It's 2:00 AM and an Intruder is in your house

stephen426 -- great post.

The title of the thread was:

"It's 2:00 AM and an Intruder is in your house"

In addition, my post was in response to another poster who stated:

"First of all, if someone is in your house..."

Deferring me to a size 50 font wasn't necessary. ;)

Trip,

The big font was for the thread "do you sleep with a gun under your pillow". I just can't believe what a lack of common sense there is sometimes. People were talking about how it allows them to access their guns faster or how to draw undetected. On that post, I was just stressing the importance of having advanced warning.

If we are simply discussing whether or not to cock a pistol, then I guess it wouldn't matter as long as you kept your finger off the trigger. If you shoot low in DA, by all means shoot in SA.

Stephen, I understand.

I was only pointing out that this particular thread was dealing with when there is already someone in your house.

But, I absolutely agree that your first 1st, 2nd, 3rd...etc, lines of defense should have to be breeched before it's time to employ your DA/SA skills. Simply relying on your nightstand gun is a sign of being ill prepared.

Not all lines of defense are plausible, affordable, or practical for all living environments, but one should do what one can based on one's lifestyle, living conditions, and budget – in addition to firearms and training.

Whatever you're most comfortable with. If you feel you shoot more accurately in SA, then cock it. However, it's true you're less likely to accidentally discharge in DA.

As far as identifying, ensuring they're armed, etc...that's up to you and the state you live in.

Personally, I believe if you don't want to get shot, you shouldn't break into someone's home, armed or not.

Every situation's different, but if you're sure it's a intruder and not a family member, I don't think you should waste time trying to interview them to determine their true intentions. That could cost you the lives of yourself and your family. I say take them down.

Trip20 said:
Not all lines of defense are plausible, affordable, or practical for all living environments, but one should do what one can based on one's lifestyle, living conditions, and budget – in addition to firearms and training.

I'm not sure if you guys remember the movie Conspiracy Theory starring Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts. He had a few economical ways to alert him if there was an intruder. He placed a glass bottle upside down on the doorknob of his front door. While his other method may not be so practical, he shattered a light bulb and scattered it on the walkway so the crunch of the glass would alert him.

A few other cheapo methods to alert you of intruders is tying bells to your doors. It might look kind of silly but it would work. You could also buy a cheapo motion sensor from Radio Shack. Don't tell me you can't afford $15 bucks for your own security. Set this baby by the front door or the hall way leading to the bedroom, and an intruder will never get the drop on you.

Back