Ithaca offered...Need advice...

"Do not start collecting 37's. Do NOT start collecting 37's. DO NOT start collecting 37's..."

I keep telling myself that...

Mike,

That didn't work for me either. My particular bad habit is Ithaca 37 16ga guns.

The normal corncob forend would be on the "standard grade" guns. The gun below is my 1957 Deluxe Standard Grade. They were offered with the same cut checkered stocks, as used on the late 40's, early 50's. Eventually, even though the buttstocks were hand checkered on the Deluxe Std available in the early 60's, the stock design was switched to the standard grade (ie: blocky, less defined pistol grip, no scallops at the comb).

The 37T's and 37S's were offered with different wood than the normal standard grade guns.

The third picture is of the barrel pits that I had welded up. I am doing a complete, back to factory, restoration of this gun. I bought it because I turned 57 this year, was born in 1957 and this gun was made in 1957. I knew the pits were there, but because of what it is, and the price I got, it was a no brainer.

The barrel is back from being lazer welded and I need to get some pictures before I start filing and polishing.

This same style forend was used on the early 60's Deluxe Standard grades, even though the buttstock (as described above) was cheapened (or they simply ran out of the old style stocks).

I found my neighbor/hunting buddy a 1961 Std Grd Deluxe with a solid rib, Mod choke and 16ga to boot in a local shop.

The gun below is a 16ga (what else is there) and choked Mod.

I cleaned all the corrosion out using Birchwood Casey, Rust and Blue Remover and some very fine stainless wire brushes. You have to work the ends down into the pits and do a circular motion with the end of the bristles so it will abrade the corrosion out. The R&B remover is an acid based product that chemically alters the rust. With patience you can get the rust down to bare clean metal.

the last picture is of a late 40's/early 50's buttstock over a late 50's, early 60's buttstock, the later pressed checkered ones were basically variations of the latter.

on the early 60's Deluxe Std Grade, they used the bottom stock, with hand cut checkering as I mentioned above, instead of the more graceful design of the earlier era.

dc

408757814.jpg

408757813.jpg

408890706.jpg

405923354.jpg

Last edited:
That's very cool, I didn't know that the delux grade (I've never seen one, only standard grade models) had a different forearms.

I'd really like to pick up a 20 gauge to go along with my 12 gauge, and perhaps even one of the elusive 28-gauge models...

But, I stopped looking for the 20 gauge when I picked up a Stevens side by side in 20 a couple of summers ago.

Dang, just looked at the Ithaca page on the 28...

Maybe it's time to finally put a downpayment on one and have it made.

I wonder if they would make me one without that ugly ass ventilated rib?

If you really want to see nice Ithacas, check out the real "Deluxe" grades, not just the Deluxe Std Grade, which simply had an upgraded wood design, but still used the same grade of walnut the standard ones used.

Ithaca Gun, in it's hey day, put out guns that were second to none.

During the factory tour last year, I saw how the barrels were made and finished.
The vent rib lugs are machined in while the barrel was being profiled. They would have to machine the lugs off, which would require precision machining, especially in the tapered area of the barrel.

You could end up with a gun costing LOTS more than it is worth, but you would have to call and ask them.

I believe that sometime in the past you mentioned to me as to what you are looking for in a 20ga. Currently there is one on the auction sites, a 1953 choked mod if I remember correctly

I watch the sites every day looking for Ithacas for friends,acquaintances and just the simple entertainment of what is appearing for sale.

If you truly are in the market for a gun, PM me the specs and your budget.

Currently I am on the lookout for a 20ga 37S that actually has a Skeet marked barrel (Ithaca did sell S&T's with whatever barrel choke was ordered). I have a collector acquaintance that is looking for a high end condition 20ga 37S not myself.

