Ithaca offered...Need advice...

Smokey Joe

Local antique dealer has an Ithaca Model 37R for sale. The M-37 is Ithaca's excellent pump shotgun, with bottom loading AND ejection--Making it a great shotgun for lefties. I'm somewhat interested. Cannot find any info at all on the 37R. (There is lots of info on 37's generally, of course.)

On cursory inspection, the shotgun looks "Okay," plenty of evidence of use, but in working condition.

So, what's with the "R" designation? Gun is a 12 ga, full choke, 2 3/4" chamber.

Any suggestions as to (a) what we have here, or (b) where to go for more info. The "official" Ithaca Gun Co. website only talks abt their new production. There doesn't seem to be an Ithaca collectors' group.

Great shotguns.

Is it one of the older ones with the "corn cob" forearm, or one of the newer ones?

I have my father's 12 gauge that he bought new in the early 1950s.

The only problem with them is that they are VERY light. Firing a bunch of even light shells can start to batter you if you don't take precautions.

The worst pain I ever experienced was firing a slug out of that gun when I was a teenager. Didn't have it bedded correctly and boy did it bite.

The only problem with them is that they are VERY light.

I guess much depends on how much carrying vs how much shooting you might be doing with it as to how much of a problem the light-weightness affects you. You don't see many Model 37s on the trap or skeet fields anymore or in duck blinds shooting "short magnums" for that matter. I've always been impressed, though, as to how light Ithaca is able to make their Model 37 pump gun, given the fact that the receiver is made from steel. They handle and shoot well in typical upland hunting environs.
For a few years, Ithaca made a model with an alloy receiver (Model 37 English Ultralite), billed as "the world's lightest pump". The 20 gauge variant of this model weighed 4 3/4 pounds; the 12 gauge weighing in at a mere 5 1/2 pounds. Now that shotgun might have more appropriately been dubbed "The Flinch Maker". :eek:

Last edited:
The Model 37R has a solid rib on the barrel. Is it light, not as light as a standard Model 37.

But what your looking at is a ALL steel gun with machined parts. No plastic or alloy, no injection molded or stamped parts like other guns out there. And real walnut stocks.

All Ithaca's balance well with the weight equal between your hands. That's why upland game hunters like them. When a bird flushes a hunter needs a gun that comes to the shoulder quickly and swings properly.

If you need a left hand safety, it can be swapped out in no time, but if you want Zak at the factory will install it for you. The factory in Ohio supports all the model 37's, parts are off the shelf.

Thx for all responses...

So, what we have here is a nice, solid, but light, upland gun for pheasants, quail, and such. Thx for the description, DG Ludwig.

Mike Irwin--Shame on me--I didn't take note of the forearm. Will check.

Jaguar XK 120--Nice to know the safety can be swapped out. I'm checking this shotgun for a friend who is a lefty. Another friend who is a lefty, obtained a 20 ga. 37 many years ago and LOVED it.

But I'll advise my friend NOT to use it as a goose gun.

I suspect some feel the 37 is too light in a 12 bore but it isn't.
The one you are looking at isn't a 3" mag, & Walmart has lots of 1 and 1 1/8 oz. # 7.5 shot which is dandy for quail, grouse, & such.
The standard 12 bore load for the 2 3/4 inch hull is 1 1/4 oz. & not
a mankiller in recoil.
The 1 1/4 oz. load with shot you prefer is just fine for pheasants.
When I did a lot of rabbit hunting I used inexpensive 1 oz. loads
of #6 shot in my 37 with modified choke and it was more than enough.
Many, many, years ago when Sears sold guns & ammo & lead was still
the only shot metal my dad bought a case of Sears 12 ga. loads with 1 oz . of #4 shot.
I took a slew of woodies & teal with that load.
Jump shooting the l'il ducks off wooded creeks & shallow rivers the distances were generally under 35 yards, often much less. It was like grouse hunting only off the water.

I suspect some feel the 37 is too light in a 12 bore but it isn't.

Not me, for sure. I think the Model 37 in 12 gauge is one of the finest handling and shooting pump guns ever made; ranks right up there with the Remington Model 31 in my estimation.

dgludwig the 12 gauge 37 is really great to hunt with, but you MUST try a 16 gauge -- now that's one gun you won't want to put down. Nothing handles better than a Ithaca in 16 gauge.

I assume that the Model 37 when chambered for the 16 gauge is scaled for same. I personally have little use for shotguns having a 16 gauge barrel affixed to a 12 gauge receiver.

The Ithaca frames are scaled to each gauge, thus the 16 is smaller, and the 20 is smaller than the 16.
The new 28 gauge has it's own frame.

If a 16 is made on a 12 gauge frame what good is it? Some of the nicest doubles ever made are the 16 gauges.

Thx to all for the responses...

Mr. Ludwig & Mr. Jaguar--You're getting a little esoteric. But interesting nevertheless!

Note to self--Do not start collecting 37's. Do NOT start collecting 37's. DO NOT start collecting 37's...

Got back to the dealer...

He wasn't in, but his assistant let me in. Therefore couldn't dicker about pricing, etc. But, I did check the things you've asked me about:

Barrel--28 3/8" of it beyond the receiver. It does have a solid rib as it should. Labelled "2 3/4" chamber" and "Full Choke." Seems to be tight to receiver.

Serial # is 504XXX-4, which says that it was manufactured in 1953. What is the "-4" for??

Bore looks to be OK--a little what might be shallow pitting, but could just be dirt--None of that up by the choke.

Function--I ran some empty shells through the gun (with permission.) Feeds just fine; VERY enthusiastic ejection! Takes 3 in magazine + 1 in chamber.

Receiver is steel, not Aluminum.

Blueing--shows a little wear & tear--You couldn't call it rust spots, just some rough-looking spots on the barrel.

Stock--Finish is "OK". Gun has been used in the field, not cherished in a collection. 3 or so cracks starting right at the front end of stock; don't look serious.

Fore-end--Is what I think you call "corncob."

The "-4" tells you what choke the barrel has, Ithaca used a dash and a number telling what the choke was.

4 is full choke
3 is improved Modified
2 is Modified
1 is improved cylinder

The cracks at the receiver are from stress and oil soaking into the stock.

As the weather changes the tension on the stock changes. The stocks should be snug but not so tight to fracture the wood.

Actually the magazine will take four loaded shells.

"Fore-end--Is what I think you call "corncob."

Yes, it would be.

Ithaca didn't switch to a more modern box style forearm until the early 1960s.

Back