It Does Happen In America - The Political Trial of Don Siegelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It was purely a political witch hunt for revenge. Just what you'd expect from a political party based on intolerance

I see Libby's felony convictions were purely a political witch hunt, but Don Siegelman's were completely just and fair even though 52 former state attorneys-general, of both parties, have asked Congress to investigate the Siegelman case. In the mist of a scandalous and completely politicized justice department that forced Gonzales to step down.

How objective and unpartisan you are. :barf:

As for people complaining about the process, evidence, and verdict, I cannot remember a criminal trial in which no one complained about the process, evidence, and verdict.

So I guess 52 former state attorneys-general, of both parties, who’ve asked Congress to investigate the Siegelman case, are just partisan hacks and conspiracy theorist. :rolleyes:

Lol, the ends to which certain people will go to to protect their party or their politicians are really quite hilarious.

So I guess 52 former state attorneys-general, of both parties, who’ve asked Congress to investigate the Siegelman case, are just partisan hacks and conspiracy theorist.
The true reason is what you leave out: they're all people who don't want their buddies and possibly themselves to lose their defacto invincibility. Governors deserve to go to jail all the time but rarely do and it scares them that one finally did.

The true reason is what you leave out: they're all people who don't want their buddies and possibly themselves to lose their defacto invincibility. Governors deserve to go to jail all the time but rarely do and it scares them that one finally did.

Or perhaps they saw a man being thrown in prison for political reasons.

Siegelman defenders point out that over 100 charges were thrown out by three different judges, and the investigating U.S. Attorney was the wife of Siegelman's political opponent's campaign manager.

Siegelman defenders argue that the sentence and fine are unusual and excessive because, for example, former Alabama Governor Guy Hunt, a Republican, was found guilty in state court of personally pocketing $200,000, and state prosecutors sought probation, not jail time, in the Hunt case.

Given that there are many former republican attourney generals speaking out about this, its pretty compelling case that Seigalman was treated unfairly. It addition to the highly politicized justice department under Bush that resulted in attourneys being fired for political reasons and Bush's own attourney general being sacked for several different controversies.

And a jury found him guilty. Of a crime. And he was sentenced for that crime.

George Bush was not on the jury. The Attorney General was not on the jury.

GUILTY. You do the crime, you do the time. Simple as that. Sorry to ruin your conspiracy theory. :rolleyes:

And a jury found him guilty. Of a crime. And he was sentenced for that crime.

Right. And juries are always right, nobody has ever had their conviction ever overturned. :rolleyes:

http://www.knbc.com/news/15259712/detail.html?subid=10101581

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20779755/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_v._State_of_Georgia

George Bush was not on the jury. The Attorney General was not on the jury. .

When did I say he was. Strawman.

GUILTY. You do the crime, you do the time. Simple as that. Sorry to ruin your conspiracy theory.

Lol, questioning if someone got a fair trial with a fair amount of evidence that they did not, is not a conspiracy theory. Congressional investigations are conspiracy theory!!!!!!!!

Of course if Siegalman gets his conviction overturned or a lighter sentence, I am almost 100% sure you will be the first one plugging a conspiracy on the part of the democrats.

Actually, I will be the first one lauding the appellate system, rather than screeching about how President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Mr. Gonzales, or any other republican or democrat was responsible for the conviction.

But don't let the conviction by a jury get in your way of hating republicans. :rolleyes:

Right. And juries are always right, nobody has ever had their conviction ever overturned.

Well you can warble about conspiracies when this one is overturned...

Until then, just the usual whining from a convicted criminal.:)

Free Mumia. Free Russel Means. Free lunch

WildfreebirdAlaska TM

Richard Scrushy was the first and only CEO to be tried under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act for the $2.7 billion fraud that occurred at HealthSouth. On June 28, 2005, the jury in Birmingham, AL found him not guilty. Five consecutive HealthSouth chief financial officers had all pled guilty to fraud and each of them implicated Scrushy, but Scrushy was acquitted on all 36 counts that were brought against him. The jury was quoted as saying, "The lack of evidence is what produced the verdict".

On October 26, 2005, just four months after being acquitted, Scrushy was indicted on new charges of bribery and mail fraud in connection with former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman. Two former Siegelman aides were charged in the indictment as well.

In short, Siegelman was accused of trading government favors for campaign donations when he was governor from 1999 to 2003 and lieutenant governor from 1995 to 1999, and Scrushy was accused of arranging $500,000 in donations to Siegelman's campaign for a state lottery in exchange for a seat on a state hospital regulatory board.

On June 29, 2006, a Federal jury found both Scrushy and Siegleman guilty on multiple charges, including bribery, mail fraud, and obstruction of justice.

On June 28, 2007, Scrushy was sentenced to 82 months in federal prison, three years probation, $267,000 in restitution and a fine of $150,000. He was also ordered to perform 500 hours of community service.

You've got to watch where you aim. I suspect Scrushy was the juicy target.

There is indeed discrepancy between the treatment of Hunt and siegelman, and it lies not in Siegelman getting undeserved punishment, but Hunt being undeservedly spared of it.

And juries are always right, nobody has ever had their conviction ever overturned.
Even if a conviction is overturned, that is not the end of the story.

Convictions are reversed for a variety of reasons. Some lead to a retrial; some don't. Some errors are procedural; some are structural. These reasons do not necessarily mean the defendant was not guilty, nor do they mean that the jurors acted improperly.

Sometimes, at retrial the defendant is convicted again because the prosecution fixes an evidentiary error made in the first trial, which means the evidence was sufficient to convict but not presented correctly.

Sometimes, even if the prosecution's first case is completely thrown out, the defendant is tried a second time and convicted because the defendant committed enough crimes to warrant a new trial on different charges.

Siegelman had enough money and connections to hire good legal counsel. He will no doubt appeal his conviction. At the time his appeal is decided, we'll know whether he got railroaded or not. Given the proficiency level of legal counsel on both sides, I suspect his conviction will be affirmed. But we'll have to wait and see what actually happens.

You have no facts, nor evidence, to back that up.

Give it a break. Only an absolute fool [or closet Tory] couldn't smell the corruption in our system(s) of gov't...

Green Cheese.

We don't have to point out the quality of your thoughts expressed here, mate.

The judicial system is near totally corrupt.

That's not green cheese. That's neon green cheese. Oh, the corruption! I suppose that the Judge, the Jury, and the Court of Appeals are all "corrupt." :rolleyes:

will be the first one lauding the appellate system, rather than screeching about how President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Mr. Gonzales, or any other republican or democrat was responsible for the conviction.

Show me where I said Bush was responsible? He was responsible for a politicized justice department, no doubt, that is why Gonzales was forced out, but he was not responsible for Seigleman.

Why do you insist on repeating the same old strawman lie over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back