This 16ga 37S is a little pricey, but I wanted to share with all the forum members here what they look like. These are really cool guns. These are the type guns Ithaca actually put their own ribs on prior to 63/64'ish. They shared the rib style with the Knick single barrel trap (IIRC) (lawyer speak, posting this link does not endorse, recommend etc the sale of this Ithaca, only put here to share the gun as I do not know or have any connection to these folks)

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ithaca-37-S-rare-16-gauge-Skeet-grade.cfm?gun_id=100194663

Well, as I noted, my desire to pick up a 20 gauge really dipped when I got my Stevens SxS 20 a few years ago.

It would be nice to have one, but right now I need to dig out from car repairs and vet bills.

I feel your pain.

We have to put in a septic system in the next couple weeks. Last year the head bodyguard needed 1200.00 in vet bills. We lost a tree to the emerald ash borers. It just goes on and on, sucking out money that could be spent on a new (old) shotgun. I actually collected some scrap to help pay for that 1957 so that I wouldn't impact the checking account !

He is a gentle dog, but no one comes in uninvited. He weighs almost 130 non-fat lbs, his brother 115 lbs.

347488130.jpg

Unfortunately, my boy went for his final ride a week ago today.

But, we're getting off topic, and I'm staff, so I should know better than that. :)

Dogs and Ithacas go together. As long as we keep coming back to the topic, I think all is well.

We covered this original topic to an extreme depth over on the "the high road" forum. In the discussion over there at that forum, it came to light that the gun has an "odd" barrel length. Ithacas of the era of the gun the OP is speaking about were typically offered in 26,28 or 30 inch lengths. The gun in the original post may have had the barrel shortened.

There are a couple Ithaca devoted forums over on Shotgun World and hung off the Ithaca Gun website. There is a wealth of historical information there. For folks that are interested in Ithaca 37's, there is a book, written by Walt Snyder, that details pretty much the entire history of the gun and the company. The new Ohio iteration is only mentioned a little, if at all. Not due to any slight, just the book was written a few years ago.

I have copy and it is a true treasure chest.

this is an example of the book (this is not an endorsement of Amazon dot com, nor any of its vendors, I am simply pointing it out to forum members)

http://www.amazon.com/Ithaca-featherlight-repeaters-complete-history/dp/0962946915

the book that Walt wrote that is hard to come by is the actual history of the company. check out the asking price

http://www.amazon.com/Ithaca-Gun-Company-From-Beginning/dp/0962946907

the book obtained a collector status and is out of print.

I mentioned over on THR road and will repeat for the folks here that didn't see that post, the ribs on Ithaca Solid Rib guns (37R's) were soft soldered on and cannot be hot blued. The rib will come off. They need touched up with cold blue or old fashioned rust blued if completely refinished.

Last edited:
My father, who recently passed away, came to me when I was 12yo (in 1977) and said he had found someone that would be willing to trade my unused aquarium set for a shotgun.

Being 12, I thought that was the best thing ever! I didn't know at the time just what a swap he had arranged.

In my gun safe, the prized gun is my Ithaca m37 20ga.

All original. The rear stock has seen some abuse, but I remember how every mark got on it.

What a beautiful shotgun.

I have a few 37s, found a 20 ga a few months ago that looked like it had not been even handled much. I had to buy it, for my 2 year old grandson, he will need one. but I don't think I will tell him about it until he is 35 or so. 37s are like lays potato chips, can't have just one.

David

I built the one on the bottom of the pics for my wife from pieces parts. I bought an empty receiver from Numrich, repurposed a cutoff stock from a 1951, got a pre-war forend, matched the buttstock to the forend (which was immaculate), found a 24" vent rib, choke tubed barrel in Iowa, recut the checkering.

I found the receiver internals on eBay and bought a few parts, screws, magazine tube from Ithaca Gun itself. Since then, I have acquired an earlier era magazine tube which I am going to have reblued and fit it to the receiver.

Ithaca Gun made a design change that the current IthacaGun inherited regarding the magazine tubes. The design change contributed to the feeding problems where an Ithaca would dump shells on the ground. The change made the timing of the shell stops more critical. I fixed this particular mag tube by machining an insert.

I own 2 12ga Model 37's and have acquired new old stock (NOS) mag tubes to convert them over to the old style.

