets Beagle333 look awesome. I might even flinch to shoot them.

I do both. I powdercoat when the weather is nice and I can go outside. But if cold, rainy, or after dark, I do have several lubesizers that I use. :)

Last edited:
Hey fellas. I'm on the cusp of buying a mould for a 30-30 I'm still waiting on to come from a Gunbroker auction. I had settled on a gas checked 180 grain RCBS mould, but I wonder, do you suppose that powder coating stuff would negate the need for a gas check?

I don't know if you could get rid of the gas check or not. That would depend on many things.... load, alloy, fit, ....... :confused:

I always use a check if it's a checked bullet design. The coating just provides slipperiness to the part of the bullet that rubs the barrel. It doesn't protect from gas cutting or stripping. :cool:

Pics? From inside the BatCave? I gotta keep some secrets! ;)

Beagle333, lets see pictures of the hoard of bullets you have
stock piled.

He would need a panoramic or maybe even a fish eye lens, and the pic would be so huge that by the time he reduced it to a size allowable here you would think you were looking at a jar of jelly beans. :eek:

I envy your workmanship sir.
Absolutely, the man does justice to the art of pouring lead...:D

In my experiance with bullet molds, RCBS, Lyman, they cast oversize bullets. In regard to bullet size (obviously you do not need a lube/sizer to lube when you powder coat), are you shooting them without sizing or are you sizing them in a lube/sizer (without lubing), and then powder coating?

Sizing swages the bullet down, along with the powdercoat. It shouldn't rub or scrape the coating, or there is a problem with your die. You can size em down several thousandths without affecting the coating. :)

Back