In and of itself, this is a long story. If someone wants to know more, start a new thread and I will explain the whole thing.

The middle one was in process. Another one I did for my wife. I had already recut the checkering and was fitting buttplate. I sand them to the wood and reshoot the lacquer. (original Ithacas were sprayed with Duco Lacquer - Dupont Company).

Both are 16ga guns. The middle gun has a poly-choke. The gun at the top is her youth/lady sized 1100 20ga. The 16's weigh just a few ounces more than the 20 and I got the stock fitment correct, as she shoots them all just fine. She is 5'3" 115lbs.

16ga Ithaca 37's are my absolute favorite, but I am sure you all have figured that out by now :)

406906374.jpg

406906372.jpg

406906371.jpg

Endgame...

Well, made an offer of $180 and then went away for the weekend. Came back and offer was accepted by the consignor. (Asking price had been $200.) Consignee contacted me with the word. Long story short: I bounced over with $180 cash in hand and came back with a 37.

Checked bore (mirror-like) and bbl-to-receiver tightness (nice & snug) before finalizing.

Guess I'll have to sell one of my Mossberg 500's.

Am eager to get the 37 to the trap range. Yes, I know it's full choke--I'll let the clay birds get out there a ways before firing.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments and advice.

Mike Irwin--Sympathy re. your pooch. BTDT--It always hurts.

Pix, finally...

Well, here she is. An ordinary 1953 12-ga 37R; nothing special in any way, except of course, that SHE'S MINE! :) :) :)

Posed with a box of my reloads. Closeups can't be shown on this forum--take my word for it, the stock is cracked a bit at the tang.

Attachments

• P6130354.Lside copy.JPG
    P6130354.Lside copy.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P6130356.Rside copy.JPG
    P6130356.Rside copy.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 26
Very nice. Looks as if it's seen good, honest use.

Remember, this is of an age that you can slam fire it, so make sure to keep your finger off the trigger if you are cycling the action.

Do a final check..

Is the barrel SN, the same as the SN on the right front receiver face?
They match, ok, if no match have the headspace checked!

Early made (pre 855,00 SN) the barrel and receiver were specially mated, the post 855000 would accept other barrels.

On the pre-855,000 barrels, you have to understand how they were fitted.

On every one of my old ones, and every old one that I have seen, there is a witness mark. You can deduce from that witness mark, that the barrels were threaded into the receivers, the witness mark applied by utilizing a fixture, metal marking device (whether it was stamped, engraved, etc I cannot say), then from that mark all the rest of the operations were performed, from milling the extactor cuts, machining the thread interrupts, drilling the hole for the sight and silver soldering on the barrel lug.

The pre-855 threads actually have a "pitch" to them, just like a bolt and when you engage them and turn them radially to seat, actually are drawn in a little.

The post-855,000 are really just "V" shaped grooves that are precisely spaced.

There is a dimensional relationship between the front of the receiver and an internal shoulder where the threads of both type end. There is the same dimension relationship between the shoulder and barrel face.

Either type can be misfitted and cause a headspace issue if you try hard enough, I know, I did just to see if it could be done.

A gunsmith can fit a one pre-855 barrel to another pre- receiver as long as they understand the dimensional relationship and the fact that they are dealing with a pitch on the threads. In a simple sort of explanation, you would remove .001 or so from the barrel face and the same from the barrel shoulder and see if it will engage. You would keep removing the same amount of material until the barrel engages and turns 90 deg into position, locates itself and allows the small diameter lug on the magazine cap to locate into the corresponding counter bore that exists at the end of the locating slot on the barrel lug.

I have a barrel that is serial nbr'ed to another gun, that was fitted to one of my guns before I bought it. Whoever did the fitting understood the dimensions as I thoroughly measured the barrel to ensure it was safe to shoot.

On the post 855-000 barrels, without the magazine cap being in the way, non-vent rib barrels will spin all the way around, vent rib barrels would run into the magazine tube

Back